Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

White's Semi-dress Boots..

daizawaguy

Call Me a Cab
I feel as they fit me. The big toe probably has 1/2 inch but it's tough to tell with the leather of the boots. If you send a tracing to White's they can tell you exactly what size you should get. That's what I did. They said a 10 C or a 10 D with heavy socks. I went with the 10 C, but should have done the 10 D... hence they gave it a stretch and everything worked out fine.

I'm normally an 11 C in Aldens so when they said 10 I was a bit surprised, but these do run big.
w

Thanks for reply - I did send my details but feel they may have erred on the side of caution. I`ve got an inch up front I`d say. The problem with that is that the front crease does not have as many creases as you have. Anyway, I`ll persevere and see how these turn out in a few months. Better big than small, but I do feel that for a boot that runs bigger than usual (or so I`ve read), these are a little too large. Anyways, keep you all in touch later...

daizawaguy

Call Me a Cab
It's funny with the sizing. I wear a 9D in Alden, Allen Edmonds, Frye, Justin, Tony Llama, and any other shoe I've tried. So I sent my tracing to Bakers, who contacted Whites, who stated I should wear a 9 1/2 D. Doubtful, I went to a nearby dealer who stocks Smoke jumpers. I tried on both the 9 and 9 1/2, and both seemed to fit fine. I ordered the 9 1/2, I'll let you know how they fit when I get them.

I think you did the correct thing - better go a bit bigger on boots, and can always wear a thicker sock. Any idea what UK shoe size you are, if I can ask?

1911 Man

A-List Customer
I think you did the correct thing - better go a bit bigger on boots, and can always wear a thicker sock. Any idea what UK shoe size you are, if I can ask?

In 1994 I purchased a pair of Doc Martin boots from Nordstrom, and at that time they used UK sizing. I wore a size 8 then. Seemed to fit fine.

daizawaguy

Call Me a Cab
I`m in Hawaii on vacation and there is a shop in the Royal Hawaiian Center that has a whole stock of Whites. I fitted fine in a 9 1.2E and even lengthwise in a 9E. I`ll stick to my 10D from Whites with a thick sock in winter (wool medium weight), but will go down to a 9 1/2D on my next order through Baker Shoes. I plan on wearing a thinner sock with them. Looking on the measure table on the net, there is only a very small difference obviously between sizes, and whilst its obviously better to go larger than smaller, sometimes a very large size can give the fold of the leather on the foot a fuller feel than is wanted. Boot makers obviously go for the more conservative estimate, but there is no substitute for trying on a size above and below your final chosen size. Anyway, a great exercise, and my mind is finally at rest on the size issue. Prices here $525 for the Semi dress.

PoohBang

Suspended
DSC00241.jpg

A mix of Semi Dress and Fedora Lounge....

bl@ster

One of the Regulars
That depends on your tolerance for high arched boots, I think. If you're not good with that, ask to have your heel lowered by 1/4".

ClothesHorse

Familiar Face
After much hemming and hawing, I've ordered mine! Good Ol boring brown semi-dress. Should be here this week (or next- with the Holiday). My cobbler was excited to order them! If they fit, I've already lined out my next order to White's. Thanks to all those that posted fit, etc advice. Should be posting some pics soon!

1911 Man

A-List Customer
So I received my Whites a little over a week ago. Incredible construction, not at all my style. Please see my ad in the classifieds

univibe88

One Too Many
You have NEVER bought anything and then realized that it wasn't quite what you expected?

It is understandable. It is very hard to get a true feel for something just by looking at pictures. It's very different to wear an article of clothing and get a feel for it than to just look at it online.

I like my White's very much, but after getting mine I have a different impression of them than what I thought by looking at the pictures. I wear them with a different set of clothes and in different settings than I imagined when I bought them.

ClothesHorse

Familiar Face
Picked up my White's yesterday. Just what I wanted and expected. My Cobbler couldn't quit going on about the quality construction of these boots. Love 'em! He did warn me that many folks can't wear anything else after wearing a pair. So now I guess I'll need a pair of packers, black semi-dress......If I only had the funds to feed my shoe habit!

univibe88

One Too Many
You have NEVER bought anything and then realized that it wasn't quite what you expected?

It is understandable. It is very hard to get a true feel for something just by looking at pictures. It's very different to wear an article of clothing and get a feel for it than to just look at it online.

I like my White's very much, but after getting mine I have a different impression of them than what I thought by looking at the pictures. I wear them with a different set of clothes and in different settings than I imagined when I bought them.

Something odd happened to this thread. Right now the post I quoted here reads as if it was direct at 1911 Man's post #171, but it is not. There was a post from bl@ster that said "Huh? You saw all the photos here but ordered them anyway?" It was between 1911 Man's post and my reply. I felt that was presumptuous and my response is directed at bl@ster. I don't know why his post is now gone. I didn't think you could delete your posts once a response has been made (for this exact reason.) If a bartender deleted his post, then please delete my post #172 and this one.

1911 Man

A-List Customer
In any event, I feel I should shed some light on my situation with the Whites boots I purchased. I requested a number of leather samples from Whites prior to ordering. I then ordered the boots I wanted through Baker shoes, as they had better pricing. When the boots arrived, the color of the finished product was quite different from the leather sample. Although in person the boots were a little more rounded than I expected from the pictures, I quickly got used to the shape and style. However, I really did not like the color. That ultimately led me to the decision to post them for sell. After a few days in the classifieds, I decided to contact Whites and Baker Shoes, and explained to them that I was unhappy with the boots, and why. They quickly replied instructing me to return the boots, and they would make me a pair I was happier with. I thought that showed extraordinary customer service (since I had worn the boots), and sent the boots back earlier this week. Kyle at Bakers and I are currently working out the details of what my new boots will be. I am still looking forward to being a Whites boots owner. I want to give them the chance to make things right, and it appears they are going above and beyond to do just that. I will keep everyone posted.

PoohBang

Suspended
Update on my first pair of Semi Dress...

Well I got this pair from Bakers.. custom ordered, split sole, natural edge, all eyelets in dress brown... I ordered an 10 C on both White's and Bakers recommendation... They were tight when I got them, and didn't fit right or but I gave it the ol' try till my feet started to hurt,
DSC00109.JPG

so I tried on a
whim and ordered a standard SD pair in a 10.5 D. What a difference a 1/2 size width makes... They felt pretty good right out of the box, Toe Room, and just plain comfortable for the most part... Notice how far back the fold on the toe is now... Where it should be
IMG_1116.JPG

Not as fancy as my ordered pair, but not bad on the eyes... If you wear, a 10.5 or so in Aldens, and the like, then I my other pair is in the classifieds...

4spurs

One of the Regulars
It seems that your first pair was a little too short, and too narrow.

What was the measured length of your foot with a sock on, and the measured width of your foot?

PoohBang

Suspended
It seems that your first pair was a little too short, and too narrow.

What was the measured length of your foot with a sock on, and the measured width of your foot?

I'll have to check when I get home. I had sent in a tracing to white's and bakers and both both got the 10 C...

1911 Man

A-List Customer
Just a quick update. I ordered my first pair of Whites through Bakers back in June, and from the day I ordered to the day they arrived was exactly 5 weeks. I reordered once the first pair had been returned, and from the day the re-order was finalized it has been 5 weeks and one day. I'm hoping to hear any day that they're ready, but haven't yet. So I guess this is more of a thread bump than update, but the thread was slipping too far down.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails