Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Who Are Your Style Icons?

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
Veronica Parra said:
Beatniks smelled worse !

(How come no one has referred to them yet?)

Allright..here goes: Confound those blasted Beatniks! ;) Actually some of the early Beatniks didn't look too bad. Sport jackets, the ubiquitous black turtle neck sweater. Can't stand the sandals though. Nasty.

As for Peter Fonda in "Easy Rider" I never thought of him as being quite a hippie. He seemed more motivated (although motivated to selling drugs). He was more sophisticated than the poor hippies. Dennis Hopper's character dresses more like the typical hippie but he's not really one either.

I suppose that there is a cut off point even with them. The earlier type being a little more precise and careful with their dress...and then there's the late 60s/early 70s filthy freakish types.

I grew up in San Francisco amid a lot of "colorful" characters. My Dad is in his mid 70s now and is more of a jazz beatnik type. I was up close and personal with a lot of original hippies back when I grew up. That probably explains why I wear my hair short and neat and like the 30s and 40s look!

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home

My dad was at Columbia University just a couple of years after Kerouac, Corso and Ginsberg had left town for San Francisco. He remembers the Beats hanging around nearby Harlem: they wore the same black turtlenecks for weeks without washing, their hair was dirty and unkempt, they cussed incessantly, and they stank of stale cigarette and (controlled substance) smoke. Girls loved them.

Gray Ghost

A-List Customer
My Icons are:

Jimmy Stewart: His demeanor and the way he carried himself in the movies and during the war.

James Bond / Sean Connery: His style. There will always be only one Bond and that is Connery, Sean Connery.

Andy Griffith: His wisdom as Sheriff Andy Taylor.

Harrison Ford: The only modern actor that could get away with doing remakes of Golden Era Films. I like his style in Star Wars as Han Solo. As Indiana Jones and also his character in Six Day and Seven Nights. He should have played Jimmy Doolittle in Pearl Harbor.

Humphrey Bogart: His character in To Have and Have Not and Casablanca. The man knew how to dress. It is his style that I try to emulate when I dress.

John Wayne: His attitude about fair play and his love for this country.

Gray Ghost

Naama

Practically Family
Though I'll never be able to catch up with her, my style icon is the divine Greta Garbo! She just had everything!
I also think that Dita van Teese (or however you'll spell her name) has big style icon potential for a "nowadays" Lady. She might substitute her boyfriend, but well, that's another story.....

Lena_Horne

One of the Regulars
I do appreciate the Kennedys style, during the 30s, 40s, 50s and 60s:

Teddy and Joe Jr., late-thirties:
JoeJrTeddypalmbeach.gif

Joe Jr. in 1938 and 1939 respectively:
U866082INP.jpg

JoeJrMadridUSEmbassy.gif

(Jack, Jean, Rose, Joe Sr., Pat, Bobby, Eunice, and Ted in front) 1948:
0000303746-001.jpg

Jack, Ethel (lower), Bobby (standing), Senate election night, 1952:
1.jpg

(Jack and Bobby) although Bobby (fore), 1954, did have that penchant for wearing athletic socks with his suits until his wife Ethel got him out of it:
JackBobbydinner.gif

Pat, Jean and Ethel, 1955 or so:
BE035554.jpg

Bobby (behind), Jack, mid to late-fifties:
caee3839.jpg

jfkrfk1957.jpg

Jack, Ethel, Jackie, and Bobby, 1957:
0000296563-019.jpg

L_H

Jessica

One of the Regulars
I would have to say Marilyn Monroe influences my style on a daily basis. I just love the way women dressed in the 50's. There are so many timeless pieces that can easily be worn today.

Steve

Practically Family
What got me into vintage was really the Indiana Jones films. The fedoras, the three-piece suits sported by different members of the cast, it was all so much better than the current trends. Since then I've never tried to go after the look of any one person, so much as the flexibility demonstrated by the Ford's character to look good in either rugged or distinguished clothing.

Tin Pan Sally

Icons

I have so many movie/stage icons I admire, mostly dancers and comedians from the mid-forties. I was raised on silver screen, 30s-40s musicals, film noir. Back then a performer had to be able to do it all; act, sing, dance, tell jokes, and look dang good doing it.
The first ones who come to mind are:
-Ann Miller, who knew how to perform over-the-top. Plus she held the world record for most taps per minute until Michael Flatly came along. I got to see her in a Vaudeville revival show when I was little. She was so funny. I loved it but my Mom was disappointed to see all the icons from her youth looking OLD and slow.
-Betty Grable who knew how to pose down to her fingertips, how hold her feet and position her legs. Modern ?¢‚Ǩ?ìcheesecake?¢‚Ǩ? models need to take a lesson from her. When I modeled as a teen, I stole ideas from many of her sittings.
-Ginger Rogers, for her cute, humorous demeanor, elegant sense of style and amazing dancing talent. She just flowed along the floor like it was effortless.
-Veronica Lake! I adore her original mysterious over-one-eye hairstyle and sultry glances. It?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s funny how she lost popularity after she began wearing her hair pulled back. Audiences are fickle.
- Mostly, my Mother for showing me that pretty is as pretty does. To be a true lady one must behave as such.

farnham54

A-List Customer
Hemingway Jones said:
I did a quick search and didn't find anything precisely like this; forgive me if there is, but I am curious, from both men and women, as to who are your style icons, who are those people that you have adapted all or part of thier wardrobe, style, habits, or possessions?

For me:
Cary Grant - The essence of style and sophistication; James Bond without the violence; grace and poise; the perfect gray suit with a white shirt and gray tie; and that voice. His walk was like a dance, as if the firmament were propelling him.

Ernest Hemingway - A bull charging through life; my first introduction to tweed and guayaberas; the safari look; strength, composure, and the thing I took most from him is his sense of interior design (minus the animal heads -those things are expensive!)

Sean Connery (as James Bond) - The hair (when he had hair!); the perfect tuxedo that still looks appropriate today; the 'Godlfinger Suit' (God Bless Magnoli!); The only James Bond to wear jeans and sing -in the same moment; the sense of danger; the voice; the only Bond to wear a hat in a nonformal wear situation (Roger Moore carried a hat, but didn't wear it); the confidence.

Harrison Ford as Indiana Jones - The reluctant man of action; moving easily from academia to deep jungles; the articulate scholar who is not afraid to mix it up. Dr Jones is his alter-ego; the glasses go on and the persona softens.

Gene Kelly - the consumate dancer; danced so well, he made it seems as if you could do it, as if his motion could somehow buoy you; he seemed as if he could go from the ballroom to the bar room without skipping a beat and if a fight went down, he would probably be the last fellow standing; the light pants and tight polo shirts or light pants and button-up shirts with sweater vests; I took many of my casual looks from him.

Humphrey Bogart - He was short, his head was too large, he was funny looking, he had a speech impediment, yet he may be the coolest man that ever lived. The intensity; those fierce penetrating eyes; the sense of conflict in his face as his mouth tensed, his eyes seemingly reading words projected before him, words that only he could see; the rakish tilt of his hat; the Burberry overcoat; standing in the rain in "The Barefoot Contessa" wearing the same outfit as Rick in "Casablanca" but older, sadder, and more resolute.

David, the Duke of Windsor - The smell of waxed cotton and the protection a Barbour affords; the country look; the tough luxory of a Harris Tweed sportcoat; regimental stripe ties; Panama Hats; Brigg Umbrellas; Argyle socks and sweaters; club ties; blue blazers; many of my looks come from him: Blue blazer, white shirt, red striped tie, tan dress pants (often substituted with khakis) and tan dress shoes. Country shoes, argyles, moleskin pants, tattersail shirts, club tie, and a tweed jacket, perhaps with a Barbour over it.

So, these are mine, or at least those that I can remember at this hour. I would love to hear about yours...

