Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

White's Semi-dress Boots..

jimmer_5

Practically Family
Looks like Highvoltage beat me to it on posting those pics - as you can see, his progression from new to well used is very thorough. I think his pair is one of the best examples I hace seen of a pair of boots that have developed a "pleasing patina" without crossing the line into "beat to shit" territory.

I still don't know how he pulled it off, given the kind of work he does. You should see my work boots - "beat to shit" would be a nice way of putting how they look.

I think I have decided - when I make my order for my Bounty Hunters, I am just going to send Kyle Baker a picture of Highvoltage's boots and say "Make mine like that. Exactly like that."

jimmer_5

Practically Family
Bretron - where did you hear that? I've really wanted to try the Biltrite stuff. I like the Cat's Paw, but I heard they wear down quickly.

bretron

Call Me a Cab
Got an email today from Kyle that he was talking to White's prez about making it an exclusive build option thru Baker's.

He and I have been communicating about in-house cobbler services and I was begging him to get some old school sole and heel materials like Biltrite, Cat's Paw, O'Sullivan's and newbie Dr Sole. He's working on a becoming a Dr Sole dealership (at least for in-house boot recrafting), and then he mentioned the news about Whites potentially offering some options straight from the factory! How badass would a pair of SDs look with Biltrite half soles? Answer: really fuggin badass! May be the straw that breaks this Carmel's indecisive back! (Keep flipping between Whites, Wesco and Nicks for my next pair)

Last edited:

jimmer_5

Practically Family
That's fantastic! I will have to email Kyle about it and bug him. I am hoping that White's loosens up on the options for both the lace ups and the Nomads (I am going to get my two-tone Nomads eventually!)

I just wish I had the funds right now - been funneling money into the guitar habit lately and I am pretty broke! And now Wesco has a new full thickness non-Horween chrome tanned brown leather. It looks really nice - much nicer than their normal brown leather which is really dark. Too many good choices all at once! I suppose that's a good problem to have - except for the effect on your wallet.

Last edited:

bretron

Call Me a Cab
Jimmer they makes two of us. I was all in on some bounty hunters till I discovered you can now get Packers on the MP last; now, I'm deeply conflicted about what to get... (Especially, with that new uber nice brown pull up)

jimmer_5

Practically Family
It's a tough choice. Personally,a I think Wesco may finally get some more of my business - White's has literally stolen my business from Wesco for my last THREE orders. I have always wanted a nicer brown leather from Wesco, and in general I have wanted a tougher/thicker version of something like Chromexcel. Add in my desire for a two tone pair of Engineer boots, and it clinches it.

The White's Bounty Hunters will just have to wait a bit longer....

Bunyip

Call Me a Cab
Very nice....could literally buy a pair of boots a week for a few months if the bank manager let me...so many great builds...we need to start a rent a boot program. Pool them all together, and wear a different pair every night...

univibe88

One Too Many
I have met the guy that owns those boots at a knife show. They are in fact natural Chromexcel. He is a member of a knife forum I frequent, and he has posted a bunch of pictures showing the progression from brand new to what you see in the picture above. He wears those to work as an electrical contractor moving huge transformers around. I am shocked how good they look given the conditions he works in.

I will eventually be ordering a very similar pair for myself. My main hangup is the Chromexcel - I really want a tougher version of it. He says it is plenty tough enough, but it is much softer than the standard White's leathers.

Perhaps I will have to go steal some of his pictures and share them here - I wouldn't he surprised if he was already a member here.

You are right the Chromexcel is softer. The strongest leathers are what Whites calls "smooth." They are a thick, oil tanned cow hide. It's the standard black/brown for their Smoke Jumpers. It also comes in a natural finish. They call it "distressed smooth." It's not artificially aged in any way, so not sure they call it distressed. But's the way to go if you want something that will age/patina like natural chromexcel, but want something strong. Here are some pics of my Smoke Jumpers in distressed smooth.

Brand new in sunlight:

Brand new no light no flash:

6 months of wear. The boot on the right just got a treatment of Obenauf's. It darkens natural leathers:

Last edited:

Highvoltage

New in Town
Those look great...My Natural CXL Bounty Hunters are surprisingly tough. I'm constantly kneeling/crawling/climbing at work. I work in substations, so everything is either steel, concrete, gravel, river rock, or mud. I was very hesitant to wear them at first, as I'd pretty much destroyed a pair of iron rangers in about 6 months of wear. It didn't take long before I realized that the White's were far to comfortable to be left at home....I mean I spend most of my time at work. I've worn them way longer than the IRs, and they still look good enough to wear out.

The leather is soft, but it heals from abrasions very well. Scuffs show, then vanish. As far as care- I wipe them down, and give them a good brushing after each wear, then they get shoe trees for the night. They've been conditioned with RW conditioner, and more recently I've switched to Bear Grease. I've hit them once with a very light coat of neutral polish. I've treated the whole boot every time. Heels needed replacing at 8 months, I probably should have swapped the front sole as well. (I had a pair of Alden 403s re heeled at the same time, and strangely enough they used Cat's Paw heels on those.) I wore the Indy's for the first time in a long time yesterday, and they felt fragile compared to my White's.

I might get a second pair built, with a different spec sheet sometime this year. Probably something with a lugged sole, and wear them exclusively for work...or keep the BHs for work, change the sole, and build the new pair just for home/casual wear...

jimmer_5

Practically Family
Highvoltage -

I can't believe your toes aren't destroyed from being kneeling / crawling on concrete - that's incredible. I should post a picture of my steel toed Dr. Marten work boots for comparison (although I know the steel toe is a contributing factor).

I have been meaning to ask - are you using anything to treat the midsole edges, welts, and heels of your boots? THe rain always seems to make a mess of my leather heels and sole edges - they get dark colored and ragged looking. I am curious what you are doing to keep yours looking so good.

- Jim

Last edited:

jimmer_5

Practically Family
Univibe - thanks for the advice. I actually havea pair of White's Nomad's with the "Distressed Smooth" leather option. They turned out nice - it's definitely a dry leather though. Chromexcel is much oilier/waxier/ richer in general. I have been pleased with my pair, but I think I stilll need to try the Natural CXL.

Here's a thread derailing picture (the left boot has been oiled in this pic):

bretron

Call Me a Cab
I'm interested if anyone's ever waxed their distressed? The freshly oiled look is perfect IMO, and thought wax would hold the depth longer than grease (but maybe not?)

Last edited:

univibe88

One Too Many
I wipe them down, and give them a good brushing after each wear, then they get shoe trees for the night.

That's damn good advice for anyone!

I'm very happy you are so pleased with your boots.

jimmer_5 those are some great looking Nomads! Do they have a celastic toe? It looks like have a soft toe, but the last time I looked White's would only make them with a celastic.

jimmer_5

Practically Family
Karl - yes, they have the celastic toe, it's just a bit more sleek than a Wesco Boss Toe. I am the minority around here in that I prefer a celastic toe in my boots. I like a bit of a modern/vintage hybrid.

bretron

Call Me a Cab
Am actually sending my soft toe MPs back to wesco tomorrow for toe stretch, as the toe box is just wayy too damn tight. In retrospect I wish I'd gone with celastic, though I still think it can look great on the right style.

KyleK

One of the Regulars
Here's some wear pics of my Bounty Hunter's if anyone is interested - fresh in from the snow here this morning. They're around three or four years old and worn in regular rotation. Dress Brown, red liner, single celastic toe. Tough and comfortable boot - break in was painful but a distant memory. Definitely my favorites. I haven't cared for them much aside from the very occasional cleaning, polishing and waterproofing - and it shows. I'll tune them up come springtime. Otherwise, they'll probably be ready for a resole/reconditioning next year.
12613555985_ec2172c865.jpg
12613958834_59feffe62b.jpg

12613958984_a9f148a877.jpg
12613555945_99a1b877ef.jpg

12613657023_b44650847a.jpg
12613656983_e2f416ffb0.jpg

Bunyip

Call Me a Cab
Fantastic looking boot...the brown comes through nicely when they age...they look almost black to begin with...

jimmer_5

Practically Family
Agreed - those look good Kyle. I like where the finish has worn off on the toes. If it hey wee mine,a I would forgo polishing them and just treat them with neutral colored conditioner/oil/grease. Is at a standard height heel or did you remove a lift?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points