Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

White's Semi-dress Boots..

jimmer_5

Practically Family
Whites makes nice boots. Sounds like they just aren't reliable for repairs.
I understand how you might not want to give Whites any more money after
how they treated you, but it sounds like the general lesson is, support your
local shoe repair shop? Or am I missing something?

Honestly, I think that Lefty's experience was the exception, not the rule. I have had White's work on boots before, and they turned out fine. I would think that if their repairs were uniformly bad, we'd hear more about it. There are LOTS of detail oriented people on the forums, and I have rarely if ever, heard a complaint about White's repair department.

Also, I would be VERY careful what cobbler you trust with a $400-$500 pair of boots. I have had some terrible work done by local cobblers, and most of them don't deal with a boot of this quality often. I have one pair of Tony Lamas that will never bad the same.... Honestly, I plan on letting Whites and Wesco do the repairs on the boots they made, unless I go with a specialty cobbler like Hukurokuju or Brian the Bootmaker. I think I will at least try Brian's services eventually. I need to do more research if I want to send a pair of boots to Japan.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Honestly, I think that Lefty's experience was the exception, not the rule.

I hope so. The first time my boots were returned in a totally crushed, regular White's boots box with no note of any kind, I wasn't surprised. I sent them back in the same totally crushed box, taped to hell.

When they were returned the second time, in another White's box, without a note of any kind I really wasn't surprised.

I'm still going to wear these until they can't reasonably be worn, getting them resoled now and then. I'll have to find a cobbler I think is up to the task, as most of the guys around here are so accustomed to re-gluing mall shoes, or maybe seeing a pair of Allen Edmonds now and then, that I don't know if they're up to working on real boots. If Baker's is doing the work, I'll probably go with them.

After that, it will be another brand. Maybe Brian the Bootmaker's private label.

Last edited:
Lurking for a while now I have been calculating a plan to get the boots i want. My job told me i needed protective boots to meet a customers expectation when i visit their maintenance facility on a consulting visit. I was told to buy a pair of boots and expense it to the company. Ok. I bought two. One for me and one expensed. Here is what i got.

Baker's Custom Bounty Hunter by White's Boots
Last: Semi Dress (Bounty Hunter)
Counter Leather: Black Bull Hide
Toe Vamp Leather: Black Bull Hide
Upper (Shaft) Leather: Red Dog Bull Hide
Leather Liner: Red
Lace Design: Lace to Toe
Pull Loops: Leather Pull Loops
Celastic Toe Box: Double Celastic Toe
Toe Cap: No Thanks
Toe Cap Leather Color: Black Rough Out
Steel Toe: No Thanks
Hardware: All Brass Eyes
Height: 6"
Top: Rolled Top
Midsole: Single
Edge: Brown
Heel Base: Standard
Heel Lifts: Standard
Sole: Leather
Size - Length: 9.5
Size - Width: EE

Horse Hide Semi Dress by White's
Last: Classic 461 Last
Toe Vamp Leather: Brown Horse Hide
Upper (Shaft) Leather: Brown Horse Hide
Leather Liner: Cream
Pull Loops: Leather Pull Loops
Toe Cap: Medallion Toe Cap
Toe Cap Leather Color: Brown Horse Hide
Celastic Toe Box: Single Celastic Toe
Hardware: All Antique Eyes
Midsole: Single
Edge: Brown
Heel Base: Standard
Heel Lifts: Standard
Sole: Leather
Sole Trim: Close Trim
Size - Length: 9.5
Size - Width: EE (wide)

Measured by Baker for a custom fit. I hope they get here before last week of October when I have to leave.

Bunyip

Call Me a Cab
Hi guys,
Finally got a bumper package in the mail today,with a pair of semi dress and a pair of bounty hunters. Very very happy.
Semi dress specs, size 13 EE, nat CXL all over. Natural edge, close trim, brass eyelets, single mid, half comp sole. I love them. I agonised over this order for a long time, went from 2 tone, double mids, rough outs etc etc. will definitely be getting another pair at dome stage. I used the thinking of specs time to sAve like a champion, and ended up ordering 2 pair whites,2 pair of Wesco....anyway. I'm quite happy with the finish and quality, I actually think it's better than Wesco. A bit more refined if that makes sense? There was a couple of minor scuffs, and that's about it. They are bloody lovely. Very solid on the foot. Will see how the arch system treats me in coming days...a few basic photos, nothing too fancy, but it should get thus thread moving again!
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Bunyip

Call Me a Cab
This is the other pair...also very very happy with them. Bounty Hunter, dress brown, nat CXL pull loop, single mid, 100 Lug sole, single celastic, red lining, antique hooks and eyes, brown edge. These bad boys are solid as a rock. I'm really looking forward to breaking them in. I think they will become my favourites with some wear.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Bunyip

Call Me a Cab
Damn dood, nice! Are those nattys soft toe?
No soft toe, single celastic. I think the finish on the Whites is actually better than Wesco from my initial thoughts. Maybe screwing up the soles on the Wesco put me off, not sure, but they are a damn fine boot. They will age really well I think

nick123

I'll Lock Up
Very nice Bunyip. Which of the two would you say is more practical? I may be purchasing a pair of White's in the next year or so.

Bunyip

Call Me a Cab
Very nice Bunyip. Which of the two would you say is more practical? I may be purchasing a pair of White's in the next year or so.
G'day Nick, it's hard to say as I just recieved them last night. I think the semi dress can easily be worn with trousers and jeans as a solid casual boot. I think the Bounty Hunters are capable of just about anything, and they won't need to be babied. Initially I thought the 100 lug would be too much and very japanesy, but I really like it. I will get it again, it looks and feels great. I will post some pics in a month or so with some wear on them. The dress brown looks fantastic, and in my opinion shows more brown than some of the photos I've seen which makes it almost black

bretron

Call Me a Cab
Because they're only a 5" boot, I find myself throwing my SDs on twice as much as my other lace ups

Pinesiw

A-List Customer
Finally got these custom SD's! Question does the dress leather usually come lined? These came unlined and the leather is a little stiff, I'm no expert but I suspect them to be horween leather. How would I be able to tell?

Bunyip

Call Me a Cab
U
Finally got these custom SD's! Question does the dress leather usually come lined? These came unlined and the leather is a little stiff, I'm no expert but I suspect them to be horween leather. How would I be able to tell?
These look like dress brown. It isn't cxl. It is a great leather though, and I have a pair of bounty hunters in the same hide. Leather lining on semi dress is an upcharge option. My semi dress in nat CXL are not lined, and it doesn't bother me at all. My dress brown bounty hunters are lined. It doesn't bother me either way, bottom line is that they are a great boot full stop. You will love them.

Pinesiw

A-List Customer
Forgot to mention I had asked for dress black, my impression was that all dress leathers came with a leather lining? Or not, anyway these are most definitely the comfiest boot I own, they are so light compared to my brown CXL, the brown CXL have a rubber out sole leather mid and block heel, I find that the curved heel makes a difference when walking

Torleif

New in Town
Hi
I have never owned or tried Whites or Nicks, but I have both seen videoes and read about them.
I live in Norway and they dont sell them here.
I do a lot of hiking/bushcraft. How would the Smoke Jumpers or Bounty hunters do in theese regard?
The look very tall in the heel, but maybe with the vibram 100 and 1/4" lower heel?
I have also looked into the Limmer hiking boots.
Anyone with experience?
Thanks!

4spurs

One of the Regulars
I would not advise wearing White's Smokejumpers or the Ranchers for hiking; way too heavy even if you lower the heel etc., and just not intended for hiking. You'll wind up leaving them in your closet. Go with a boot that advertises itself as a hiking boot. The Italians and the Swiss make some excellent boots for that purpose.

Torleif

New in Town
I would not advise wearing White's Smokejumpers or the Ranchers for hiking; way too heavy even if you lower the heel etc., and just not intended for hiking. You'll wind up leaving them in your closet. Go with a boot that advertises itself as a hiking boot. The Italians and the Swiss make some excellent boots for that purpose.
Thank you!
Are they heavy even as 6", single leather midsole also?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCRider