Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

WHRO - Another streaming Golden Era station

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
A friend from Philadelphia just sent me a link to WHRO. I'm listening to Abbott and Costello right now, and just finished an episode of Burns and Allen and Amos and Andy.

Here's their own descripiton of their station:

The 1920's Radio Network is a 24 hour per day Big Band and Old Time Radio service that is geared toward the preservation of nostalgic broadcasting. As such, the hits from the 20's to the 40's are aired in their original form, and some have been digitally enhanced. This broadcast originates from studios in Chesapeake, VA and goes out worldwide over the internet through the WHRO streaming servers. Additionally The 1920's Radio Network is currently broadcast over a subchannel of the WHRO FM 90.3 signal which requires a specially tuned receiver to receive it.

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Maj.Nick Danger said:
Here we have WKHR. Music from the 30's to the 50's. Also can be found on the internet.
I listen to that one a lot, too, Nick! I was working late some time ago and needed a little music, so naturally I did a search on FL for "streaming audio." I think it was your post that led me to it, and I've been listening ever since!

Irena

One of the Regulars
Thank you! These stations are exactly what I've been looking for, and I didn't even have to ask.

Irena

Cousin Hepcat

Practically Family
Kaleponi Craig said:
This is great, do you have any other Golden Era radio stations?...KC

Yeah, Ditto?

Mojave Jack, thanks for the tip! Man, now I'm definitely gonna need to relocate the AM transmitter and/or PC in the house to start rebroadcasting web stations instead of just CDs & MP3 discs...

Swing High,
- Cousin Hepcat

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
I only know of these two, WHRO and the one that Nick posted in an earlier thread, WKHR.

Hepcat, what do you use to rebroadcast the streaming audio? I've got a cheap device that will rebraodcast but it won't even reach from the office to the living room! I've been thinking about getting a more powerful one, but I'd like it to reach the back yard, or at least the back patio. The ones I've seen in Crutchfield can run pretty high.

Cousin Hepcat

Practically Family
Mojave Jack said:
Hepcat, what do you use to rebroadcast the streaming audio? I've got a cheap device that will rebraodcast but it won't even reach from the office to the living room! I've been thinking about getting a more powerful one, but I'd like it to reach the back yard, or at least the back patio. The ones I've seen in Crutchfield can run pretty high.

Mojave Jack, I'd avoid the Crutchfield ones, they probably are just for shorter distances. I use the 1/4-mile AM xmitter (so it will work with older radios) for about $100 in the link below: There are cheaper ones but in my experience they're useless junk that hardly work at all (I've tried them)

http://thefedoralounge.net/showpost.php?p=55151&postcount=33

Here's a good detailed review from a hobbyist in the UK:
http://www.vintage-radio.com/reviews/amt3000.html

Its a great little box, and if you ssearch eBay, people sell them now and then ready-assembled if you don't want the bother.

- Cousin Hepcat

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Very enjoyable

This is a great streaming audio station! Thanks for the info. It isn't "elevator music" but is what USED to be on ...classy. They are playing music now like you want to hear in a nice Lounge somewhere, sipping a nice beverage.

Cousin Hepcat

Practically Family
Kaleponi Craig said:
This is great, do you have any other Golden Era radio stations?...KC

2 more (full-time):

(1) Jones College Radio, "Swing 1220 AM" (with webcast)
Click the "WJAX 1220 AM" link on the left under the image of the brown Philco radio
http://wktz.jones.edu/

(2) Ray Sherman's favorite classic-jazz records channel on Live365 (jazz, swing 1930s-50s)
now playing selections by T.D.'s clambake 7 & Louis Jordan...
http://www.live365.com/stations/308571

- Cousin Hepcat

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
24 hours of Duke Ellington! Yes, it's WKCR's annual Birthday Marathon...

Commerical free, midnight Fri 4/28 to midnight Sat 4/29 (NYC time). On 89.9 FM in the NYC area and wkcr.org on the Web. Check out as much as you can, it's beyond category!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner