Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why closed threads?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
I am still wondering why so many threads are being closed down. Some just after two or three entries. Lately a very interesting one. "Photo to drawing."
An intersting subject to all who wants to create different portraits. Drawn portraits are vintage to my mind.
We still have a thread "Show us your Art" though. Am I the only one who can not see the logic behind this - and the many other closed subjects???
Now - I aint saying it's wrong - but a clear statement from MK or bartenders would be nice. It must feel very strange to write something in good faith, and then get chopped off. For some not-known reason.

The only thing that - up till now - has come out of the new (secret) politic in the Lounge is less postings. Is that the purpose?

Please enlighten us guys!:)

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Here's where we stated the reasons behind what is going on (taken from the end of some of the closed threads):

Addressed to a news article not related to vintage:
Hemingway Jones said:
I'm sorry, as interesting as this article sounds, The Lounge is no longer for random news items.

I know we have allowed it in the past, but we have evolved more toward our core mission as a vintage-related forum.

Thanks for your understanding.

Or take this one, which is a bit more all-encompassing:

scotrace said:
...The "Am I Hot?" threads and the "I Don't Have A Boy/Girlfriend..." threads, and the random news item threads, and those sorts of puff threads will not be continued. A mission statement is not necessary. We'll continue to shape and mold the tenor of the lounge based on our editorial decisions.

The crash affected many of our larger threads and posts. We spent days reassembling what we were able to reconstitute. We may also choose not to continue certain threads as they emerge. I have closed some that have come up...

Or this:

Hemingway Jones said:
The poetry thread isn't really right for the Lounge. Sorry.
We're keeping things at least somewhat vintage related.
Thanks for your understanding.
I am sure there are hundreds of poetry forums out on the Lounge.

or this:

Hemingway Jones said:
Well, friends, here's the deal.

The rules as such are what they've always been. For years, the OB went along as a mostly vintage-themed catch-all discussion area.

Around a year ago, much of that went off track. It deteriorated into something more appropriate to a personal blog site or social networking site. This will not continue.

The Lounge is not and never will be a meat market. I think we all prefer it this way. What it will be, and always has been, is the web's number one vintage resource. The only way to keep it strong and keep it moving is to keep a narrow focus. Your friendly neighborhood bartenders will keep this focus. Threads more appropriate for blogs and social networking will be "discouraged."

As for the crash; the crash was catastrophic, and you have no idea (or perhaps you do) how difficult it is to bring back such a huge database. Some threads were lost, most were found, some were damaged, some were resurrected and some could not be. Rather than dwelling too long on it, we viewed it as a fresh start, a refocusing of our mission.

As for thread to find out what folks look like, well, they will be directed to already existing threads, such as the "What Are You Wearing?" thread, or you'll get to see what someone looks like when they start a thread showing off some vintage treasure they've found, a vintage place they have discovered, or when they attend one of our many official and unofficial vintage events.

Thanks.

I sincerely hope that helps. Essential more content, less fluff.

EDIT:

Oh, and the thread in question wasn't about aging photos, or making them look vintage, of which I believe we have a thread already, but rather about turning a photo into a drawing, which was better suited to a Photoshop forum.

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran