Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

White's Semi-dress Boots..

univibe88

One Too Many
Karl - yes, they have the celastic toe, it's just a bit more sleek than a Wesco Boss Toe. I am the minority around here in that I prefer a celastic toe in my boots. I like a bit of a modern/vintage hybrid.

I like the celastic in my Semi-dress and Smokejumpers, but just want the pure vintage look of a soft toe in some Nomads.

1911 Man

A-List Customer
How is the traction on the Vibram composition half sole for your basic walking in all weather conditions?

Dickie Teenie

A-List Customer
For basic walking their fine, as long as you don't spend much time on real smooth surfaces and if it's wet and smooth you'll find them marginal at best, at least i do with my White's. I went with the 430 mini lugs on my WESCO's that should be here next week. I'm curious about the comparison.

1911 Man

A-List Customer
Good to know. I am also considering the vibram mini lug commando half sole. I don't like the way the full rubber sole leaves a black line through the middle of the heel. It would be fine if the edge of the heel and sole were black, but I'm going for brown. The concern I have with the commando half sole is that it is cut into the leather sole instead of tacked on top, and I'm thinking I would need a double mid sole instead of a single. I'm hoping to order these boots soon, and I still haven't decided exactly what I want. Sighhhh, Too many choices.

andy b.

One of the Regulars
I apologize, I only know the soles by number. Is the Composition Half Sole the same as the 700? I have White's boots with the 700, 430, and 100. The 700 is good for everything except packed snow and slush, especially after several years of wear. The 700 sole has plenty of life left in it, but I can see that as it wears down further it will be like having a smooth leather sole as far as traction on wet surfaces. If I had it to do over, I would probably go with the 430 as it does have more traction, but isn't as chunky as the 100. On any of the sole options other than the 100, you won't get the same life out of them before they start getting slick. I have 100 soles (the model, not actually 100 pairs of boots :eek: ) that are 10 years old and still function fine, just 1/4" thinner.

Dickie Teenie

A-List Customer

andy b.

One of the Regulars
Okay, so that is pretty much the same as the 700, only in an actual half-sole, and not the "cut in half 700" that White's has been known to use. As I mentioned, the 700 is a good sole, but it is not the best in snow. It is okay when new, but if you wear the boots often, you would need to have it replaced every three years to keep the tread thick enough for effective winter use.

Pinesiw

A-List Customer
I finally got myself a pair! Im happy with them, they were used and I did get a deal on them, considering they were practically sitting in the store waiting for me. I went on vacation in Montana and I remember seeing red wings in schnees, so I decided to take a look and there they were, brown chrome excel, leather and rubber sole, unlined, block heel, size 12. Not what I would order personally but why not.
6228b2d9603d98af5353504216bed8a0.jpg

345224c8289e10b2c6b917abf5728662.jpg

53Effie

A-List Customer
Good looking boots and it sounds like you got a good deal on them too. I found mine locally at an annual boot sale one of the stores used to put on. They were about half the price of new ones, so I felt pretty lucky. Enjoy! They are good wearing boots.

mystlawer

New in Town
My new burgundy chromexcel sem-dress are in from Baker's. Here's the config and pics (first photo is more color accurate):

Custom Semi Dress by White's Boots
Last Standard, Sole Leather, Size - Length 11, Hardware Brass Eyes & Hooks, Edge Natural, Upper (Shaft) Leather #8 Burgundy Chrome Excel by Horween, Midsole Single, Pull Loops No Thanks, Leather Liner Tan, Sole Trim Close Trim, Toe Vamp Leather #8 Burgundy Chrome Excel by Horween, Size - Width D (medium), Toe Cap Medallion Toe Cap, Celastic Toe Box Single Celastic Toe, Heel Base 90 Degree Blocked off Heel (Traveler)
Heel is also lowered by 1/4"

boot02.jpg

boot01.jpg

bl@ster, how have these held up? I am thinking of a very similar setup, but probably with the standard heel (maybe lowered), and either leather sole a thin vibram offering. Any pictures of these now that they are two old you could share?

Thanks.

-<M>-

1911 Man

A-List Customer
This thread is slipping too far down. So I figured I would bump it by showing my latest purchase. Semi Dress Bounty Hunters. Ordered through Bakers on 4-11-14, arrived 5-8-14 (unbelievably awesome turn around time.)
Semi dress brown, 6" height. Single midsole, Vibram comp half sole. Brown edge, close sole trim, 90' heel. Brown lining, leather laces. I really like them.

1911 Man

A-List Customer
So, I specifically ordered these boots without a celastic toe because in the pictures posted here I thought the non celastic toe boots looked better. I was a little surprised to find how soft the toe actually is, there is nothing to hold the toe shape. I'm curious if anyone on this forum has some soft toe boots they've had for a while, and can speak to how they hold up?

mowgli222

One of the Regulars
This thread is slipping too far down. So I figured I would bump it by showing my latest purchase. Semi Dress Bounty Hunters. Ordered through Bakers on 4-11-14, arrived 5-8-14 (unbelievably awesome turn around time.)
Semi dress brown, 6" height. Single midsole, Vibram comp half sole. Brown edge, close sole trim, 90' heel. Brown lining, leather laces. I really like them.

Nice boots..I am planning to order a pair of Bounty Hunters in Brown Chromexcel with Dress Brown toe caps and heel counters.

mowgli222

One of the Regulars
Are those Bounty Hunters in your pictures soft toes?
So, I specifically ordered these boots without a celastic toe because in the pictures posted here I thought the non celastic toe boots looked better. I was a little surprised to find how soft the toe actually is, there is nothing to hold the toe shape. I'm curious if anyone on this forum has some soft toe boots they've had for a while, and can speak to how they hold up?

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Don't let White's resole your boots.

I've contacted them and asked for, at least, a partial refund. Any response from them will be added to this thread.

Here's what $114 worth of awful work from White's repair shop looks like.

DSCN9050_zpsd403a858.jpg

DSCN9052_zps8ada53cb.jpg

DSCN9053_zps2bc4a1cc.jpg

A few minutes later, I was on the phone with a very nice 12-year-old sounding woman who, in that extremely understanding customer service fashion, explained to me that discounts are not given on repair work and that White's wanted the opportunity to "make it right". I responded that there was no making it right, because it's not just the repair on the boots, it's my time and frustration.

She told me I could have a coupon for future repairs. I think I suffered a small stroke, and kept my voice flat as I told her there isn't a chance in hell that there will be future repairs by White's.

Exasperated by the b.s., I ended up caving to the request to repair the repair, and should receive a ups label soon. The work, I've been assured, will be done by the foreman and the boots returned to me quickly.

We'll see.

and I'm still ****** at the offer of a future coupon. Seriously..."I understand that you're disappointed, so would you like a coupon for a future disappointment?"

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana