Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Who wears Chucks?!

PeeWee

One of the Regulars
What I still love about Converse is that the old fit still runs true. That is they run long and narrow. My true shoe size is 14-A. 13 in Converse fits perfect. Go look for a !4-A in anything:mad: Don't even get me started. Anyway, the price of Converse isn't too bad either.

Kt Templar

One of the Regulars
I used to wear them a lot in my teens. Ran them into the ground. Hi tops. Loved the fact that you could wash them.

Now that the support is better and the good Doctor is wearing them I may have to get me a new pair.

BegintheBeguine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I purchased a pair new about 10-12 years ago from the late lamented Odds 'n' Ends. They had a bin of maroon high-top ones in childrens' sizes and :) I have small feet. About 3 dollars US. They are still in rotation in the sneaker pile.
My 19 and 39 year old guy friends wear the black ones. Classic. Tried to get 28 year old hubby interested. He wasn't.

GregNYC

One Too Many
Yup, I do

I wear the black ones when I'm in a kind of downtown hipster kid mood, with baggy black jeans or long shorts and a black anarchist t-shirt. But when I'm in a vintage mood, it's completely different outfits!

I still have a couple of pairs of Chucks from before the move to China. Oddly, I had found four pair my size, new, at a thrift shop, for $5 a pair. When I got them, Chuck's had just folded and there had been no announcement that they'd start up again in China, so I thought 'Well, at least I'll have a few pair to last me a while.'

I can't see or feel too much difference in quality actually. Maybe the canvas isn't as tough, and that's about it.

About five years ago, I had my nephews here from Connecticut and they wanted Chucks because I wore them. So I took them downtown and got them a pair each. Well, they wear them to school and all the kids make fun of them, and I tell them: What do they know? They're a bunch of hicks up there. I'm telling you, they're cool sneakers, and you're going to start a trend.' But they didn't listen, kids being kids, and they never wore the sneakers and eventually outgrew them. About a year later, there's this nationwide fad of all the kids wearing Chucks with Ramones and Misfits t-shirts, and so my nephews come back to me and of course ask for Chucks again. Being the didactic uncle, I told them to go to hell.

Regards,

Senator Jack

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Mike K. said:
Lauren, I've had plenty of pairs shrink after getting wet (that's cotton canvas!) but so far all of 'em have stretched back out after a few wearings. By the way, when did you change your lounge user name? No more last name?

Welp, I've tried to wear them once since, but it hurt my toesies! I'll give it another shot. Thanks for the tip! :)
Name was changed just a bit ago since we're getting a magazine and the lounge is getting bigger.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
columbusdrifter said:
So I now have a pair of the PF Flyers, and I absolutley LOVE them.

Yeah, Im a PF Flyer gal. Altho, I think its written in you like vintage you have some Taylors somewhere in your past :)

I just tossed my last pair of Converse. They were my printmaking shoes and got totally totally, totally trashed.

LD

Rosie

One Too Many
I *had* some but my cousin took them because I didn't wear them much. The athletic shoe I wear, when I wear them are shell top adidas or a pair of yoga sneakers which aren't very golden age, I know. I like the look of the original Chucks that the OP put up. My b-day is coming up so maybe I'll pick up a pair.

Naama

Practically Family
I also used to had some, but, after a year of wearing, they always where ready for the trash can [huh] I don't know why that is.... But I never managed to last them longer than a year..... So I sayed I'll stop wearing them! Even if I like the look of them.

Naama

rubyredlocks

Practically Family
There are pretty much only 2 kinds of tennies that I like and my favorite is a pair of low-top red chucks that was a gift from my husband.My other favorite is plain white canvas keds. Jb wears black high-tops and I can't wait til our son is old enough to wear them.
I mostly wear them in the summer and my favorite outfit to wear my red ones with are a pair of dark cuffed dungarees,a crisp white blouse,and a red bandanna tied Rosie-style.Great for casual goofing off days.

Mike K.

One Too Many
Nice to know there are so many Chucks fans out there!:eusa_clap

Has anybody been artistic with their shoes? An old pair of mine were given the total ocean look by my girlfriend, who custom decorated the shoes with hand-painted 'seas' and even real sand & shells. I'm a bit more reserved and just prefer bright white hi-tops paired with some boardshorts & t-shirt as I cruise to the beach on my custom Schwinn Stingray.

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
I had a friend in art class in high school who wrote on his in teeny tiny letters "only stupid people read shoes." I thought it was rather funny lol

matei

One Too Many
When I was a student I thought they looked cool... Until I saw a picture of me wearing them. Looked bloody awful on me, and they hurt my feet as well.

I don't wear trainers much nowadays unless I'm at the gym.

Blackgrass

One of the Regulars
I've worn them since high school. Usually black low-tops.
Had to buy my first made out of the country chucks this past summer. I actually just threw away my last beat up pair of made in America chucks....made me a little sad.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo