Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

White's Semi-dress Boots..

1911 Man

A-List Customer
I just visited Baker's Build a boot. They seemed to have changed it. You used to be able to build a smoke jumper from scratch, and make it 6" tall. Now you can only select from a few pre-configured models, and make some changes to them, but all of them start at 8", and are more expensive. What happened? I was hoping to build some custom 6" smoke jumpers this fall. I'm also still undecided on which brown I want.

bretron

Call Me a Cab
^^Hey man, you got updated photos of your British Tan SDs? I'd love to see how they've aged!

Pat Spade

Familiar Face
Hi everyone, my first post here. Can somebody tell me if sizes of the Semi Dress are comparable to Red Wing`s Iron Rangers, or are White`s running bigger?
Thanks in advance....

frussell

One Too Many
This may have been answered before, but do the White's Semi Dress boots have more arch support than something like a pair of Iron Rangers? I like my Redwings a lot, but they have no arch support at all, so I'm looking for something with similar looks but better support for back, plantar issues. On the Bakers site, they are also selling an "original dress boot," as well as an "original work boot" that look very much like the SDs, if anyone knows the difference, or if there's a particular last I should be looking at, that would be helpful. I wore a pair of White's packers for a while when I was younger and rode more, but they had that tall, stacked heel that made on the ground chores a pain. Thanks, Frank.

bretron

Call Me a Cab
They have a hell of a lot more arch support than just about anything else on the market. If you're looking for arch, you're going to love White's. as to the standard dress vs standard work boots; it's a difference of lasts. The semi dress last vs the smokejumper last. The latter has a much boxier toe. The former is, well, dressier; tho as advertised semi-dressy ;) If you're looking for something to wear to a wedding stick with Alden's or Tricker's IMO. Tho I prefer weddings that are cool with a workwear attire (and have a generous bartender)!

bretron

Call Me a Cab
Btw- here's what up on the docket for me but with double leather soles- nothin fancy, but this thread is long overdue for some pics

48F87727-873C-46FB-9A8C-E75B77A4EA57-7359-0000068EFC8AEE7D_zpsafff0fe4.jpg

Boyo

Call Me a Cab
Hey Bret^^ I think its time you showed us a few samples from your stock. I'm sure that closet is pretty full of great boots!

bretron

Call Me a Cab
Boyo, haha! Cheers man. I think you'd be a little disappointed actually... But you bet man. As soon as I get these SDs ill do it. Not that it stops there- haha. Got my eyes on a pair of soft toe roughout bounty hunters (for a quasi boondocker look)- hopefully by jan or feb ill be ready to pull the trigger

How bout you? I know you haven't stopped at the RCs ;)

Boyo

Call Me a Cab
I haven't taken the leap yet.. but I've been eyeing the Oak Street Bootmaker rough out Trench boot that they've put up recently. I def. want to give Oak Street a try.

Edit: I just saw your post in Outerwear..too funny I guess we are on the same page.

Last edited:

bretron

Call Me a Cab
Haha, yeah man. It's one sick boot IMO. Tho be advised it fits pretty wide in the toe box. I have tried both a pair of 10s and 9.5s and can't seem to nail the fit. Which is why I'm sticking with White's.

Last edited:

53Effie

A-List Customer
Very, very good looking boots. I really like them. You did good Bretron. What's next on the horizon?

bretron

Call Me a Cab
Mike, Boyo, thx gents!! I'm really really pleased with em. They're my first pair of boots on the Semi Dress last, but certainly not my last pair:) helps that wifey actually approves!!! To me, at <$400 they're a practical bargain when you consider what Viberg, Julian and a few others charge for similar craftsmanship.
Like a Good Wear jacket 2-5 years ago.

Next up (probably not for at least another 4-6 mos though) are a pair of 6" soft toe bounty hunters in roughout, as a nod to WWII service shoes/boondockers.

winterland1

Practically Family
Betron your new boots look great. I need the rubber sole though.
I am still figuring out things about mine. Are yours lined? I see where it looks rough on the inside in the picture. Mine are smooth inside but was thinking they are unlined maybe mine are lined.

bretron

Call Me a Cab
Mine are unlined, tho I kinda sorta wish I would have opted for the "red" lining (which is more of a russet), just because it might have snugged up the fit a wee bit more. If yours feel smooth then they're definitely lined. Trust that I hear ya on the leather soles. Seattle has its share of weather issues, I'm sure you've heard :) thankfully no salt issues, tho

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails