Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

WHO made Johnny Depps hats for Public Enemies

M_Jones

One of the Regulars
BobC said:
Optimo told me in the late spring or early summer that they were trying to get the oxblood felt for the fall. I was told if I ordered a hat in August I would have one of the first produced in late September. I was also told the crown height and brim width of which I remember the brim width is about 2 1/4". The crown height escapes me now, but I posted it somewhere earlier. They said the hat will sell for $600.

Thanks for the information sir. It is good to hear that they will be maintaining their original price for hats for this one. Graham does not strike me as the kind of guy to charge more because the felt is famous.

Be sure to post plenty of pictures if you end up getting one Bob!

Hmmm...one more hat.....

Levallois

Practically Family
Since I can't have the oxblood hat, I'll have to settle for this Optimo skyline blue fedora I just got off ebay for less than half what it would have cost me new. Optimo makes a nice hat - I'm not happy with the bash - but quality is first-rate.

Optimo2.jpg

jazzncocktails

A-List Customer
Just saw the film yesterday--really well done, if not always perfectly accurate. As some of you note, decisions often serve storytelling over absolute accuracy.

Goose: given your earlier comment about strangers and crowded theaters, thought I'd tell you that my wife and I showed up for the 12:10 pm showing (a chance to get out of the desert heat for a couple of hours, visiting Palm Springs) and we were the sole viewers. A first for me--and a cool experience to have the theater to ourselves.

As for the hats, loved the fedora Depp/Dillinger borrowed from someone else in a getaway scene and smoothed out before wearing. Gray, if I recall, with a wide ribbon. I can't seem to find an image of it--if anyone else can find it, please post!

And then there's Christian Bale's Melvin Purvis. From the hat guides that several Loungers have shared with us, Bale's long, narrow face would seem to call for a tapered and shorter brimmed fedora, as he wore in the film. Frankly, though, I thought it was a huge mistake, as I thought it made him look like a pinhead.

christian_bale_public_enemies_pic21.jpg

This image doesn't look quite as bad as some shots in the movie did. Was that much taper common in the '30s or were the costumers simply following a later style guide? And am I being too harsh on Mr. Bale and his fedora? It really bugged me.

bolthead

My Mail is Forwarded Here
jazzncocktails said:
Just saw the film yesterday--really well done, if not always perfectly accurate. As some of you note, decisions often serve storytelling over absolute accuracy.

Goose: given your earlier comment about strangers and crowded theaters, thought I'd tell you that my wife and I showed up for the 12:10 pm showing (a chance to get out of the desert heat for a couple of hours, visiting Palm Springs) and we were the sole viewers. A first for me--and a cool experience to have the theater to ourselves.

As for the hats, loved the fedora Depp/Dillinger borrowed from someone else in a getaway scene and smoothed out before wearing. Gray, if I recall, with a wide ribbon. I can't seem to find an image of it--if anyone else can find it, please post!

And then there's Christian Bale's Melvin Purvis. From the hat guides that several Loungers have shared with us, Bale's long, narrow face would seem to call for a tapered and shorter brimmed fedora, as he wore in the film. Frankly, though, I thought it was a huge mistake, as I thought it made him look like a pinhead.

christian_bale_public_enemies_pic21.jpg

This image doesn't look quite as bad as some shots in the movie did. Was that much taper common in the '30s or were the costumers simply following a later style guide? And am I being too harsh on Mr. Bale and his fedora? It really bugged me.
I agree jazzn. I just seen it last night. I was impressed by the wardrobe as a whole. The scenery and cars were amazing as well. The old American Airways plane was incredible, the Zenith radio, I can go on.....

I liked Depps first hat best, the one with the dark mauve colored wide ribbon. I didn't like the way they had the brim shaped on Purvis' hat at all, although the one he wore at the end was beautiful.

It was awesome to see all the straws at the Hialeah Park Racetrack.

kaosharper1

One Too Many
Actually, I found the way they shaped Pervis' brim interesting. It wasn't fully snapped down in the front which made the snap-up extend a lot more foreward. I remember seeing that in movies from that period as well. Its an interesting look.

I think the taper came from the side dents.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Here’s a vintage early to mid 1930s fur felt fedora that’s as close as you can get to Johnny Depps’ PUBLIC ENEMIES lid. The color –oxblood—is the same, and the silhouette is nearly a dead ringer. Excellent condition, too. Only the size is different: mine is a true 7 ½ , way too big for Mr. Depp’s head.

Made by ‘Stylepark’ for ‘Roos Bros.’, at that time one of San Francisco’s best clothing stores. Fine quality fur felt: smooth, soft and pliable, yet retains any shape you mold it into. Has an unusual (but original) bemberg rayon ‘sanither’ sweatband.

Depp1.jpg

IMG_2603.jpg

IMG_2604.jpg

IMG_2605.jpg

IMG_2607.jpg

IMG_2609.jpg

IMG_2610.jpg

IMG_2611.jpg

Last edited:

Lexybeast

A-List Customer
Nice hat Marc. How does rayon do as a sweatband? I would think sweat would soak right through and into the felt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21