Who likes vintage tools?

Discussion in 'The Display Case' started by reetpleat, Mar 27, 2009.

1. AbbaDatDeHat

AbbaDatDeHat I'll Lock Up

Cool Bob!!
    A modern, LOL, Woodright’s Shop!
    B

BobHufford likes this.
  2. GHT

GHT I'll Lock Up

Whenever I need tools I also go to the car. No need to get in it though, the car battery is inside a wooden box, lift the hinged lid of that box and you will see that MG have kindly supplied you with a complete tool kit. Here's the kit as it is in the box, and as it is laid out.
    MG tools.jpg MG tools 1.jpg

3. Couple more pieces wandered in ...

1950 Delta DP-220 14" drill press with mortising jig.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ran across this on FaceBook on Thursday. Two hours from me, but my wife and her friend were near by. They got it. 1931 Delta Model 700 24" scroll saw. Runs great! Seller's pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. 1930artdeco

1930artdeco Practically Family

Bob,

That is a great looking scroll saw. I will have to post pics of my newly refurbished Beaver scroll saw. It is about 20 yrs younger but just as beefy!

Mike

BobHufford likes this.
  5. jkingrph

jkingrph Practically Family

I have an old Craftsman wood lathe from the late 40's and an old Craftsman 1/4" saw handle electric drill from the same period. Hand tools, some wood bodied handplanes, one a provisional where all the top is cast iron for adjustment frog. Dad left me an old monkey wrench he said was supplied with a car that his family had sometime back in the 30's, along with a few other adjustable wrenches and screwdrivers. I found a wood body level some years back at an antique store and grabbed it along with a molding plane. Some things i have used a lot, some not so much. I also have dad's old crosscut hand saw from the 40's.

3fingers and BobHufford like this.
  6. Picked this up at auction yesterday. Early 1950s Sears Craftsman “Alien” 6” planer. The motor is a bit newer, but runs great. I’m glad to see that this one needs a cosmetic restoration (at a minimum) as the others I’ve dragged in have me conflicted on whether I should leave the original paint or not. Should be fun!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

hatsRme and vitanola like this.
  7. 1930artdeco

That looks cool!

Mike

BobHufford likes this.
  8. The tool picking road trips will continue tomorrow. Headed to Topeka, KS to pick up these auction bargains.

1939-41 Delta 6" jointer ($16):

Delta_Jointer_1.jpg

Circa 1950 Belsaw 905 12" planer with two sets of new blades ($62.50):

Belsaw_905_1.jpg

Another DeWalt radial arm saw. 1952 GW6 10" model ($37.50):

DeWalt_GW6_2.jpg

3fingers, Woodtroll and AbbaDatDeHat like this.
  9. Off to pick this up on Saturday (in Pittsburg, KS). 1951 Oliver 159-A wood lathe (12" x 36") with a 3-phase motor (I plan to use with single-phase and a VFD and may remove the Reeves variable pulley drive). It's in good working condition and came out of a college woodworking shop originally. A future project ... got it cheap enough to make the journey, the electrical changes and still be ahead.

Oliver_Lathe_1.JPG

Oliver_Lathe_2.JPG

AbbaDatDeHat likes this.
  10. Farace

Farace Familiar Face

A few months back I was going through a toolbox of my grandfather's that I have out in the garage and came across a very cool Stanley no. 12 1/2 Veneer Scraper. When I found it, it was rusty and filthy:

IMG_1002.JPG

So I decided to clean it up. I gave everything a good soak in Evapo-Rust, except the rosewood handle and baseplate, of course, which I cleaned with Murphy's Oil Soap and polished with Butcher's Paste Wax. The japanning was in good enough shape that it would have been criminal to strip it. I'm pretty happy with the result (I still need to hone the blade).

IMG_1008.JPG

In the same toolbox was this neat little pipe wrench, stamped "NYNH&H." My great-grandfather (and great-great-grandfather) was an engineer with the New Haven Railroad, so it may have been his.

IMG_1005.JPG

AbbaDatDeHat, 3fingers and BobHufford like this.
  11. alanfgag

alanfgag

Maebiki Nokogiri - Japanese whaleback saw. For ripping logs into boards.

MAEBIKI_1.jpg
    MAEBIKI_2.jpg
    MAEBIKI_3.jpg

12. Farace

Farace Familiar Face

Can anyone identify the purpose of this hammer? Found it among my dad's tools but unlike most of his tools, I had never seen this before. No idea where he got it.

IMG_1177.JPG

BobHufford likes this.
  13. 1930artdeco

Farace, looks like a body hammer to me.

Mike

14. Farace

Farace Familiar Face

I wish I had included a scale of some sort in the photo; it's a rather delicate tool, for something meant to hit. The Thin part of the handle isn't much thicker than a pencil. My partner asked a friend of hers and he opined that it's for jewelry making (he being a jewelry maker).

15. Made a deal for this one tonight. Will pick it up after the first of the year. Early 1930s Sears Craftsman 12" band saw with original paint (newer motor and base).

Craftsman_12_Inch_Band_Saw_1.jpg

Craftsman_12_Inch_Band_Saw_2.jpg

Craftsman_12_Inch_Band_Saw_8.jpg

upload_2019-12-27_22-10-12.png

Farace and 3fingers like this.
  16. 1930artdeco

SCOOOOOOOORRRRRRRREEEEEEEEEEE!

BobHufford likes this.
  17. 1930artdeco

Here are some of my vintage tools. Come to think of it, most of my tools are vintage.

Vintage Thor worm drive-not sure of the year. But judging by the weight I am guessing late 30-40's
    1953 Beaver scroll saw that also weighs a ton and doubles as a band saw.

Mike

Attached Files:

Farace likes this.
  18. Very cool Mike!

19. Just made a deal for a lot of vintage hand tools (electric and otherwise with a pile of related "stuff") that was listed on Facebook. Pick 'em up on Thursday. Pretty excited about these '30s/'40s booklets from Delta.

upload_2020-1-27_14-18-30.png

belfastboy likes this.
  20. ^^^^^ The Delta Practical Projects books are not dated, but others in the "pile" date from 1937 - 1947. They run from Book #2 to #17 (missing #1 and #6 and any past #17 if there were any).

IMG_6439.jpg

The Delta Toy Book is from 1944.

IMG_6442.jpg

The Delta Craftsheets binder has sheets from 1937 to 1947.

IMG_6440.jpg

IMG_6441.jpg

There was a late 1950s Craftsman sabre saw and a '70s era Craftsman hand drill -- both working -- (along with a big box of shop "stuff"). The really cool tool was a circa 1950 Craftsman 8" electric hand saw. Was too nervous to plug it in with the cord in that condition. Very stylish saw ... dare I say ... almost sexy. o_O

IMG_6435.jpg

IMG_6438.jpg

IMG_6437.jpg

IMG_6436.jpg

Pricey bit of equipment. More than the 8" table saw with motor.

1950_Craftsman_8_inch_electric_hand_saw.JPG

Last edited: Jan 31, 2020
    Farace likes this.