Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

White's Chrome excel leather

Deckburner

New in Town
Hi, I am wondering if anyone could describe the differences between White's Boots leathers: their semi-dress brown, and their Chrome excel. I actually called Whites directly for some information, and the first words in the response were, "well.....not really...". And after searching briefly, I was hoping that someone might be able to provide some info here since the people here have steered me in the right direction in the past (Aero FQHH, Scott Willis's products, Red Wings...).

Thankyou,
SC

Grayland

Call Me a Cab
I've been giving serious thought to ordering some White's Semi-Dress boots. While you are probably looking for the difference in the leather itself, I have noticed that the "regular" semi-dress brown is almost black in color (similar to the Blundstone Stout Brown color), while the brown chromexcel is what I would consider a traditional dark brown.

IsaacRN

One of the Regulars
I have a sample of the semi dress brown, and a pair of the chromexcel brown. WORLDS of difference. I would like to say that the brown chromexcel is a lovely rustic type of brown. There is variation to color along creases. I have a picture of them on the White's Semi Dress thread. The sample of Brown Semi Dress is basically black in my opinion. It is the deepest of chocolate browns. I would prefer the chromexcel myself. I currently have black/brown/burgundy chromexcel Semi Dress'

Deckburner

New in Town
Thank you. After getting a call back from kyle at Bakers, i ordered the brown chrome excel throguh Bakers Kyle said some of the same things stated above. He was moremthan helpful, spending about 15 minutes on the phone with me telling me about all of the details...he offered plenty of advice and suggestions based on my brother's (the boots are my christmas present to my brother) height, extremely wide foot, and what environment he would wear these in. He even called me back when he realized there was an error in the order...saved me from buying a 8 FF, when i really need a 9FF. Great guy. Because of him, i give Bakers my highest recommendation.

bretron

Call Me a Cab
The semi-dress is a much thinner leather than CXL. I've got custom Smokejumpers in black CXL, leather lined, and theyre diesel. I wouldn't trade em for squat. However, if you're going for the Semidress boot, and want a more dressy look, you may want the namesake leather. However, if you're going for a work boot, go Chrome IMO (or, I understood that White's may be offering horsehide at some point).

My suggestion would be to work with the good boys at Baker's Shoe (http://www.bakershoe.com) of Eugene, OR. These guys are excellent at communication and advice (give em a call), and will get you the best price you can find on customs (not to mention options). Use their Build-A-Boot program, nad have about 2billion options- seriously!! I was insanely anal about deciding on my custom White's (single or double midsole, lacetotoe or standard, toe cap or not, black or brown, etc)- it took me MANY months (literally!), and these guys were crazy patient with me.

Best of luck!

CodeRed

One of the Regulars
I believe that bakers already has them in both HH and cord for sale, although the cord is very pricey

billyb

Familiar Face
Chromexcel has "pull up " character and is heavier but more subtle than the Semi-Dress brown. You made the right call by going with the Chromexcel. I have a pair of Semi-Dress in British Tan which is a nice medium-dark brown with some pull up. However, I over oiled them in the beginning and after a year they are just now starting to get right again. Matter of fact, I bought them from Baker's.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy