Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

White's Semi-dress Boots..

BillJackson

New in Town
Holy cow. Thats an impressive screw up. Thats the first I have heard of something like that happening with White's. So they wouldn't do anything about this? Even with the wrong color lining? That seems like a pretty cut and dry error on their end.

winterland1

Practically Family
I had posted questions about how to condition White's boots. http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?74958-Conditioning-polishing-White-s-Boots
Here is what I did and it seemed to work for me. Thought I would keep this in the Semi-Dress boot thread.
I purchased White's Leather Preservative which is Obernauf's LP, Fiebings Edge Dye Dark Brown and Kiwi black polish which I had already.
My White's Semi-Dress purchased used were in overall great shape but I wanted to get them in top shape for Minnesota winter.
They had a few scuffs on the leather uppers and also the edges of the brown dyed soles were ruffed up a bit. I could have just put conditioner on them and they would have been fine, but I am a picky ba***rd.
I wasn't sure what to put on first but the first thing I did was clean them with just a rag and some water. I then applied the black polish to just the scuff mark areas. I let it dry and then applied some more and buffed with a dry cloth. I then used a procedure I have used with leather huinting boots for years and turned on the oven to 170. I put in one of the Semi-Dress boots for a couple minutes. Took out and applied the Obernauf's LP with a clean cloth. It melted right in. I did this to the leather upper and then decided to also apply to the leather heel, mid sole edges and upper edge. Why not it needs protection too. I did both boots then let them sit for 1/2 hour. I then applied some more polish to the scuff areas. Let it dry for an hour. I then buffed out the whole boot with a cloth and a few drops of water to get the shine going.
They came out great. The scuffs were 80% covered up and the rest of the boots looked great and well protected from the elements.
I then applied the Fiebings dye with a very small paint brush as recommended to the edges and top edge of the leather mid sole. I also did underneath where it looked like it had never been dyed. I put on a few coats one after another being careful not to get the white stitching. It was fairly easy to put on and soaked right in. It did to not stick to the rubber sole.
I let that dry then buffed the leather again with a dry cloth and a couple drops of water and my boots are good for a year or so I would think. I will just brush them off and wipe with a cloth and a little water here and there.
A few pics. Sorry they are not the best. The blacker looking pics are the most accurate.
IMAG0262.jpg IMAG0263.jpg IMAG0270.jpg IMAG0278.jpg IMAG0289.jpg

Last edited:

Annixter

Practically Family
^^The boots look great.

I wasn't sure what to put on first but the first thing I did was clean them with just a rag and some water.

If the boots had barely been worn, water and a cloth probably did the trick. Once you use them for a winter season, especially if they see salt, you might want to use saddle soap to get the road muck and dirty oil out of them.

I then used a procedure I have used with leather huinting boots for years and turned on the oven to 170. I put in one of the Semi-Dress boots for a couple minutes.

Personally, I would never bake leather, and certainly not at 170F, no matter how short a time period. I've heard people claim that baking helps the oil soak in and the leather become supple, but realistically leather becomes damaged at higher temperatures, especially after multiple bakings from conditioning. It's a fibrous skin after all. After applying neatsfoot oil, I use a hair blow drier to help open up the leather pores and allow the leather to absorb the oil, but this heat doesn't get anywhere near 170F or above anything that the animal gets exposed to in the hot sun.

I have a tip on oil application that might help people. Try applying multiple light coats of oil instead of a single coat. Leather can only absorb so much oil at once, so two or three light coats put on after allowing each coat to soak in penetrates the leather deeper and more completely than a single coat.

winterland1

Practically Family
^^The boots look great.

If the boots had barely been worn, water and a cloth probably did the trick. Once you use them for a winter season, especially if they see salt, you might want to use saddle soap to get the road muck and dirty oil out of them.

Personally, I would never bake leather, and certainly not at 170F, no matter how short a time period. I've heard people claim that baking helps the oil soak in and the leather become supple, but realistically leather becomes damaged at higher temperatures, especially after multiple bakings from conditioning. It's a fibrous skin after all. After applying neatsfoot oil, I use a hair blow drier to help open up the leather pores and allow the leather to absorb the oil, but this heat doesn't get anywhere near 170F or above anything that the animal gets exposed to in the hot sun.

I have a tip on oil application that might help people. Try applying multiple light coats of oil instead of a single coat. Leather can only absorb so much oil at once, so two or three light coats put on after allowing each coat to soak in penetrates the leather deeper and more completely than a single coat.

I am sure I could set the temp to 120 and put them in longer. Yes the 170 could be bad if you left in too long. I am constantly feeling how warm they are, opening the door, so they never really get that hot. Will do 120 maybe from now on as a precaution though.
The light coats idea is a good one as I see it recommended on the directions of conditioners.

frussell

One Too Many
Instead of cooking my boots, I usually just heat up the leather dressing I'm using in a microwave-safe bowl, until it is warm, not hot. If you have enough sunlight this time of year, you can just put the boots in the sun to warm them up. I'm still not a big fan of neatsfoot, as I've seen it rot stitches and make leather too soggy when people over-applied it. Frank.

ben2t

New in Town
hey Smoothsailor does your semi dress has celastic toe?
Here are mine black chrome excel semi dress with brown chrome excel back stay leather.
Ive been wearing them since november, neverhad a better shoe. At first I thought that the whites arch ease system felt like my sock rolled down and got stuck under my foot. After 2 days it felt comfortable.
_MG_3088_edited-1_zps24586cc8.jpg
[/IMG]
_MG_3083_edited-1_zpsb2b0acd4.jpg
[/IMG]
_MG_3079_edited-1_zps0feb20a5.jpg
[/IMG]
_MG_3076_edited-1_zps46b6ae44.jpg
[/IMG]

bretron

Call Me a Cab
Smoothsailor, those look superb. I have been digging for some good evo pics of soft toe cap SDs for a good while now, so thank you for sharing. Do you tree them?

ohiorick

New in Town
Just placed an order for a pair of Bounty Hunter boots from Baker's. I ordered 6" and I do not think I have seen a Bounty Hunter in a 6". I got the impression that most of them are 7" or 8". I am wondering if the 6" has 8 eyes/hooks for the laces as the 6" dress boot seems to only have 6 eyes. The gentleman at Baker's seemed to think the 6 " bounty hunter did NOT have 8 eyes/hooks for the laces. Just trying to see what mine will look like.

Last edited:

Will015

Familiar Face
My 6" Bounty Hunters have the hooks on top and eyelets on the bottom. There are 6 sets of eyelets and 4 sets of hooks though I believe I remember, hooks all the way to the top was an option. I think the standard if you select hooks is to have the top lacing location to be an eyelet. I know that's how my Smoke Jumpers are, but they are also much taller.

ohiorick

New in Town
My 6" Bounty Hunters have the hooks on top and eyelets on the bottom. There are 6 sets of eyelets and 4 sets of hooks though I believe I remember, hooks all the way to the top was an option. I think the standard if you select hooks is to have the top lacing location to be an eyelet. I know that's how my Smoke Jumpers are, but they are also much taller.
6 sets of eyes and 4 set of hooks - thats 10 total. Baker's web page shows the Bounty Hunter has 8 sets total. From the toe of the boot, I would like 4 sets of eyes, then moving to the top of the boot, all hooks. I have seen hooks and the top most is a set of eyes. I don't want eyes at the top. Just hard to tell when the photos I can see of Bounty Hunters show 8 pairs of eyes/hook, but I don't know if they are 6" or taller boots.

Will015

Familiar Face
Sorry, I forgot to mention that my boots are lace to toe. That should account for the 2 extra set of eyes. I would definitely let Baker's know that you want hooks all the way to the top as that was not part of the standard "hooks and eyes" option.

bretron

Call Me a Cab
My preferece for 6" Bounty Hunters is six eyelets with two top speed hooks (eg same config as SDs) or all eyelets

2BA29648-FDDB-4570-B260-3E15B7838DCD_1.jpg

18302AE6-61A2-4824-949B-0D3C31019FF6.jpg

Last edited:

ohiorick

New in Town
Thanks for the info. I have informed Baker's when I placed the order what I wanted. I guess I will know in 6 to 8 weeks. This will be my first pair of White's boots, but if they are as comfy as I hear they are, I plan to add several pair.

ohiorick

New in Town
bretron, great looking boots. I have a high instep so I am looking for hooks in the top 4 , so I can quickly get them laced or unlaced and give some room for my instep to get in and out. Love to see more pics of the blue ones. Very eye catching.

bretron

Call Me a Cab
Rick, here are a few more pics of 6" BHs in navy cxl w/269 outsoles, same eyelet/speed hook config, rolled top, and unlined. (Seriously make me consider a blue boot!)

97E9FE67-5142-46C8-94F2-C6FA704488B7.jpg

1CD2702E-69C7-4BC0-AEFF-9236519F269F.jpg

4715A644-C83A-4637-888D-CA654FB62612.jpg

ohiorick

New in Town
Bretron,
Wow! Those are great looking. I may have to add a pair of the blue ones to my wish list. Do you ever wear them with jeans? I'll bet they would look good with anything. Thanks for the added pics.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails