Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Who was the ODDest person you ever knew?...

Dewhurst

Practically Family
HadleyH said:
You know, me too :p I think I have lived a sheltered life too!lol lol ....but then i wouldn't mind to know an odd person.... i think they are lots of fun! :D

Lol. There is potential for starting a club here. "The Sheltered Persons Club".

Only problem is, we would have nothing to talk about. Ever. Because we are sheltered.

:rage:

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Sounds like the sheltered ones need to spend some time in a big city. Weirdos are a dime a dozen in San Francisco. I actually like that, because no one CARES how odd you are. It's very liberating.

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Miss 1929 said:
Sounds like the sheltered ones need to spend some time in a big city. Weirdos are a dime a dozen in San Francisco. I actually like that, because no one CARES how odd you are. It's very liberating.

True, true. I went from Detroit to Orlando to Ft. Lauderdale to Atlanta to... well, it's like Mayberry here. ;) In the bigger towns I saw a lot of oddballs.

When I lived in S. Fla., I used to regularly see this certain homeless black guy who pushed his shopping cart around all day wearing a superman suit with cape and all.

Then there was a guy who drove a '70s station wagon with the fake wood on the side - - he did up the hood of the thing with astroturf, a little barn and dozens of plastic farm animals wired into place, all with a nice white fence around.

I knew another guy who was a regular at one of the bars that I frequented. This guy and his partner would show up slummming at this divey sports bar every day in a chauffeured limousine. The driver was also their armed body guard as they were in the jewelry business and the one flamboyant fellow was dripping in gold chains and rings. Years before, he'd had his name legally changed to Zipadeedoodah. It was on his license and everything. That guy was a riot.

I'm sure I'll remember others... :p

Carlisle Blues

Miss 1929 said:

You are so right!!!!!!!!!! But know if they think hard enough there is at least one character that will come to mind.

If necessary I will be happy to take them to The Bronx with me. It will add some color lol lol lol OMG the stories.....lol lol lol

Big Man

Claireg said:
Ok, I am a psychiatric nurse so I have a bit of an advantage here ...

I know what you mean. I retired this summer after working 30 years at a state psychiatric hospital. While I could write a book on some of the things I saw patients do and say, I have to say without a doubt that the DOCTORS were the ODDEST of them all.

Viola

Call Me a Cab
My dad. Great guy, hardworking, crazy as can be. Good sense of humor but totally antisocial ("what the hell do I need friends for? I have your mother...") and stone-cold paranoid. I'm talking full-on fighting black helicopters paranoid. If someone knocks at the door he hides. If someone calls on the phone they can leave a message. Fond of rifles and swords. Softhearted with animals, hates people.

Everyone says I'm just like him, too.

Foofoogal

Banned
:eek:fftopic:
I know most people like animals but it has been my experience that the more people are really into animals they seem to be less into people. Does anyone else find this to be true. Must be a trust factor for sure.
I have a SIL I love and she is amazing with all kinds of animals but not so comfortable at all around people.
A very good mother to her children though. They definitely got to have pets. lol

p51

One Too Many
After I left active duty in the Army, I was a PR rep for a construction company doing a high-profile project in Seattle, right through the area that "Sleepless in Seattle" was filmed on the houseboat scenes.
I had to document all interactions I had with the public to pass along any issues to the city.
A guy named Zoltar came by one day and said he was in on our secret, that we weren't paving new areas at all, but instead were involved in a secret project for Paul Allen (the Microsoft guy and local multi-bazillionarie) to uncover the "Ancient lifthooks" left by the Sauver People for the upcoming day when they'd be back to take all of Lake Union back to the mother planet.
We laughed about that for days at the City meetings... lol

Chad

New in Town
I once knew a man named Johnny Columbo. He'd come into the store I was working at every day and buy a paper and a pack of Beeman's gum. I only knew his name by his credit card. He had scars all over his face and just a really intimidating look. One day, I got off early and saw him standing outside the store, enjoying a cigarette. To make conversation, I asked him for a light and we began chatting about the weather, about his really unique duster (that actually looked nice on him; the only person I've seen who could wear a duster with class), and eventually got on the topic of work.

I explained to him that I was just a struggling student with limited aspirations, and that's why I was working as a cashier at a pharmacy. He told me that he started off the same way, and that he was in a line of work now that he thought he'd never be in. Eventually, I asked him what it was, and he opened his duster to reveal two revolvers, holsters on either shoulder. He told me "Au revoir" and walked away. I never spoke to him that intimately again, but he still came every day until the spring, when I didn't see him anymore. I quit the job shortly after that.

Sometimes I wander through that store in the mornings during the fall and winter to see if he ever comes back. No dice.

Was he a contract killer? Was he a cop that took his job far too seriously? Did he just sell firearms? I will never know. But, I like to think the world is weird enough to allow for any possibility.

Chad said:
I once knew a man named Johnny Columbo. He'd come into the store I was working at every day and buy a paper and a pack of Beeman's gum. I only knew his name by his credit card. He had scars all over his face and just a really intimidating look. One day, I got off early and saw him standing outside the store, enjoying a cigarette. To make conversation, I asked him for a light and we began chatting about the weather, about his really unique duster (that actually looked nice on him; the only person I've seen who could wear a duster with class), and eventually got on the topic of work.

I explained to him that I was just a struggling student with limited aspirations, and that's why I was working as a cashier at a pharmacy. He told me that he started off the same way, and that he was in a line of work now that he thought he'd never be in. Eventually, I asked him what it was, and he opened his duster to reveal two revolvers, holsters on either shoulder. He told me "Au revoir" and walked away. I never spoke to him that intimately again, but he still came every day until the spring, when I didn't see him anymore. I quit the job shortly after that.

Sometimes I wander through that store in the mornings during the fall and winter to see if he ever comes back. No dice.

Was he a contract killer? Was he a cop that took his job far too seriously? Did he just sell firearms? I will never know. But, I like to think the world is weird enough to allow for any possibility.

Sounds familiar...
Was he ever in an FL "Stream of Consciousness" thread then going by the name of Johnny S...? Had a beaver as a sidekick? HeavenlyHadley as an arm ornament. Looks like he made it through Skull Island and the Natzi gang wars..with the scars to prove it...! Yes..we once knew him well here....
He wasn't nearly as odd as some of the other charactors on the Island...just an always locked and loaded private Dick who lived life to the fullest..with few regrets.
Sadly he was cut off in his prime and quite suddenly forced underground. Johnny Columbo now,heh? Yeah...it kinda fits....
GlenDean/DeanGlen

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo