Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Who does Balboa and erm Twizzles

Marq

Familiar Face
Ok i have been learning Balboa for some time now(11 months).I already dance and have done for the last 29 years (i learned young),so i know a thing or two.If this means anything with Balboa in the last 11 months i have mastered .Basic,Paddles,Throwouts,Apachie,crossovers with lots of variations,wraps,Come around and open comearound,Transitions,Maxi slide,V slides ,needles,Fans,Multi overhand turns,Tuck turns pop turns and lots more.But i tell you the hardest thing i have learned and finally conquered tonite are bloody Twizzles.Now don't get me wrong i know the concept but it has been an uphill struggle and to me it was like climbing Everest.I am so pleased i finally made it.The easiest thing for me was getting the style in Balboa,which is the hardest thing for some.As i have been dancing for a long time i had the style taught to me by my Gran but i became complacent because i can do it in my sleep.Then a dancer friend of mine introduced me to Bal and it's been the hardest thing i have ever had to learn but that all said it has re-awakened my passion for learning dance again.So that all said who dances Bal here?what do you find most difficult to do ? hints tips would be welcome.Hell any dancing hints tips would be useful to lots here.........Paul

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Glad you got the twizzles down. I'm not sure what they are, though; I typically forget the names of moves.

I took an all-day balboa class in 2003 called "Balboa University." It wore me out! But I never found balboa a difficult dance, although I've heard a number of guys say they find it hard.

If you want to know the hardest thing for me to do in dance, it is dancing in front of my teachers. Second hardest: learning choreography. I'm now taking a class where I have to do both, yet I somehow enjoy it.

Marq

Familiar Face
Paisley said:
Glad you got the twizzles down. I'm not sure what they are, though; I typically forget the names of moves.

I took an all-day balboa class in 2003 called "Balboa University." It wore me out! But I never found balboa a difficult dance, although I've heard a number of guys say they find it hard.

If you want to know the hardest thing for me to do in dance, it is dancing in front of my teachers. Second hardest: learning choreography. I'm now taking a class where I have to do both, yet I somehow enjoy it.
From what i'm tld Balboa is typically hard for the lead not the follow.Try to lead Balboa and you will see what i mean .......the brain can only move so fast .......paul

thebadmamajama

Practically Family
I'd say keeping the movements small is the best tip with a dance that requires such a high BPM... that's what I struggle with the most with the whole taller-than-most-leads problem and the fact that I get really happy when I dance and it's easy to lose the control with Bal. I'm dying to learn more Bal!!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany