Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why!!!! Hipsters!!! Why!!!!!

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
Having cars with both it is always interesting to go from one to the other and reach for the stick when there isn't one. lol

When I was stationed in England I had a Ford Granada--think four-door sedan with hatchback and manual transmission. It took a little bit to get used to shifting with the left hand, but I got the hang of it. But then I found that going from a right-hand-drive car to a left-hand-drive car (flying down to Germany or Italy and using a rental car with manual transmission) made for sore knuckles. The first few times I had to shift when I was TDY to Germany I automatically tried to shift with my left hand, resulting in the back of my hand whacking against the door. It would happen in reverse when I got back to England.

Cheers,
Tom

Hipstermobile Craigslist Ad :p

Calling all hipsters...

It's time to hit the trust fund. For a mere $18,000, you could be driving the most authentic, urban-chic whip in town. All your friends will know you have been through interesting hardships when they see the mangled wiring reaching out of your empty dashboard. Your Brooklyn cred will go unchallenged when your passengers have to push shattered glass off their seats to get a lift to their loft apartments.

Of course there is no stereo anymore, so you can listen to all your newly emerging, obscure, independent music right from your MacBook on the way to your favorite foreign film cinema. How convenient is that? Everyone will know how fervently you reject consumerism when you never have to lock your doors, because everything worth stealing has already been stolen, and the most expensive window is already broken. Your vintage combat boots and thrift store plaid shirts will look even cooler when they are accentuated by cigarette burns that cover every inch of the upholstery. You can tell people they all came from American Spirit cigarettes.

You know you are too cool for the lame "mainstream" brand-new cars available in this price range. This 15-year old Pontiac has a burnt orange finish that nobody has ever seen before or even wanted! The exterior is marred by so many scratches and minor accident damage that no one else will ever have anything like it again. Think of how ironic it will be when your tailpipe is held on by a shoestring. A Doc Martin shoestring. Plus, there is so much dirt in the trunk you can get started on your own traveling organic garden.

So put down your micro-brew, button up your skinny jeans and head over to Bushwick. Get this car before everyone figures out how cool it really is.

ps - I am including a picture of the guy who stole your stereo, so if you see him, you can thank him for the unique appearance he brought to the interior.

3G33L13Ja5F75H55X3cca0ef64b04758c1f28.jpg

I am reminded of the time when it became fashionable for kids learning the guitar to buy a guitart that was beat up and showed the scars of a long and tortured life of use, abuse and neglect. This way they would not be seen immediately as new to the scene. Perception over merit.

CharleneC

Familiar Face
I am reminded of the time when it became fashionable for kids learning the guitar to buy a guitart that was beat up and showed the scars of a long and tortured life of use, abuse and neglect. This way they would not be seen immediately as new to the scene. Perception over merit.

I think the ad was just tongue-in-cheek.

nice hat dude!

One Too Many

True true John but the good thing about that is like any musical instrument as soon as they play that 1st note or chord they're immediately found out

Last edited:

BladeOfAnduril

One of the Regulars
Hipsters?

Greetings fellow Loungers,

I'd like to start a conversation on "hipsters". I didn't see one already when I searched.

It seems that the so-called hipsters share some affinity for vintage items. Particularly they seem to enjoy thick-framed glasses, hats, etc...

What are your thoughts on the hipster 'culture'? My wife has recently started accusing me of being 'hipster' because I dress better than the average person my age, wear fedoras, and generally avoid the mainstream. Personally I find the accusation to be a little offensive, as I'm not progressive in my politics (as most hipsters seem to be), I don't like stingies, and I don't wear tight, worn out jeans.

Due to some of the parallels between 'hipster' and 'vintage' I thought perhaps this could start a good discussion.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
There used to be an extensive "why people hate hipsters" thread round here. It may have been deleted; the passive aggression didn't show this place in its best light. Myself, I find them a strange beast.. Seems to be a strange sense of fun that takes pleasure in doing/drinking/wearing stuff you find 'bad'. But hey... live and let live.

wireless man

New in Town
as somebody that does planetarium laser shows for a living, this is a topic i can elaborate on.

hipsters are emo kids that didnt succeed in offing themselves. remember the emo fad? these were the kids listening to "deep" sad music, black hair generally draped over face, always looking down at floor, many wore thrift style clothing. the thick rimmed glasses may have been part of their outfit but that fad really took off with the harry potter films.

the hipster kids kept much of the emo appearance but the attitude improved. the constant staring at the floor went away, probably a byproduct of walking into too many things. hipsters are much more talkative and cheerful than their emo predecessors.

the hipster kids i see tend to loosely fit into these parameters..
1) they like bicycles, particularly "fixies" which are direct drive rear hub bikes. no free wheel.
2) they like vintage glasses, even if it's something the opposite sex wore
3) they congregate around artsy places
4) they wear vintage clothing but not to be fully era correct in their outfit.
5) they like vintage gear and media, record players and such. hipsters have single handily caused a resurgence in LP record sales at thrift stores.

sadly the most iconic item that will get you labeled as a hipster by those who don't know better is the fedora. you could be wearing levi's 501's and an AC/DC t-shirt, put on a fedora and BAM, you're a hipster!

all in all i personally don't mind them and find the whole hipster movement to be one of the cooler fads, much better than "pants on the ground" or emo. at least they are out their saving relics from the landfill.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
My main objections are a vague supercilious vibe, the trilby stingy brims, which they DON'T take off indoors (very rude), and the lack of appreciation or understanding for vintage jazz and pop music.

BladeOfAnduril

One of the Regulars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo