Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

who has a bonnet dryer?

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
Am I doing something wrong? Why is my set not lasting as long when I use my dryer, as opposed to sleeping in curlers? I use the dryer until it's completely dry, let my hair sit for about 10min, to let it cool before taking out the curlers. At first, I thought it was the setting lotion (recently got some LottaBody), so I went back to my old setting lotion, no difference. It looks great for about an hour or so after it's done, but falls quickly and is totally flat the next morning. Any ideas or tips?

hotrodmama0201

Familiar Face
I have a bonnet dryer, and to tell you the truth as many years as I've had it, I've only used it 2 or 3 times. I guess I like the idea of using it more than the actual benefits (or lack there of, in this case). My dryer is pretty old, and even though it still gets hot, it doesn't have alot of strength to the force of the air, and takes ages to dry my hair. I'll never get rid of it cause it's a nice rare vintage item, but it's doing a good job of collecting dust right now.
I have also had the same results as you when drying as opposed to curlers overnight.....I'd really like to use the thing more often, so hopefully someone will have some answers for the both of us :)

Smuterella

One Too Many
hotrodmama0201 said:
I have a bonnet dryer, and to tell you the truth as many years as I've had it, I've only used it 2 or 3 times. I guess I like the idea of using it more than the actual benefits (or lack there of, in this case). My dryer is pretty old, and even though it still gets hot, it doesn't have alot of strength to the force of the air, and takes ages to dry my hair. I'll never get rid of it cause it's a nice rare vintage item, but it's doing a good job of collecting dust right now.
I have also had the same results as you when drying as opposed to curlers overnight.....I'd really like to use the thing more often, so hopefully someone will have some answers for the both of us :)

mine hasn't arrived yet (stupid Royal Mail) but I would assume it wouldn't last as long because overnight the hair can dry gently and naturally and as such bends (to your will) more slowly and firmly.

I get my best sets when I've had the curlers in the longest (16 hours being better than 8 etc)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Agreed with the previous posts -- I use my bonnet for emergencies only, situations where I have to wash my hair in the morning rather than at night. One thing that does help the set last longer, though, is to keep the pins in as long as possible after using the dryer -- hours, not minutes, if possible.

The dryer does work better, though, in the winter when the humidity is low -- not a *lot* better, but marginally so.

Smuterella said:
mine hasn't arrived yet (stupid Royal Mail) but I would assume it wouldn't last as long because overnight the hair can dry gently and naturally and as such bends (to your will) more slowly and firmly.

I get my best sets when I've had the curlers in the longest (16 hours being better than 8 etc)

:eek: Still not arrived yet?? It's not lost is it?????? I wouldn't care if it cost 2p to post. Stupid Royal Mail :rage:

Anyway, that dryer is good, dries hair pretty quickly & has variable heat settings, though I recommend just turning it just past 'on' to get the hottest as it gets to the cold setting pretty quickly after that lol.

*ahem* I did have a bonnet dryer... :rolleyes:

I never used it really so I have no helpful hints here...lol

jtcarrey

A-List Customer
I have one, haven't used it yet though, I need to find a hairstyle that works for me, vintage hair always seems to be my one area of trouble, I think my hair is too thick or something because I end up with so many curls that I don't know what to do with them :rolleyes:

Josephine

One Too Many
jtcarrey said:
I have one, haven't used it yet though, I need to find a hairstyle that works for me, vintage hair always seems to be my one area of trouble, I think my hair is too thick or something because I end up with so many curls that I don't know what to do with them :rolleyes:

Brush them out apparently! lol

Smuterella

One Too Many
jtcarrey said:

I need more curls, can we swap?

glamour-girl

One of the Regulars
i love my bonnet dryer, i get very good results with loreal's hot-curl spray (it's heat activated) it gives hair a nice glossy sheen and smells lovely too...but i guess any heat-activated lotion will do the trick, i know Drei Wetter Taft also has great products too.

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Perhaps, Kami... it's getting *too* dry. Maybe not sit under it quite as long. I mean, it has to be *dry*, but like in the winter when there is no humidity and hair gets staticky, curls will fall. Gotta have some moisture left in there.

I have noticed tho, that curls are always softer when dried naturally.
Nikki

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo