Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

William Lennon boots.

Murphydog

New in Town
Hi, I'm a long time lurker but first time poster from Cambridge in the UK. I'm a bookseller on my local market and, consequently, take a keen interest in practical clothes and footwear particularly for the winter months.
I've been thinking of ordering a pair of boots from William Lennon for a while, given the 6-8 week time frame I need to order soon for this autumn. I've narrowed the choice down to either the Work boot or the Field boot, both feature a vibram commando sole which is essential for the granite setts I work on. Otherwise there seems little to choose apart from price.
Given the range of expertise and experience on the board I'd welcome any opinions that would help me make my mind up.

Thanks

Paul

simonc

Practically Family
Paul, go with the 78 boot, do not get vibram soles, they are both slippy on smooth granite surfaces and way to "macho" if you get my drift. You need understatement with heavy boots not overstatement. WL will fit a fine rubber trim on the soles. Use the advanced search option and type in william lennon you will learn quickly. You will find one or two who insist on a heavy lug sole but remember that the boot design is around 1930's when this kind of rubber sole didn't exist. Its a bit like putting mag wheels or a flame paint job on 30's rolls royce.

cordwangler

One of the Regulars
Paul

I'd get the field boot with vibram sole for extended periods on your feet. They look robust, and that will work out cheaper in repairs than a thinner sole. Also, a thicker sole gets your feet that little bit further from the cold ground. I've a couple of pairs of Alfred Sargent boots in similar style, one with vibram, the other with leather/rubber soles, and I like them both. But for daily wear I'd pick the vibram.

Add a felt insole for proper winter warmth.

Simonc, surely adding vibram soles to an old-style boot is more akin to fitting a Roller out for rallying? ;)

Last edited:

simonc

Practically Family
Sooner or later you will understand that less is so much more and lug soles are only relevant for hiking up muddy hills and never ever to be worn in an urban environment. The only time I think they are relevant is at certain meet ups in san francisco where the combination of heavy lug soles, leather and abundant body hair are most preciously admired.

cordwangler

One of the Regulars
Sooner or later you will understand that less is so much more and lug soles are only relevant for hiking up muddy hills and never ever to be worn in an urban environment.

I agree generally that clothing should suit the environment/weather - this is common sense - but I abhor clothing rules on the whole. I guess you could go further back and observe that lug/vibram soles replicate hobnail patterns - and hobnails were once as common in urb, with the less well-to-do, as in rus. [huh]

Murphydog was asking specifically about boots for standing around and working in, on cobbles (if I remember Cambridge market right). Not for in-town wear, really.

And then there's the non-manual workers wearing workwear debate that crops up here every now and then...

The only time I think they are relevant is at certain meet ups in san francisco where the combination of heavy lug soles, leather and abundant body hair are most preciously admired.

It could be argued, based on some quite hefty evidence, that we FL-ers' are ourselves a pretty determined gathering of specialized clothing fetishists :eeek: :D

Last edited:

simonc

Practically Family
Another thing i would suggest Paul is to ask for the boots to be leather lined, this comes at a £10 cost per boot, but the lining adds softness for your toes and ankles, and to find a good pair of thermal innersoles and the boots will be bullet proof, warm and stylish.

esteban68

Call Me a Cab
It's up to you MD but if you really want boots for work in the winter months then I'd definately go with the Vibram sole option, having worn boots virtually every day since I was 11 so that's 33 odd years, working in engineering, the Fire Service, in secure care establishments etc I can honestly tell you standing on a cold icy cobble or flag pavement in February in a flimsy soled boot with a little rubber 'topper' is no joke.
As cordwangler states the 'commando' rubber sole replicates the old hobnail patterns or even the old wooden lug peg soles of the Edwardian era, don't forget most roads even then were little more than dirt tracks.
As regards with the Rolls Royce thing they did indeed fit them with chunky tyres for overland and desert adventures back in the day and for military use.

esteban68

Call Me a Cab
It's up to you MD everyone is different, I suppose it depends how delicate your feet are?....the only lined boots I've ever had are my Loake Bedales and yes they are very nice when you put them on but to be honest once you've had them on a while it's hard to tell the difference.
I wear a walking socks in winter and jeans socks in autumn etc with my WL's as I always have done with boots -when the weather hits current temperatures it's sandals etc anyway so not an issue!
I must admit when I first wore my Lennons the right heel did rub a tad but after a couple of wears at around 3 hours or so gentle walking up in the Peak it went away and hasn't been an issue since.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eve_grace