All of the above, and quite honestly, one of my style icons is Mr. Hemingway Jones--after meeting you in California, you are without a doubt a man that other men should strive to emulate. You've nailed all of those above inspirations, but made them your own. Cheers to that! Currently, my wardrobe is a mixture of the typical college kid attire, thrown together with a fedora, nice scarf, or a topcoat to make it stand out in the crowd. There's always room for one's style to evolve.

Regards,
Craig

Wild Root

Gone Home
Marc Chevalier said:
My own avatar is my influence. Too bad he smokes!

HAhahahahah, too funny! Marc, you have some whit there my friend.

Well, I'm with Daniel on this; Bing is also an inspiration for me! His singing and cool calm style is just the best! I love his mannerisms and his cadence. Yes, he led not the noblest life at home but, the Bing that the Public saw is what I strive for.

Where the blue of the night, meets the gold of the day, some one, waits for me.....

Ahhhhh, Smooth!

=WR=

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Wild Root said:
Well, I'm with Daniel on this; Bing is also an inspiration for me! His singing and cool calm style is just the best! I love his mannerisms and his cadence. Yes, he led not the noblest life at home but, the Bing that the Public saw is what I strive for.

Where the blue of the night, meets the gold of the day, some one, waits for me.....

Ahhhhh, Smooth!

=WR=

Besides, who could wear a clerical and a boater and make it look and sound so smooth?
ronosc3art2.jpg

No matter where you are, if you need help, dial 'O' for O'Mally.

Cheers!

Dan

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I've always loved the way Howard Hughes dressed casually. When not suited up he still wore his fedora with a plain shirt and light coat. As we see here his slacks belt loops are empty.
howard.jpg

Around the hanger and the airfields he was seen in the above type casual or the waist-length cotton jacket as seen below. He might have a tie on with casual jackets over nice slacks.
hughes.jpg

If Howard could test fly aircraft in a fedora I feel vindicated that it is not too dressy to combine it with work-a-day and casual jackets. He flew the world's largest aircraft, the Hercules, with his comfortable fedora.
howard_hughes.jpg

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Twitch,
I like the way you think. I love that Howard Hughes look as well! So much so, in fact, that I am having that jacket, the one he is wearing while piloting the Hercules, made for me. I based it off the one from "The Aviator" because I couldn't find a color picture of Howard's and I hoped that Sandy Powell, I believe her name is, had done my homework for me.

Anyway, look for that post at the end of January!

-It would have been done sooner, but my liner fabric got lost in the mail!

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Hemingway Jones said:
Twitch,
I like the way you think. I love that Howard Hughes look as well! So much so, in fact, that I am having that jacket, the one he is wearing while piloting the Hercules, made for me. I based it off the one from "The Aviator" because I couldn't find a color picture of Howard's and I hoped that Sandy Powell, I believe her name is, had done my homework for me.

Anyway, look for that post at the end of January!

-It would have been done sooner, but my liner fabric got lost in the mail!

Hemingway: Can't wait to see that number. Do you have the lid to match as well? I can't remember if I had asked you this before or not. Where did you get that scarf in your avatar? is it cashmere? Very stylish.
aviator_2.jpg
The%20Aviator-Rec.jpg

14.jpg

Cheers!

Dan

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
DanielJones said:
Hemingway: Can't wait to see that number. Do you have the lid to match as well? I can't remember if I had asked you this before or not. Where did you get that scarf in your avatar? is it cashmere? Very stylish.
Cheers!
Dan
Hey Daniel,
The scarf, I am embarrassed to say, came from Banana Republic about five years ago. It is cashmere.
It is meant to evoke an aviator's scarf, but it is a little more substantial. It is quite soft and of a cream color. Thanks for the compliment!
As for the matching hat, I need to speak to Fedora about that one. I don't know if he has any olive hat bodies, but I was going to ask him after the New Year because he is waist deep in Christmas orders.
I'll definitely get you all of the details and the process of how I went about having this jacket made. It is an interesting story!
Regards,
-HJ

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters