Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Women Reenactors?

Story

I'll Lock Up
Ask, and ye shall receive

alexandra said:
Since I've been posting here I've had an urge to get into reenacting, but I have no idea how to get into it and have never heard or seen anything about it around here. I figure it's something I would enjoy being that it combines my love of vintage clothing, WWII and I go to school for acting...it makes so much sense! But I am afraid lol

PERTH REGIMENT. Reenactment unit that celebrates the deeds of the canadian infantryman during WW2.Events held in the Toronto, Kingston and Ottawa region. There are 90 men fully uniformed and equipped as Perth and 10 others representing supporting units, such as signals and medical corps. The original Perth Regiment after mobilization in Canada spent the early years of WW2 in garrison and training in Britain. It saw combat in Italy as an infantry battalion in the 11th infantry Brigade of 5th Armoured Division. The Perths soon gained a reputation for courage, initiative and reliability. In early 1945, all Canadian troops which had been fighting in Italy were transfered to Belgium in early march, now all five divisions were fighting as a team. In some of the hardest actions of the war, the Canadians drove the German out of northern Holland and helped to end the war.

ATHENE SECTION. The Athene section's goal is to provide the public with a general overview of Canadian women's involment in the Second World War. We endeavour to illustrate al aspects of Canadian women's important and diverse roles in the service of our country.
http://www.geocities.com/Yosemite/2069/anglais.html

retrogirl1941

One Too Many
I have been reenacting for 7 years now. I started doing Civil war but am now doing WWII exclusivley. I do Civilian defense, and general homefront impressions. I love the sports wear from the period and you most likely see me running around in some offbeat odd sports outfit nobody would wear.

Samantha

Mary

Practically Family
I'm also interested but more in the fenomenon than actually participating. Are most people in the US active? You seem to have a very living WWII-culture. Why do you think that is?

And there are reenactions in England too. Do you think they are the same as the ones in the US. Would you say it's the same culture? And what is that culture?

I guess it can be a lot of differenent things for different people, but what is it for you?

M

Airshowgal

New in Town
Fantastic!

I'm not a reenactor but I am a militaria collector primarily of WWII 'stuff' (military & homefront). I think it's fantastic to see so many women who do participate in reenacting. I've thought about doing it but haven't made up my mind whether to do it or not. Keep up the good work ladies! :)

missjo

Practically Family
I dont call it reenactment but Living History ;)
And I have been at it for nearly 10 years.
I portray the Dutch homefront, the average housewife in the Netherlands before, during and after the occupation.
Here is our groups site;
www.nederland4045.nl

At a few occasions I have portrayed a British nurse, but my heart lies with the civilians.

Chas

One Too Many
Waiting to see some women to turn up as Russian Snipers, MP's or fighter pilots.
soviet-women-at-war.jpg

Red_Army_Sniper_July_1944.jpg

parachutage

New in Town
Kilroy's Boys...but check out the dames...

Great thread here [ I fear I am posting after so many have probably posted before me on this ... moderators my apologies if this link has already been posted ] ....

A really historic group in Texas that has male and female reenactors are "The Kilroy's Boys":

http://www.kilroysboys.com

... be sure to check out the "Glamor Gals" --- who do a super impression as well. :D

I ran into them back in 2006 when I attend the "Battle for Nancy, France 1944" reenactment in Waxahachie, Texas [ of all places ] and met the guys and the gals and they are just super people who do a great impression, put on hangar dances and even do great work with the WWII War Brides Association.

The Glamor Gals really make the impression what it is. I will never forget getting pics of the ladies at the Historic Rogers Hotel during the USO Show...

Again ... moderators my apologies if this link or thread has been posted before. -Mick

JennyLou

Practically Family
45th

I just joined the 45th Field Hosiptal and my first event being a nurse with them will be Old Days at Ft. Mac (if I get my uniform together in time). Wish me luck.

Hillocks

New in Town
I just started my 8th year of re-enacting in Holland.
www.livinghistory.nl and then Vrouwen in uniform. (Women in uniform) That's my group.

Our main impresssion is ATS but we also have WAC, WAAF, WRNS, ANC, Red Cross, QA etc.

FinalVestige79

Practically Family
All Aces For Sure

I had no idea there were so many women reenactors on fedora lounge!! And all of you do a US IMPRESSION!!!! You have no idea how rare it is to see women do US when over here all I see is DRK, SS and Luftwaffe Helferin.

Any of you interested in the National / Regional event at Camp Roberts in November? Over 300 attendees usually come and fight, and we armor comes from all over the country. Theres a Panzer III coming from CO which is positively awesome! If any of you ladies have any questions feel free drop a line.

Dylan

MissJeanavive

One of the Regulars
ANC

Hello Ladies!

I do WWII Army Nurse Corp - Major & Civilian Nurse.

3565490140_85dc244de9.jpg

3524110881_b1cd21dbfe.jpg

Just getting into it...I have been doing 40's & Swing dancing for several years so it feels like a natural progressions.

My dad was 20 yrs older than my mom so I grew up in a house of Glenn Miller. The American Flag was displayed routinely at our home to honor those who served followed by us folding it properly. My father didn't go to war because of a medical reason but his brother who was in the Navy went in 1941.

The Germans took over our family castle in Bemmel Holland so WWII was always near to my family.

My mother is a nurse; not old enough for WWII but knowing her if she was alive during the time she would have served. She worked in VA hospitals for many years so has seen a lot of vets.

I wanted to join the Marines as a Medic which meant I needed to be a Navy corpsman...my mother said 'you could never take orders'...I said; 'I would just to prove I could'...one thing led to another and I never pursued it.

Makes me wonder what life would have been like for me now...so in a way the reenacting honors my father, my mother, my dutch side of the family, and perhaps who I could have been...

From my Blog: Remembering D-Day

Hillocks

New in Town
And MissJeanavive you look stunning in your nurse uniform, really like the pinks and green combination ;)

Well the most fancy picture I have at the moment is already a year old, but oh wel I can't resist to post it :eek:

JennyLou

Practically Family
Hillocks and Miss Jeanavive- you both look so wonderful in your uniforms. I can't wait to expand my uniform collection so I can do more WWII impressions.

texasgirl

One Too Many
I've been to a couple WWII events. I've done just home front impressions, a civilian at the WWII Weekend in Waxahachie and Rosie the Riveter at another event at the Frontiers of Flight Museum. Oh, and I did a kind of French Resistance thing at Fort Richardson. But I am looking forward to more events.

Waxahachie
100_3206.jpg

Frontiers of Flight
ScreenHunter_03Apr211105.jpg

Fort Richardson
ftrichardson.jpg

Most often, though, I do 1930s reenacting running around with John Dillinger, Baby Face Nelson, or Clyde Barrow.
Gibsland_2009_Cary_045.jpg

texasgirl

One Too Many
Thanks Hillocks! I like your uniform too and the picture is cute!

Thanks JennyLou! Post some pictures of your outfit when you get it all together!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points