Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

William Lennon Derby Boots - Black

wdw

One Too Many
I've just received these, 7 weeks after the order. They're the Derby, but modded with Horween Black CXL, commando soles and leather linings. My first impression, not having seen Lennons before, was that they looked and felt like boots must have done before mass production. They have a raw, handmade quality you just don't get off the shelf. I chose the soles to give maximum wearability in rain, as I find leather too restrictive and want to wear these in all weathers.

I'll now be ordering something else as I'm so impressed.

galopede

One of the Regulars
I have a pair of their black Ammo boots, in the grainy leather. Lovely boots and very comfortable. So solid I think my son will be passing them on to his son one day!

Still saving up for a pair of the Derbies.

Gareth

wdw

One Too Many
Just been checking their leather samples and they have one, slightly pebbled, which is a very close match to both Aero's Battered Brown and Cordovan hides, which means even better value for money.

Edward

Bartender
Very nice indeed. Do they have a good, solid sole with a flatter profile, less commando? Lennons Might well be my next option.

wdw

One Too Many
They do leather soles, no doubt very solid, but I don't know about thinner rubber ones. That would be nice though. I compared them to the "vintage" Doc Martens I got a couple of years ago, which technically are the same price. Needless to say, the Lennons are far superior. The good thing is they'll resole them when the time comes and you know you'll get the best possible job then too.

Davy Crockett

A-List Customer
Great pair of boots! but you forgot to mention that they also smell like new boots did before the days of mass production!

D

winterland1

Practically Family
They do leather soles, no doubt very solid, but I don't know about thinner rubber ones. That would be nice though. I compared them to the "vintage" Doc Martens I got a couple of years ago, which technically are the same price. Needless to say, the Lennons are far superior. The good thing is they'll resole them when the time comes and you know you'll get the best possible job then too.

I emailed asking if they can come up with a thinner rubber sole such as the Red Wing Beckman style. Will update.

wdw

One Too Many
I emailed asking if they can come up with a thinner rubber sole such as the Red Wing Beckman style. Will update.

Let me know what they say, please. I like what simonc's done with his soles, so I think that might be better than what Lennon propose, from what he said.

Edward

Bartender
I wonder if they can do cordovan... These oots,in both rubber soleand leather sole versions, look to be idealfor me, and if they did all the colours, significantly cheaper here than RedWing or the rest...

wdw

One Too Many
Edward, they do a Burgundy Full Grain, which from the small sample I have seems to be midway between my cordovan and battered brown, so I've ordered the same boot in that colour to cover both hides for the price of one. Like the title says, it’s a very grainy hide, nothing like the smooth one shown here.

They also do a brighter burgundy, but it seemed too bright and pinky/purple to be a close match to Aero cordovan. They'll send samples if you ask.

wdw

One Too Many
Edward they work with Aero, so you may even be able to match your boot hide to your jacket if you ask.

Didn't know that, but I did think Aero's boots were suspiciously similar, to the point that I thought Lennon might be their supplier.

FWIW, I paid £200 for a pair of Grensons which were a 100% match for Aero cordovan, but the leather was unlined and is wrinkling to the extent that I'm not even going to bother resoling them. I use trees, so it's obviously poor leather.

I also have a pair of Trickers I've dyed to the same colour. The quality is much higher than Grenson, but almost twice the price. That's why I reckon Lennon is such a bargain, as the leather is good quality, there's a wide range of colours, and the price is very reasonable indeed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eve_grace