Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why!!!! Hipsters!!! Why!!!!!

Edward

Bartender
Fixed gear station wagon -- Ultimate Hipster Vehicle

In terms of the driving experience, the automatic gearbox is effectively the same thing. Harder to find over here, though - most folks in the UK drive what I think you in the US refer to as "stick shift"? Neverl iked Automatics myself. Too easy, one more thing to go wrong (and expensive to fix).

LizzieMaine

Bartender
In terms of the driving experience, the automatic gearbox is effectively the same thing. Harder to find over here, though - most folks in the UK drive what I think you in the US refer to as "stick shift"? Neverl iked Automatics myself. Too easy, one more thing to go wrong (and expensive to fix).

Agreed -- I've driven manual transmissions all my life, and the only time I ever had to use an automatic I burned it out trying to rock it out of a snowbank. Which I skidded into after forgetting there wasn't a clutch and stepping on the brake and gas at the same time.

Let's hope not.

Oh geez! They breed? :p

Automatics are certainly pricey to fix. I imagine it's even harder in Europe, where manual transmissions are more prevalent than over here. I prefer the older RWD vehicles for this reason. The auto trannys are fairly easy to get, and on the cheap, and bolt right up, replacing the old one. When you have that kind of parts availability and knowledge, it's actually nicer than doing a manual.

But if you take reasonably good care of 'em (do the fluid change every 30K or so, etc.) and don't habitually overload them and generally drive like the person who'll have to pay to fix this thing should it break, they'll last a long, long time -- a whole lot longer than your average clutch plate in a manual transmission vehicle. And, as as AET noted, in RWD cars they come out and go in easily enough.

But if you take reasonably good care of 'em (do the fluid change every 30K or so, etc.) and don't habitually overload them and generally drive like the person who'll have to pay to fix this thing should it break, they'll last a long, long time -- a whole lot longer than your average clutch plate in a manual transmission vehicle. And, as as AET noted, in RWD cars they come out and go in easily enough.

Definitely! I have replaced my clutch in my GMC truck several times in time I have had my transmission rebuilt in my Eldorado. The price ends up being the same if not more for the clutch in the long run.
Having cars with both it is always interesting to go from one to the other and reach for the stick when there isn't one. lol

I'd own manuals if I didn't live in traffic h3ll. Modern auto's seem to be just fine. Not a single tranny issue in about 450,000 combined miles since 1982 here in lala land. Even my FJ Cruiser is auto, but 4x4. We do have a RAV4 5-speed though. Replaced the clutch at 130,000 miles. Drive what ya likes.

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
For years after my dad went from a pickup with a manual to one with an auto, I'd see him go for the clutch and the gearshift on a regular basis.

That's funny Tom. When I was in high school, we had a 1977 Blue four door Plymouth Volare automatic, and a 1978 Red Plymouth Volare 4 speed. Dad commonly drove the 4 speed. We were driving out to dinner one night, Dad was driving the blue car and I was riding shotgun laid over on the door with one foot on the hump. We stopped and got gas, Dad touched the gas to start into traffic, he saw an opening, gunned the engine, slammed on the brake (clutch?), grabbed my knee (gearshift) and slammed it against the dash. Scared me for days.

Happy Thanksgiving.

Last edited:
That's funny Tom. When I was in high school, we had a 1977 Blue four door Plymouth Volare automatic, and a 1978 Red Plymouth Volare 4 speed. Dad commonly drove the 4 speed. We were driving out to dinner one night, Dad was driving the blue car and I was riding shotgun laid over on the door with one foot on the hump. We stopped and got gas, Dad touched the gas to start into traffic, he saw an opening, gunned the engine, slammed on the brake (clutch?), grabbed my knee (gearshift) and slammed it against the dash. Scared me for days.

Happy Thanksgiving.

:rofl:

Haha! Best story I've heard all day!

Happy Thanksgiving.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
islamicjankari