Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Who Are Your Style Icons?

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
BellyTank said:
Howard Hughes GOOD!!! (very good)

Hugh Heffner BAD!!!

The HH look is one I've been working on for a while too...
Well done Hemmingway!

B
T
I couldn't agree more!
And thanks! What kind of progress have you made, BT? Have you gone with a fabric aviator or a Hollywood Jacket? Or something else?
I'm hoping to have the Hollywood Jacket with a fedora look sewn up by February (Pun intended).

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
...going for the plaid or tweed and matching plain flannel 'Hollywood' jacket and working on a couple of flight jacket styles... Not trying to make the plaid/plain jacket as a clone, just something that looks spot-on and spiffy.

I'll put some pics up 2morrow- I have a baby in my left arm right now...
Later...

BT

lenj

New in Town
William Holden

For me he always seemed to have a simple elegance I found appealing.

wh.jpg

lenj

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
BellyTank said:
...going for the plaid or tweed and matching plain flannel 'Hollywood' jacket and working on a couple of flight jacket styles... Not trying to make the plaid/plain jacket as a clone, just something that looks spot-on and spiffy.

I'll put some pics up 2morrow- I have a baby in my left arm right now...
Later...

BT
Excellent. I am looking forward to seeing that!
:)

Flitcraft

One Too Many
Hollywood Jacket???

Question for Mr. Jones:
Where are you getting your Hollywood jacket? I'm interested in one as well.
I bought one of the "Ketchum" jackets from Orvis, which is similar, but not quite the same.
Thanks!

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Hemingway Jones said:
Hey Daniel,
The scarf, I am embarrassed to say, came from Banana Republic about five years ago. It is cashmere.
It is meant to evoke an aviator's scarf, but it is a little more substantial. It is quite soft and of a cream color. Thanks for the compliment!
As for the matching hat, I need to speak to Fedora about that one. I don't know if he has any olive hat bodies, but I was going to ask him after the New Year because he is waist deep in Christmas orders.
I'll definitely get you all of the details and the process of how I went about having this jacket made. It is an interesting story!
Regards,
-HJ

HJ: You're a gentleman and a scholar. Thanks for the heads-up. Can't wait to hear the story and see the pics.

Cheers!

Dan

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Flitcraft said:
Question for Mr. Jones:
I bought one of the "Ketchum" jackets from Orvis, which is similar, but not quite the same.
Thanks!
Hello, Flitcraft, I'll send you a PM. I wanted to make a post when it comes to give all of the details and I wanted a chance to review it before I send everyone there, if you know what I mean. Though, so far the experience has been excellent!

I can tell you this, if you're looking for a Hollywood Jacket, try revampvintage.com . Annamarie is wonderful!

DanielJones said:
HJ: You're a gentleman and a scholar. Thanks for the heads-up. Can't wait to hear the story and see the pics.

Cheers!

Dan
Thanks, Dan, you are a good man.
I would have had the jacket already if I had gotten the lining material from a better source.
take care,
HJ

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Flitcraft said:
Question for Mr. Jones:
Thanks!

Flitcraft: This one may not be a twotone Hollywood jacket, but it is a Penneys Hollywood jacket from the 40's. Something HH would definately would have worn.
http://www.sazzvintage.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=SVC&Product_Code=f4117&Category_Code=40s50s
Happy hunting.

Another great Fashon Icon would be Gary Cooper.
coopersm.jpg
01.jpg

cooper_g.jpg
stan139.jpeg

Dressed up or as a hobo he still looke sharp.

Cheers!

Dan

Wild Root

Gone Home
That is what I have been looking for! Can't find one in my size however. Good luck with the bidding! Looks nice and looks you may get it on the cheap! Those go for on average $150.-$400.

=WR=

PS. Gary Cooper is smooooooooth! Sharp as a tack! See....

garycooper19345ju.jpg

One of my top favorite photos of Cooper! Got to love that hat!!!
garycooperincitystreets19314zu.jpg

Jay

Practically Family
My style icons are limited to Howard Hughes and Humphrey Bogart. HH for the suit with tennis shoes, and Bogart for the stylish suits and overcoats. And the demeanor.

resortes805

Call Me a Cab
Hmmmm.....

Golden Age Mexican comedian German Valdez, aka "Tin-Tan"
The trimmed moustache, the wild zoot suit, a sharp bilingual and bi-cultural wit. What can I say? This guy is my main inspiration!
tintan.jpg

Cab Calloway
Best known for his wild stage, in his offtime Cab was incredibly natty dresser. It was Cab that sent me in search of the world's greatest blue serge suit!
CabCalloway.jpg

Not really Golden Age, but. . . Denzel Washington as Easy Rawlings in the film "Devil in a Blue Dress." This film pulled together alot of sartorial elements that I like to echo. The film takes place in '48, with gabardine EVERYWHERE!
devil.jpg

I always liked this era becuase it's that fuzzy period seperating the looks of the 40's and the 50's. You still have the broad shouldered, wide-lapeled DB suits but you also have two tone "Ricky" jackets coming into fashion also. I also like the working class vibe of Easy's look as well.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Twitch said:
Hemingway and all- there is a near identical jacket to the Hughes one for sale on Ebay now in size 40-42 which is too small for me. http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-40s-men...QcategoryZ52391QQtcZphotoQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Thanks Twitch, Good find! I saw that also, but it was too small for me. It was very close, but too small for me. I am a 44L. I am excited to have that one made. It will be new, which I like.

We have some excellent additions to this thread: Duke of Windsor, Patrick McNee as "John Steed," has Pierre Cardin ever looked so good? Gary Cooper!

I was watching "Chinatown" the other day and I really like Nicholson in that film; interesting tie contrasting with pocket-squares.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic