Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

William Powell

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
He was brought up earlier by Brad Bowers and I thought I would elaborate a bit on the hats Powell wears.

I think they are a 2" brim with a vertical 6" crown. you see alot of hats like that in the 30's. You see alot of them in the Thin Man movies. I myself like a wider brim.

18.jpg

powell.loy.gif

2" brims were made in the 60's as well, though without the high crowns the look was very cheesy in my opinion. They got it right in the 30's.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Great photos, Matt!

That second hat is the one I'm after. He wore it or a remarkably similar one in most of his 1930s films, though in each film he sported two or three different ones. This one was the predominant one. By the late '30s, it seems to have lost its original liner, as a couple of films have two good shots of it, and its plain white, no crest or writing that I can see. Hard to tell from VHS; I wish they'd put more of his films out on DVD.

I'm guessing it's closer to a 2 1/4" brim, but that's only in comparison to one of my hats. I wear the same size as Powell, a 7 3/8 Long Oval, so I figure its a fair comparison. Surprisingly, his hats in the early '30s seemed to have quite a bit of taper, and almost always had a center dent, though I think I've seen one or two hand bashed C-crowns.

Brad Bowers

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
The History department here at the university had a reception last Friday evening, and I jokingly asked," White Tie or Black?" The department chair loves my hats and suits, saying it sets a standard that he wishes the professors would strive for. He wears hats, too, so its nice to have friends in high places. I told him that just once I would like to go to a white tie affair, just so I can wear tails and a top hat. He mentioned that the History department held just such an event a few years back, and it was a lot of fun for everyone. The Theater department outfitted everyone from the costume wardrobe. We decided maybe it's time to hold a white tie affair again next Spring. I'm already thinking of what to do for it. I need to see what bands are available on campus that we could rent cheap.

Brad

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Sounds pretty awsome to me.

I went to a very ritzy affair once. No costume department to outfit me so I ended up stading out like a sore thumb in a Navy Chalk stripe double breasted suit and a grey homburg in hand.

Most of the men had on Tails and the ladies were dressed to kill.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Hope you still had a swell time, though!

I'm watching eBay for used tuxedo rental stock. They show up pretty cheap quite a bit with the "Buy It Now" option. The most expensive thing will be the top hat. Vintage ones go for outrageous amounts. Does anyone still make silk top hats?

Brad

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
If you are willing to give up a leg you can get a silk top hat in London. The ones I have seen are not up to par with vintage, the silk just looks too bushy. If you go the non silk root, I have seen some fantastic looking collapsable ones at Baron hats. they have a reverse taper to the top of the crwon and everything. they also are easy to store.

I used to have a Stetson Silk top hat in pristine condition size 6 7/8 that went for a few hundred on ebay a few years back. Way too small for my head.

I ignorantly passed up buying one for $150 that was my size to a tee... 7 1/4 long oval with a National Recovery Act tag from the 30's in the sweatband. I later called the lady who was selling it and she told me she'd hold it for me when I went to buy the hat she told me she'd sold it to a shop owner who wanted it for a window display. I'd hate to see what it might look like in a few years. That was the biggest find I have ever had and I let it go.

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
William Powell had such class and grace. I loved him in My Man Godfrey, haven't seen much of the Thin Man series but would like to do so.

Speaking of 30's actors, here is a classic fedora wearer. I am fond of him because my father, when he was young, was almost a dead ringer for this actor. And they both wore fedoras with style.

Sorry for the bitmap, but I don't have a jpeg file on this computer. However, just open and it will appear.

karol

So let me get this straight Brad. You want a gray hat with a 1 1/2" black ribbon, cavanagh edge, 2 1/4" brim and a 6" crown? The block should be a center dent with two front bashes?
Sounds like a tall order but it is possible. They are out there it is just a matter of finding them. ;)
As an aside, I think the funniest scene in his movies was when Powell was relaxing on a hammock with a drink beside him on the ground with a straw coming out of it. Asta, the dog, saunters up to the glass quietly and puts him mouth on the straw as the glass empties. Asta staggers away. Powell then reaches down for the drink and discovers its empty. He says that must have been a strong drink. I can't even remember drinking it! LOL LOL

Regards to all,

J

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
By the by, all the Borsalinos I have have 2" ribbons, I think the hats Powell is wearing in the pictures do too. The reason I think the brim is 2" is because if they have a 2" ribbon, the brim looks to be the same size.

Just conjecture.

I don't know the make of the hats, though Most hats I find from the early 30's, Stetsons, Dobbs, Whatever lean toward the 2" ribbon side.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
That's about the size of it. About as light grey as it can be, I figure.

I'm not sure I would look good in a 2" brim, as I'm six inches shorter than Powell, and, shall we say, slightly stockier. That's my quandary: do I look for a hat exactly like his, or one that looks like it, only is more proportioned for myself? Still, the perfect hat is out there somewhere.

Brad

havershaw

Practically Family
William Powell was born in my hometown - Pittsburgh, PA.

Brad, I would get one that's correctly proportioned for your face. I think you could probably get a 2 1/8" or 2 1/4" brim and approximate the same look. Just make sure your crown is tall enough.

I'll keep my eyes, open, too. There were a whole bunch of Borsalinos with brims that were 2 1/8" and 2 1/4" a couple of weeks ago.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Thank you, gentleman, I appreciate it!

Pretty cool, being from the same town.

I tune in to eBay frequently, more often now that I have an income again. We only have one thrift store and one antique store in the valley here, so they're not a lot of help. I check when I get down to Salt Lake City every once in a while. I figure the right hat will come along eventually!

Brad

up196

A-List Customer
Here ya go . . .

I got this a few years back. We went to buy a straw skimmer for me to wear driving the '31 in warm weather and I saw this on the shelf. It didn't look much like any of the other fedoras. When the salesman said it was an old style that htey didn't carry anymore, my wife remarked "I guess you'll have to have that one too.", proving just what a smart and perceptive gal she is . . . Tom

up196

A-List Customer
Originally posted by Matt Deckard
Looks nice. Does it have an underwelt?

We need a pic with you wearing it.

Yes, it does have an underwelt, and here is a pic of me wearing it (at least that's what my wife says I look like wearing it!)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff