Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

White's Semi-dress Boots..

daizawaguy

Call Me a Cab
No way!! That`s about how much I have in mine, maybe even an inch if I push my foot back. I got a yellow paper with the boots saying to slip them on, and that the arch should fit tight, but there should be the best part of an inch up front. I`ll photograph the paper sometime. It seems they feel happier with the toe room space, and this is how they expect it to fit. I too was wondering if I should go down half a size, but will obviously wait and follow their guidelines. For the information, I`m an english 8 1/2 in UK shoes, 9 in boots, 9 1/2F in RM Williams, and a 10D in Whites...

univibe88

One Too Many
It sounds like our boots very similarly. I'm glad it seems we have helped ease any doubts in each other's minds.

I wear a 9EEE in Allen Edmonds, so that was my starting point. I traced my foot and measured my foot as 10.5 x 4.5 inches.

This size chart confirms a size 9 http://www.bakershoe.com/size-chart.html
Sadly it doesn't contain width guidance.

I emailed Baker Shoes to confirm the size. They agreed that I should get a size 9 and said that the boots run a bit on the narrow side. So I decided to go with White's FF (equal to a EEEE.) The width on the ball of my foot is perfect. I would not want it any narrower. The width on my heel feels a smidge loose, but my heel doesn't slip. I certainly would not want to size down in width to tighten up the heel and in turn squeeze the ball of my foot.

daizawaguy

Call Me a Cab
Thanks univibe for the comments. I`m a 10 5/8 if I stand on a ruler with a 3 7/8 width. With a wool medium boot sock that increases by 1/8". I`m a 10D Whites. I`ve donned the boots again in the house and convinced they`ve got an extra 3/8" I don`t need up front above the safety margin, but I guess that`s not a good enough reason to send the boots back for a half size down. I do feel though if I get a leather sole in the future I may drop a half size down. I[ll keep these and wear boot socks in the winter. Does that sound reasonable, or should I get the fit right the first time? Any views appreciated...

Interesting that that link you sent does not cover the size 10`s USA, there seems to be a gap in their data

univibe88

One Too Many
I think there are some gaps because they are trying their best to line up US, UK and EU sizes. There is just no way to include all sizes from each scale and keep the columns lined up. Either way, based on your measurement it looks like 10D was the right choice. I am going to guess that they are building extra room in the toe box because these are work boots. After a long day on your feet, your feet will swell/expand quite a bit.

It's hard to say if you should return them. It's hard to say without really knowing how they fit you. I know it is a hard to even consider after patiently waiting (and taking into account the aggravation of having to do so.)

I have also found this size and width chart quite handy. It's from a Wesco reseller.
http://www.boot.com/bsizcvt.htm#SizeTable
http://www.boot.com/bsizcvt.htm#WidthTable

illumin8em

A-List Customer
How about some pictures of those fine boots? ;)

Sorry for those asking me for pictures, but i still haven't got my computer/harddrive recovery sorted out. here are some photos i took for another forum, for another purpose, nut it think they will do for now. For the folks asking to see picture of them being worn

5455280352_0523df54b5_z.jpg

5454671317_b32503fd71_z.jpg

5454672675_f03e87dfc4_z.jpg

5454673783_08d2612fd6_z.jpg

5455302368_4eb2a1a0f8_z.jpg

5505081523_9153737657_z.jpg

Last edited:

lupo

New in Town
thanks guys

Thanks to this thread, I've got me a pair of White's semi-formal in the pipe. You guys are a great help: I don't know how I would have managed the dizzying options otherwise. The excuse for this is purchase is a hunting and wenching trip to the Ukraine which should involve miles of trekking in the woods and on cobblestones and in nightclubs and castles.

Got the shoes lined, #38 swing last, brown edges, with contrasting dress black uppers and dress brown lowers, block heel, vibram composition half sole, close trim, and brass eyelets all the way up. Considered double thick midsoles, water buffalo and a red toe, but figured the basic brown and black leather were the best bet for durability and looking respectable. I'll order the more garish ones if I'm pleased with these: for when I'm wearing loud sports coats in Gothic nightclubs and such. Photos to come in a month or so when they show up.

Thought about the Wolverine 1000 miles, and various flavors of Redwing, and even briefly flirted with the Alden Indy, but I think these are going to make me happiest, with my ultra-high arches and wide feet. Plus, they look really amazing.

Last edited:

univibe88

One Too Many
illumin8em - great pics! Thanks for sharing.

lupo, congrats on taking the plunge. I think you made great choices. I like my water buffalo, the leather is definitely thinner/dressier. Your leather choices will be better suited for trekking in the woods.

Tadite

Familiar Face

That boot is nothing short of amazing. I've been kicking around the idea of a two tone with Black Horoween Upper and Brown lower but you've taken it up a notch. Just one heck of a nice boot and I'm thinking of blatantly copying you.

On a unrelated note. Anyone have a nice picture between a semi-dress and the bigger brother farmer/rancher? I'm flipping between the two. :)

bretron

Call Me a Cab
White's are easily my favorite brand! I picked up a pair of custom smokejumpers lace-to-toe in chromexcel. Baker's is great- insanely knowledgable, very friendly, and happy to answer any/all questions on ordering. They were very patient with me, as I bugged em for about three months before ordering:)

daizawaguy

Call Me a Cab
Great pics!

Here are two more of mine for the record.

White`s semi dress two tone, brown roughout/brown bullhide, block heel.

DSC_6597.jpg

DSC_6579.jpg

Last edited:

daizawaguy

Call Me a Cab
Could I ask Poo, or anyone with experience, how much room do you have in front of the big toe, and has this gotten less as Whites claim on a instruction that comes with the boot? Thanks

PoohBang

Suspended
Could I ask Poo, or anyone with experience, how much room do you have in front of the big toe, and has this gotten less as Whites claim on a instruction that comes with the boot? Thanks

I feel as they fit me. The big toe probably has 1/2 inch but it's tough to tell with the leather of the boots. If you send a tracing to White's they can tell you exactly what size you should get. That's what I did. They said a 10 C or a 10 D with heavy socks. I went with the 10 C, but should have done the 10 D... hence they gave it a stretch and everything worked out fine.

I'm normally an 11 C in Aldens so when they said 10 I was a bit surprised, but these do run big.
w

1911 Man

A-List Customer
It's funny with the sizing. I wear a 9D in Alden, Allen Edmonds, Frye, Justin, Tony Llama, and any other shoe I've tried. So I sent my tracing to Bakers, who contacted Whites, who stated I should wear a 9 1/2 D. Doubtful, I went to a nearby dealer who stocks Smoke jumpers. I tried on both the 9 and 9 1/2, and both seemed to fit fine. I ordered the 9 1/2, I'll let you know how they fit when I get them.

lupo

New in Town
Sweet boots, Poo. Are those chromel, or the standard semi-dress brown? Mine should be here in a week or so; I'm waiting by the postbox!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner