Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Woodtroll

One Too Many
Here is my first Wolfbrae.

I’d worked with Robert for many months on this and another hat I have coming. This was different because the hat was dyed.
I wanted a brown with red undertones, a dark mahogany. It was an interesting experience going through all the felt and dye options but the end result was better than I expected.
I’m quite stubborn and particular about how I want my hats and Robert is not only excellent at communicating and service but very patient and creative. I had concerns about the ribbon but sure enough, it came out great. (Camera lighting plays awful tricks)
The hat is is very rich. The felt is THICK and soft, but buttery, like a 5oz oil tanned leather, Which means it’s VERY stubborn to bash. But the fit was perfect, color was rich, obvious attention to detail. I am a very happy customer.
View attachment 415135 View attachment 415136 View attachment 415137

Very nice! I really like both the colors and the shape of this hat.

Wearing my steel gray (blue actually) this evening:

E1535D52-1756-424A-99E2-FDBFECAB7174.jpeg
3A734317-8708-4E73-9CF9-1A961D0D35C1.jpeg
69AE5A58-2187-45BE-9A0F-CA07DB40B3B6.jpeg
3B48FDBF-C4BB-4F4A-80F9-2329BF4DEAB2.jpeg

ProfCharles

New in Town
Hey Y’all!

I just got word from Robert.

He’s out of town but the internet isn’t working and he can’t be reached via the Forum or email.

If you’re looking for him, he can be reached via Instagram, @gaultrobert or wolfbraecustom.

Just completed my second ever Fedora University. Had 3 students this time around. One came back for a second go and the other two a father/son tandem. We had a blast. The son graduates this June from high school so this was an early graduation present from father to son. They all left with great smiles and great fedoras. As usual I forgot to snap pics but the students did.....I will get them to send me their pics to show.

Here are two pictures of the hat my student made in this weekend's workshop. Winchester beaver in whisky, classic fedora styling, 2 1/2" brim 4 1/2" crown at front. Batik liner with the student putting his stamp on the sweat with a calligraphy pen.
How cool!

Here is a hat the client just picked up this morning on her way to a holiday. Finished it last night and boxed it this morning. A little too tight a time line for my comfort, but I did it. The client wanted me to recreate her favourite summer straw beach hat in a felt. I came close but do think my version a little better but then I might have a bias.
Tonak sueded rabbit in Charcoal, with an ivory ribbon on the brim and crown. I had to use polyester ribbon to get the right colour. Damn it was hard to work with and will do my best to avoid poly ribbon in the future. It was fun to create this and would love to make more hats for women. First, pic is the original in straw. Middle pic is my version and the 3rd is a side by side.

Attachments

• IMG_2944.JPG
    IMG_2944.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 79
  • IMG_2942.JPG
    IMG_2942.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 61
  • IMG_2943.JPG
    IMG_2943.JPG
    3.8 MB · Views: 69
Just secured a final 300 yards of vintage European grosgrain. The last of Stephen Temkin's of Leon Drexler ribbon. He gave me a shot at a last order before he sold off his partial rolls of ribbon to one (unnamed) hatter. I have waaaaay more vintage ribbon than I will ever need or use BUT it is nice to have the selection. Vintage grosgrain really is different and so much more pliable and easy to work with than the modern (if you can find either!)

Just secured a final 300 yards of vintage European grosgrain. The last of Stephen Temkin's of Leon Drexler ribbon. He gave me a shot at a last order before he sold off his partial rolls of ribbon to one (unnamed) hatter. I have waaaaay more vintage ribbon than I will ever need or use BUT it is nice to have the selection. Vintage grosgrain really is different and so much more pliable and easy to work with than the modern (if you can find either!)

Good news indeed! We’ll see if we can’t make a dent in your ribbon stock.

I tried to snap some pics but it did not really show up. I shipped out 2 Akubras Squatters today....from different clients.....they arrived the same week. Both were trashed and both had holes in the crown both along the ridge line of the bash close to the pinch. I tried my best to talk the clients out of the expense but they both insisted they wanted them fixed up. It cost them almost as much as a new Akubra but they loved these hats.
I tore them down, complete wash. One of them tore along the brim break when I reblocked. Not really a tear so much as a disintegration of the felt. I booted the crown holes, and the tear with some wide grosgrain ribbon. Managed to close up the tear somewhat with some glue.

The end result was pretty damn good. I used my moth nibble repair technique using felt scrapings to slowly, painstakingly fill in the hole. Not invisible but a whole lot better than the shape it was when it arrived. The client picked up one today and he is thrilled. I also managed to reduce an almost new Squatter of his from a size 62 down to a 59 so it fit him. The other repair was mailed off today and I will get the review next week. Not sure I want to do much of that work......can't really charge enough to justify the time I spent but in the end it was weirdly satisfying to refurbish hats that really should have been tossed in the bin.

Woodtroll

One Too Many
I'm hoping there are photos to go with this post, especially if there are before-and-after shots. ;) There is indeed sometimes more value in restoring old cherished possessions than just buying something new, and I agree with you that it is usually more satisfying.

I'm hoping there are photos to go with this post, especially if there are before-and-after shots. ;) There is indeed sometimes more value in restoring old cherished possessions than just buying something new, and I agree with you that it is usually more satisfying.
No pics. I attempted to snap some but both were dark felt hats and the pics just did not show anything.

Now for something completely different: This is my first wedding hat. The groom had an ivory tux, with a purple bowtie and pocket puff and wanted a matching hat to top it off. I tried to talk him out of the added purple horizontal stripe and just go with the purple accent in the keeper. But he insisted on the full purple. He will send me pics of the wedding day....(tomorrow). Strange twist to this....I was gifted a vintage flange by a fellow hatter. It was weirdly asymmetrical. The front (or rear) dimension was much narrow than the opposite. When I accepted the commission for his was not sure how I was going to effect the brim treatment he wanted....i.e. the deep cupping on the rear brim but lessening as it worked its way forward. Voila, the gifted flange (in even the right size for the client) produced the exact brim profile I needed to match his picture. It may be the only time I ever use that flange but damn it sure came in handy. Bone coloured Ukraine rabbit felt, Ivory ribbon with vintage purple ribbon on the stripe. No bow wanted.

Attachments

• IMG_2980.JPG
    IMG_2980.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 64
  • IMG_2978.JPG
    IMG_2978.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 65
  • IMG_2982.JPG
    IMG_2982.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 67

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
Now for something completely different: This is my first wedding hat. The groom had an ivory tux, with a purple bowtie and pocket puff and wanted a matching hat to top it off. I tried to talk him out of the added purple horizontal stripe and just go with the purple accent in the keeper. But he insisted on the full purple. He will send me pics of the wedding day....(tomorrow). Strange twist to this....I was gifted a vintage flange by a fellow hatter. It was weirdly asymmetrical. The front (or rear) dimension was much narrow than the opposite. When I accepted the commission for his was not sure how I was going to effect the brim treatment he wanted....i.e. the deep cupping on the rear brim but lessening as it worked its way forward. Voila, the gifted flange (in even the right size for the client) produced the exact brim profile I needed to match his picture. It may be the only time I ever use that flange but damn it sure came in handy. Bone coloured Ukraine rabbit felt, Ivory ribbon with vintage purple ribbon on the stripe. No bow wanted.

Sweet one, Robert.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OldBoot