Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

White's Semi-dress Boots..

daizawaguy

Call Me a Cab
My new Water buffalo semi dress Dark brown and Black cherry

DSC_0125.jpg

illumin8em

A-List Customer
^^ Those are great looking boots, but I can't figure out why anyone would get a block heel on a pair of White's. My opinion still hasn't changed in the few years the option has become available. I have walked around in a lightly broken in pair with the block heel, and absolutely could tell the difference between them and my other White's with standard heels. It was not a good difference. I wonder if the folks at White's just shake their heads when an order for a boot with block heels comes through. It just seems to defeat the purpose of the last. Obviously, to each his own. You sir are the perfect person to give a true lived comparison.

eClairvaux

One of the Regulars
Still great looking boots, very lovely and subtle color combination! I have to ask which is which in regards to leathers?

As for the block vs. cuban heel: I have both in various combinations and can't say the difference is that significant to me. I'd say the heel height and the sole configuration makes a much bigger difference than the actual shape of the heel.

Stylewise I agree, that White's are typically associated with Cuban heels and it somehow waters down their unique appearance without them. That is of course only a factor to yourself and any White's-lover you might run into. At least where I live the cuban heel is very unusual and not that easy and versatile to combine with a wardrobe that's suitable for the office.

Last edited:

bl@ster

One of the Regulars
My new White's SD are in from Baker's. Went with the "classic brown" leather this time around, with tapered heel, and 1/4" lowered heel. Couldn't be happier with them. According to Baker's, the "classic brown" leather is dry-tanned and will take a polish nicely and patina with age similar to the dress brown. It will develop a crackly finish and patina fairly quickly.

Here's the full config:
Last Standard, Sole Leather, Size - Length 11, Hardware All Antique Eyes, Edge Natural, Upper (Shaft) Leather Classic Brown, Midsole Single, Pull Loops No Thanks, Leather Liner Tan, Sole Trim Close Trim, Toe Vamp Leather Classic Brown, Size - Width D (medium), Toe Cap No Thanks, Celastic Toe Box Single Celastic Toe, Heel Base Standard

Here are a couple shots. I tried to color correct these as best I could, but in real life they are more of a deep brown and less saturated in color:

new_sd_01.jpg

new_sd_02.jpg

new_sd_03.jpg

new_sd_04.jpg

Dickie Teenie

A-List Customer
Just got my order in on some SD, thanks for all the suggestions and photo's guys.... just some dress browns w/cap and single sole w/vibram half sole's not the mini lug's...from Baker's. Should be arriving about the time i get home from Greece...mmmmm

jack miranda

A-List Customer
I've been following this thread, and White's boots for awhile; today, I took the plunge and ordered a pair of SD: brown chromexcel, standard last, 1/4" drop blocked heel, cap toe, vibram half sole. Nothing flashy, and making use of all the accumulated knowledge on this thread. Now the wait. I'll post pics, of course, when they arrive. 4? 5? weeks. Thank you, guys, for all the insight, tips, hints, and ideas.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo