Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why!!!! Hipsters!!! Why!!!!!

I knew a heckuva lot more about 1945 in 2005 than I did in 1965.

I pay very little mind to the latest popular entertainments, styles, slang, etc. Most pop culture stuff is, if not quite "trash," then at least forgettable. As best I can tell, that's long been the case. That's true of the vast majority of music, movies, etc. produced during the "golden era" of anyone's choice. (The playlist on "classic rock" [oxymoron, anyone?] radio is but a sliver of the rock music made during the 1960s and '70s. For that, we can be thankful.)

I just figure that if it's deserving of my time, it'll be brought to my attention, eventually.

And I don't expect a 20-something to know much about jazz produced more than half a century ago. Hell, I wouldn't expect his 40-something parents to know much about it, either.

A friend recently reminded me of a conversation we had more than 30 years ago, when he was groovin' to a then-recent tune called "Electric Avenue." He thought it was the greatest thing since, well, ever. I said something like, yeah, it's catchy, but I really doubt it'll remain in the popular imagination 20 or more years from now, the way Nat King Cole, say, is now (and Cole had been dead for a solid quarter century or more at that point). In our recent chat he said, yup, you were right. And I replied that I know much more about Nat King Cole now than I did then. Much of his earlier stuff, with the King Cole Trio, before he became a big-time pop singer recording tunes with the candied strings and all, is just great. But I didn't know any of that then.

Last edited:

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Hipsters are always other people. They always travel in packs, eat and drink in packs, enjoy cultural events in packs.

They have terrible taste, or should I say anti-taste, in clothes. Vintage stores today look like thrift stores did in 1995 but with much less men's business attire.

They have similar anti-taste in music. Anything with no horns and a little rough edge on it pleases them. Just this morning at the coffee house, the dude behind the counter took off Duke Ellington in mid-track because the sax solo sounded "whining." He then put on some simple grumbly singing with a banjo and guitar. Hipsteeer!

Nikki Darling

New in Town
I've been in Savannah AND in art college AND around the indie comics scene... so I've seen them everywhere lol.

They are pretty harmless, in my opinion. What's so wrong with trying to be different than everyone else anyways? The funny part to me is when they try so hard to be different that they all just end up being the same as each other :p On top of that, I've never seen a hipster admit to being a hipster. It's always complete denial.

And what's so wrong if they appreciate vintage? I think everyone needs to learn about the past and embrace it, especially in today's society where so many important & necessary concepts of the past have been dismissed. It shouldn't be done to try to 'be cool', of course. But any genuine love for the past is a good thing.

Nikki Darling

New in Town
Hipsters are basically people who try to do the opposite of what is popular.

Stereotypically, they wear things from urban outfitters like skinny jeans, ugly sweaters and oversized thick rimmed glasses, they listen to dubstep or some band you've never heard before, they like old things for nostalgia and the oddity/rarity of it, found at coffee shops, usually doing artistic/creative/weird things. If you've ever seen Portlandia, that show basically exists to 1. make fun of hipsters and 2. for hipster humor. (That's why it makes no sense.)

They are hard to explain, since they all try to be different from everyone else. So sometimes even stereotypes don't describe them well.

But if you've ever heard someone say, "I liked ___ before it was cool," you are most likely talking to a hipster.

There used to be an extensive "why people hate hipsters" thread round here. It may have been deleted; the passive aggression didn't show this place in its best light. Myself, I find them a strange beast.. Seems to be a strange sense of fun that takes pleasure in doing/drinking/wearing stuff you find 'bad'. But hey... live and let live.
I resent that Edward. I thought I was totally in the open about my hatred for hipsters! lol

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Hipsters are basically people who try to do the opposite of what is popular.

Stereotypically, they wear things from urban outfitters like skinny jeans, ugly sweaters and oversized thick rimmed glasses, they listen to dubstep or some band you've never heard before, they like old things for nostalgia and the oddity/rarity of it, found at coffee shops, usually doing artistic/creative/weird things. If you've ever seen Portlandia, that show basically exists to 1. make fun of hipsters and 2. for hipster humor. (That's why it makes no sense.)

They are hard to explain, since they all try to be different from everyone else. So sometimes even stereotypes don't describe them well.

But if you've ever heard someone say, "I liked ___ before it was cool," you are most likely talking to a hipster.

Thanks, that was a great help. Yes I've heard that phrase a lot. I can see how that gets annoying.

A hipster is anyone who would willingly pay fourteen dollars for a hamburger.

A grifter is the guy who sells the fourteen dollar hamburger to the hipster.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! Aaaah...Yes I know what a grifter is! No need to explain that. But damn that was funny!

greetings fellow loungers,

i'd like to start a conversation on "hipsters". I didn't see one already when i searched.

It seems that the so-called hipsters share some affinity for vintage items. Particularly they seem to enjoy thick-framed glasses, hats, etc...

What are your thoughts on the hipster 'culture'? My wife has recently started accusing me of being 'hipster' because i dress better than the average person my age, wear fedoras, and generally avoid the mainstream. Personally i find the accusation to be a little offensive, as i'm not progressive in my politics (as most hipsters seem to be), i don't like stingies, and i don't wear tight, worn out jeans.

Due to some of the parallels between 'hipster' and 'vintage' i thought perhaps this could start a good discussion.

Thoughts?

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

'Country' folks around here do that, too. Pet peeve of mine, and completely disrespectful. Even moreso, when I see it in church, where their darn ball caps don't belong, in the first place!

Yeah, the not taking the hat off indoors is a red flag to me.

I don't really have strong feelings about hipsters one way or the other, except I hate how they do things I like to do, because it's 'ironic.' It's annoying. Somebody doing the things you love to do, because you enjoy doing them, but for the simple fact they find it to be amusing and silly. It's disrespectful, in my opinion.

casechopper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Probably to the public at large most of us would be considered hipsters...
I know I like vintage, vests, facial hair, fedoras, jeans, pipes/cigars, PBR & craft beers. That hits most of the commonly known hipster traits. I think many take the word hipster to mean a certain kind of person they don't like. The term itself is so nebulous that it doesn't really define anyone. I would venture to guess that most who would use the term hipster in a negative fashion are hipsters themselves to a certain extent (at least in the eyes of those who aren't into any kind of fashion/style). Judging others fashion choices is something that I tend to avoid as I think each person should be entitled to their own sense of style, no matter how odd it may appear to us.

Nikki Darling

New in Town
Somebody doing the things you love to do, because you enjoy doing them, but for the simple fact they find it to be amusing and silly. It's disrespectful, in my opinion.

I haven't thought of it that way. That definitely does make it feel disrespectful.

..Although, there are plenty of silly 70's and 80's vintage things :p
No offense meant to whoever likes those eras! haha. 80's sure knew how to make cute sweaters though.

(About the hats- it isn't rude for ladies to wear them indoors right? I hope I haven't been being rude unintentionally!)

Probably to the public at large most of us would be considered hipsters... I know I like vintage, vests, facial hair, fedoras, jeans, pipes/cigars, PBR & craft beers. That hits most of the commonly known hipster traits. I think many take the word hipster to mean a certain kind of person they don't like. The term itself is so nebulous that it doesn't really define anyone. I would venture to guess that most who would use the term hipster in a negative fashion are hipsters themselves to a certain extent (at least in the eyes of those who aren't into any kind of fashion/style). Judging others fashion choices is something that I tend to avoid as I think each person should be entitled to their own sense of style, no matter how odd it may appear to us.
No no no! I (we?) do it because we like and appreciate such things. BIG DIFF! Hipsters pay $12 for a PBR and whine when the snap top hurts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner