Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Who else grinds coffee?

Mahagonny Bill

Practically Family
Tomasso said:
I know a guy who sprinkles finely ground coffee on vanilla ice cream.
I have a great coffee milkshake recipe that is almost the same. Make a normal vanilla milkshake, but add 1/2 cup cold coffee and a tablespoon of fresh ground coffee beans. Great stuff!

Guinness

New in Town
Frykitty said:
Stainless steel stovetop espresso is the only I make coffee. Avoid the aluminium ones. I buy locally roasted beans and grind them at home. Honestly I've only had one or two Starbucks in my life, and I didn't really like them. That's just one mans opinion, because obviously they are insanely popular.
A post just isn't complete without a picture:)
495325.jpg
Would you please tell us the maker of the espresso pot in the photo? Thanks.

Frykitty

Familiar Face
Guinness..

This picture I found on the web, but is an exact look alike of mine at home.
My stove top espresso pot was made by Kontessa, it cost about 70 bucks at my local gourmet kitchen store and produces the best high-test coffee I have ever found. There is a cheaper version, but its made from aluminium and I have to say the taste just doesn't compare. It's worth the extra $$
For maximum results:
-Grind the beans finely and pack tight.
-cook at med-high heat, you want it to perc slowly, keep the temp down cause it will burn:rage:
-Mix to your liking (sometimes I add a little boiling water to make more of an americano style)
Enjoy.

Frykitty

Familiar Face
As for storing the beans, I completely agree with skyvue. Do not freeze them.
I keep mine in the dark in a airtight canister. Grind only enough for the day or cup. I really like my coffee.:)

Guinness

New in Town
Frykitty said:
This picture I found on the web, but is an exact look alike of mine at home.
My stove top espresso pot was made by Kontessa, it cost about 70 bucks at my local gourmet kitchen store and produces the best high-test coffee I have ever found. There is a cheaper version, but its made from aluminium and I have to say the taste just doesn't compare. It's worth the extra $$
For maximum results:
-Grind the beans finely and pack tight.
-cook at med-high heat, you want it to perc slowly, keep the temp down cause it will burn:rage:
-Mix to your liking (sometimes I add a little boiling water to make more of an americano style)
Enjoy.
Thank you for the info. I believe you do like your coffee, so do I. Thanks again.

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
feltfan said:
Let me start by saying some of us here roast our own beans from
time to time, as well as grinding them!

Really? You can control both the temperature of the water
and the duration of the brewing with a French press, but not
with a siphon. The French press leaves in more coffee solids.
Quite a different brew.

Actually, the water has to be boiling (210F around here, I believe)
to rise up in the siphon. That's too hot for optimal coffee brewing.

Which most people don't do because a roiling boil burns coffee.

Huh? Siphon systems certainly still are made, in Japan and I believe
in the UK as well. I think Starbucks offered one quite recently.

The water that is forced into the top of a properly designed vaccuum pot, such as the Silex or Corey units with their associated electric plates is at a sub-boiling temperature, closer to 205 degrees than to 212. Rhe same is true of the Sunbeam Coffee Master.

As far as coffee solids are concerned, the quantity and suspension of solids in the coffee produced by a vacuum pot is entirely dependent upon the fineness of the filter. The same is true of the French Press.

As far as new vaccuum pots, my favorite for speed and ease of use is the Sunbeam Coffee Master, which I understand has not been made since, 1962 or 1963. The Silex and corey pots work best with their matching hot-plates, which do not over heat the water. These have been out of production since the 1950's. You say that these units are still being produced in Japan? I was not familiar with the Starbucks unit. I see only a plain (and rather expensive) glass vaccuum pot without integral heater. Did they make an automatic unit at one time? I wonder how well it works?

Mahagonny Bill

Practically Family
Baron Kurtz said:
FOUR DOLLARS for a cup of milky coffee (*yucky* ). [shakeshead shakes head at how easily people are parted with their cashshakeshead ]
You can mock all you want, but I LIKE having my 4 shot, 16 oz latte in the morning. It's not milky coffee, it is thick, rich, steamed milk with coffee added for that extra kick. If $4.00 is the cost for the convenience of having a delicious pick me up for breakfast on the way to work I am willing to pay that price. I enjoy it, I can afford it, and it helps keep people employed.

That being said, I do not go to Starbucks unless it is the only option available. I agree with everyone about their burnt coffee, but if the choice is Starbucks or an Am Pm mini mart I'll take Starbucks every time.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I dont 'stock up' on the java, I buy one can about once a week, but I grind at the store.

I have ground in my home blender when I forgot to store grind, it was quick and smelled good but got staticy and I had coffee all over my hands :rolleyes:

LD

Mahagonny Bill

Practically Family
Baron Kurtz said:
Not mockery; disbelief.
lol lol
Well, it might be a cultural thing. Being from Seattle, it's normal for me to spend an exorbitant amount of money on coffee. I have talked with visitors to this town who are not only surprised by the number of coffee shops we have (literally one every two blocks if not more), but that the shops are full of people all day long. I guess we're a cafe town. I run into the opposite problem when I travel. The folks I work with in NYC all think I'm crazy because the first thing I do when I hit town is look for the closest coffee shop. It's hard to explain that the canned stuff they keep in their office just doesn't cut it.

dr greg

One Too Many
old fashioned

I just grind half a cup of beans, which is about 6 shots worth at a shop I'm told, pour into a paper filter, and drizzle the boiling water over it...better than any expresso I've ever experienced anywhere in the world...and lots of brown sugar...one of these a day is sufficient I find.....

Rachael

A-List Customer
Well, it might be a cultural thing. Being from Seattle, it's normal for me to spend an exorbitant amount of money on coffee. I have talked with visitors to this town who are not only surprised by the number of coffee shops we have (literally one every two blocks if not more), but that the shops are full of people all day long. I guess we're a cafe town..

It takes a lot of caffeine to get to the point where you like the Seattle Gray Sky. And I will agree that every once in a while I want a few shots of coffee in a cup full of steamed milk. It's like a milkshake but warm and kicky. I like Human Bean better but again, if the other option is am/pm I'll be right there in line with you.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Baron Kurtz said:
FOUR DOLLARS for a cup of milky coffee (*yucky* ). [shakeshead shakes head at how easily people are parted with their cashshakeshead ]
I can't throw stones; you should see my weekly bar bill. :eek:

RedPop4

One Too Many
For about that price, I can get a pound of nice, green beans, and roast them to my liking. I don't have that kind of scratch, as much as I love good coffee, to blow the price of a pound of coffee on one cup.

CigarMan

One of the Regulars
Love the smell of fresh ground, fresh brewed coffee. . . . tastes so much better too . . .

"feel the wind," the siren said, "from a soft breeze to a hurricane's gale. the wind is our ally, for without the movement of the air there would be no aroma.
the aroma of coffee, you know, is our most powerful song. so full of promise and expectation and memories, so seductive, so hard to resist.
who could resist? like the breeze, our coffees relax the body in suspended time. yet like the gale, they energize and stimulate. so honor the wind in all its dimensions."

The Daily Grind

I like to grind my own about a quarter of the time.

I have a little Bosch grinder I bought ages ago at Trader Joe's and it works pretty good for small batches. I will also grind preground coffee if it is really coarse ground.

As to the whole bean coffee, I like to get it at Trader Joe's most often, then some from Cost Plus but have tried the Guatamalen Whole Bean Coffee from fresh N Easy stores. All good places to try.shhhhhhhh

I had seen a program where the roasters talked about changing the roast of whole bean coffee at home in the oven or using an air popcorn popper, but never have tried it.

I don't drink "flavored" coffees as the flavoring tends to upset my stomach.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner