Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Who is today's Cary Grant or close?

Godfrey Park

Matt Deckard said:
And Clooney?... NO!
[huh] And why not Clooney? He may not be the best actor in Hollywood, but he does evoke a certain classic flare and style that is missing from so many others (i.e. Brad Pitt, Leonardo DiCaprio, Johnny Depp, etc.)

I guess the question could be restated to clarify as who evokes the manner and style of Cary Grant or who has Cary Grant's acting 'chops', etc.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender

George Clooney has very little class. He is arrogant, self righteous, self-aggrandizing, opinionated, only well dressed when dressed for promo shots (caught by the paparazzi and he is in jeans and t-shirts, always), and let's face it, he makes bad and now pretentious movies.

Cary Grant was polished, urbane, sophisticated, graceful. He had humility and poise. He was private, dashing, and charming. He made classic films with an insouciant skill.

The only thing they have in common is hair color and that they are both handsome.

Feraud

Bartender
Hemingway Jones said:
George Clooney has very little class. He is arrogant, self righteous, self-aggrandizing, opinionated, only well dressed when dressed for promo shots (caught by the paparazzi and he is in jeans and t-shirts, always), and let's face it, he makes bad and now pretentious movies.

Cary Grant was polished, urbane, sophisticated, graceful. He had humility and poise. He was private, dashing, and charming. He made classic films with an insouciant skill.

The only thing they have in common is hair color and that they are both handsome.
Hem, all of the negatives about Clooney can be argued as due to being under the magnifying glass of today's media and paparazzi. If there were more bad and pretentious film done by guys like Clooney we would probably have a better opinion on the creativity of Hollwood. We might not like their politics any better but I tend to give A's for effort! :)

I am a fan of Grant but the same Hollywood machine that focuses on celebrities buying latte's is the one that helped create a Grant mystique. Not that I think he was not witty & urbane but old Hollywood had a tendency of hiding the blemishes of their products.

Clooney was classy in O Brother, Ocean's Eleven, Good Night & Good Luck, Intolerable Cruelty (classy & funny)..

Come on guys, reconsider!! ;)

Godfrey Park

Hemingway Jones said:

Wow, can you provide reference information to support these polar reflections on these two men? Cary Grant had a carefully crafted persona - even he admitted it with his quote about everyone wanted to be Cary Grant, including himself. I find it hard to believe that he deserves such a pedestal - the man was married multiple times and reported to be a notorious womanizer. I'll admit George Clooney may be more vocal and involved politically (which is his right and privilege as a member of society) and perhaps that may be the basis of the negative impression you have of him.

Godfrey Park

Feraud said:
Hem, all of the negatives about Clooney can be argued as due to being under the magnifying glass of today's media and paparazzi. If there were more bad and pretentious film done by guys like Clooney we would probably have a better opinion on the creativity of Hollwood. We might not like their politics any better but I tend to give A's for effort! :)

I am a fan of Grant but the same Hollywood machine that focuses on celebrities buying latte's is the one that helped create a Grant mystique. Not that I think he was not witty & urbane but old Hollywood had a tendency of hiding the blemishes of their products.

Clooney was classy in O Brother, Ocean's Eleven, Good Night & Good Luck, Intolerable Cruelty (classy & funny)..

Come on guys, reconsider!! ;)

I completely agree with you, Feraud - but I will concede to Matt that Pierce Brosnan may be more Cary Grant than Clooney.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Sorry, Buddy...

The Hollywood system didn't create Cary Grant, Archie Leach did! He even engineered his own accent. He became an acrobat and a dancer and acquired grace.

Clooney is crass, obvious. If you fellows can't see the difference. Well, to me it's self evident.

I could provide background information. Clooney is in the news all of the time. I have read several biographies of Grant. Go do the homework yourselves.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
He has been called the black Carry Grant.

Taye%20Diggs-17.jpg

Taye Diggs

LD

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
Hemingway Jones said:

i haven't seen that one. i thought you were going to say 'good night and good luck'.
i think Clooney is closer to Clark Gable anyway. a bit more rogueish than the Grant persona. but i agree with Marc. there is no modern day Grant just as there is no modern day Humphrey Bogart or Orson Welles or Audrey Hepburn.

happyfilmluvguy

Call Me a Cab
Hollywood actors of today cannot be any mirror image of what Hollywood actors were then. Even though they were high profiles in the media, the only reason they ever looked like movie stars was, what I think, because of the Hollywood studio system. Imagine actors being told what to do then, as now they run off as they please. An example of stardom without direction is those certain celebrities now that are shown in the media as superficial characters that have babies, get divorced, get married, are involved in scandals, caught doing stupid things, etc. A newspaper will treat you like a star when you treat yourself like one.

I would say George Clooney is a copy cat example of a movie star, where he isn't necessarily trying to be himself, but show a good image when the cameras are rolling and who knows what when they aren't. It's not a bad thing, just not the Hollywood star status.

Some actors and actresses could be movie stars if they'd get their act together.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Yes, but...

herringbonekid said:
i haven't seen that one. i thought you were going to say 'good night and good luck'.
i think Clooney is closer to Clark Gable anyway. a bit more rogueish than the Grant persona. but i agree with Marc. there is no modern day Grant just as there is no modern day Humphrey Bogart or Orson Welles or Audrey Hepburn.
Agreed, but it doesn't make for a very interesting post if that's all we said.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24