Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Women Reenactors?

Davep

One of the Regulars
GranadaGuy617 said:
You have no idea how rare it is to see women do US when over here all I see is DRK, SS and Luftwaffe Helferin.
Dylan

Rare? There are US women reenactors, not just DRK

CHG
IMG_0065.JPG

IMG_0071.JPG

IMG_0460.JPG

IMG_0465.JPG

IMG_0461.JPG

IMG_0096.JPG

RPS
IMG_0032.JPG

IMG_0033.JPG

IMG_0034.JPG

FinalVestige79

Practically Family
I was only talking for the CHG. The Axis have much more of a female presence sadly. but our nurses do a great job, I can attest - They carried me to the aid station once...good stuff. Even the 6669th WAC ladies are defunct. Quite sad.

Davep

One of the Regulars
GranadaGuy617 said:
I was only talking for the CHG. The Axis have much more of a female presence sadly. but our nurses do a great job, I can attest - They carried me to the aid station once...good stuff. Even the 6669th WAC ladies are defunct. Quite sad.

Even with the CHG it isn't rare to see women US reenactors. While they don't come to all the events, I've seen them at three events this season alone.

In addition to the women US reenactors, you have a bunch that do a Russian Impression

l_9ee45814bb5a2deb5d8fe3c6d72dfa5d.jpg

l_7687b491e33f74506ce6afcae0644e59.jpg

l_7a2885e16c8940d5b4c6d0aa70091d43.jpg

FinalVestige79

Practically Family
Davep said:
Even with the CHG it isn't rare to see women US reenactors. While they don't come to all the events, I've seen them at three events this season alone.

In the CHG there are the Nurses, The ladies that work in the 2nd AD Field Kitchen, and a handful of combat photographers / correspondents. I'm not denying the fact that they come out, its the fact there are not many of them. Thats my point. - The 45th is growing by the way which I am happy to see.

Unless of course you go Ruskie. Lol.

MissJeanavive

One of the Regulars
Those pictures are amazing! Bravo. I have heard many units have disbanded but there is another generation just needing a lead to get into it. I am eager and out there and hoping to do a lot more. Its certainly a boys club but I don't mind because I drink whiskey, smoke cigars, and give them a run for the money on the dance floor - earning me much respect and invites to some of the inner circle events. I am also planning to take first response training to really get into the mind set. As well, reading tons of books and talking to all the WWII vets I can get my hands on.

3639206099_24b2668dfe.jpg

Eagle Field Fly In - You all need to plan to go next year amazing fun!

3627944710_b0a4d5dbce.jpg

3627980992_e84e381249.jpg

FinalVestige79

Practically Family
If you are ever down here or can make the trip I would highly highly suggest getting involved with the 45th Field Hospital. JennyLou is a new member to that unit. They are a great bunch of gals! We need to see more ladies out in the field!

http://www.45thfieldhospital.moonfruit.com/

MissJeanavive said:
Those pictures are amazing! Bravo. I have heard many units have disbanded but there is another generation just needing a lead to get into it. I am eager and out there and hoping to do a lot more. Its certainly a boys club but I don't mind because I drink whiskey, smoke cigars, and give them a run for the money on the dance floor - earning me much respect and invites to some of the inner circle events. I am also planning to take first response training to really get into the mind set. As well, reading tons of books and talking to all the WWII vets I can get my hands on.

MissJeanavive

One of the Regulars
Thanks Dave I have emailed Amy and Jenny Lou I am going to email you on PM to talk about Ft. Mac. I am going and going alone from the Bay Area so I would like to get involved and not just be a bystander.

Davep

One of the Regulars
Here are some pictures of the gals in the 45th Field Hospital at Fort Mac. As you can see they attend many events.

Everybody who is attending the Old Fort Macarthur Days event can register themselves seperately here:

Register and Pay
http://www.solutionfactory.net/ofmdsignup2/

The fee is $5. You can either pay by check or credit card. Please sign up ASAP!

Liability Form
Here's the updated liability form that everybody needs to bring!

http://www.ftmac.org/downloads/LiabilityRelease.pdf

Who's Going so far
Also to find out who has already registered and paid you can look up the unit and the people's names here:
This site, tell you who has registered for the Fort Mac

http://www.solutionfactory.net/ofmdsignup2/OrgListing.aspx

ftmac7.jpg

ftmac3.jpg

2688605259_b97af6c98a.jpg

Miss Sis

One Too Many
Plenty of women re-enactors in Britain, doing lots of different things such as ATS (Auxilary Teritorial Service), WAAF (Womens Auxilary Air Force) and WRENS (Womens Royal Naval Service) as well as civilian roles like WLA (Womens Land Army) and WVS (Womens Voluntary Service), Nursing etc. Also lots of impressions from other countries. Plenty of American Nursing Units and I've also seen Russians.

Friends of mine do an ATS Searchlight Unit and they even have their own searchlight they maintain and use. You see plenty of people wearing the uniform but it's rare to see them actually showing the jobs women were undertaking then.

Personally, I prefer to do civilian roles. A couple of us do Land Army on occasion at an Open Air Museum where we do real jobs like hedging and ditching or making hay. Most of the comments we get are things like "Oh, that looks too much like hard work!" lol Well, we do it to get an idea for what it was really like as well as help out the museum with work they need done. Plus we often get real Land Girls coming by and then we get to chat with them about their experiences during and just Post War. It's really nice when they say 'Oh, seeing you do that really takes me back...'

DannyBoy

New in Town
MissJeanavive said:
Thanks Dave I have emailed Amy and Jenny Lou I am going to email you on PM to talk about Ft. Mac. I am going and going alone from the Bay Area so I would like to get involved and not just be a bystander.
Amy's awesome and is always on the lookout for more help with the 10th, just tell her Danny sent you. The 45th gals are a great bunch too, just join up with both and you're pretty much set for all the events in California.
Old Fort MacArthur Days is a great event, there's people doing impressions from the Romans and barbarians all the way up to Korea and Vietnam. Definitely interesting to see everyone together in one place. I'll be there as Japanese this year, I'll be sure to swing by and plunder the field hospital, 'cause I'm just that dastardly.

jtwisher

New in Town
GranadaGuy617 said:
In the CHG there are the Nurses, The ladies that work in the 2nd AD Field Kitchen, and a handful of combat photographers / correspondents. I'm not denying the fact that they come out, its the fact there are not many of them. Thats my point. - The 45th is growing by the way which I am happy to see.

Unless of course you go Ruskie. Lol.

I've been watching this thread for a few days now, and as a founding member of the (re-enacted) 45th field hospital, I wish to clarify a few things. We were the first (not counting the 10th fh, a discussion for another day), and for years the only, unit in the CHG that portrayed a female-based impression. We actually are intentionally a small unit, for several reasons. The size of the hospital we work in is too small for large numbers of personell (a fly that is roughly the size of a GP small, as opposed to the 3 GP larges that a real field hospital typically was). The years that our unit had around a dozen members (which is large for a non-combatant unit), we found ourselves having to take turns running the hospital at tactical events, because there just wasn't room for all of us and the patients. Also, we are very strict about being as historically accurate as possible, which I have discovered tends to turn off many not-so-serious folks, unfortunately. But this also means that we only go to events where, a) it was historically accurate that ANC would be, and b) where we logistically can set up and use the hospital (no fun paying battle fees when you can't play your impression!). This is probably why you feel that you hardly ever see us. So, while it may look to many newbies to the CHG that we are a fledgling re-enacted-unit-that-could, we are actually a well-seasoned, hard-working, fun-loving, well-oiled machine of re-enacted Army Nurse Corps loveliness!
-Jessica (thank-you Danny and Dave for your compliments! Jenny, I look forward to meeting you at Ft. Mac. Everyone who wishes to join our impression there needs to contact our unit! See the link that Jenny posted).
PS We love us the flaskin' (yes, "to flask" is a verb),ciggie-smokin',and dancin', but AFTER HOURS, because part of trying to be historically accurate means showing respect to the great women that we are portraying.

JennyLou

Practically Family
Hello

Hi jtwisher, I can't wait to meet you at Ft. Mac and I hope I'll be able to contribute as much as I can and be a valued mamber of the 45th.
~ Jenny
jtwisher said:
I've been watching this thread for a few days now, and as a founding member of the (re-enacted) 45th field hospital, I wish to clarify a few things. We were the first (not counting the 10th fh, a discussion for another day), and for years the only, unit in the CHG that portrayed a female-based impression. We actually are intentionally a small unit, for several reasons. The size of the hospital we work in is too small for large numbers of personell (a fly that is roughly the size of a GP small, as opposed to the 3 GP larges that a real field hospital typically was). The years that our unit had around a dozen members (which is large for a non-combatant unit), we found ourselves having to take turns running the hospital at tactical events, because there just wasn't room for all of us and the patients. Also, we are very strict about being as historically accurate as possible, which I have discovered tends to turn off many not-so-serious folks, unfortunately. But this also means that we only go to events where, a) it was historically accurate that ANC would be, and b) where we logistically can set up and use the hospital (no fun paying battle fees when you can't play your impression!). This is probably why you feel that you hardly ever see us. So, while it may look to many newbies to the CHG that we are a fledgling re-enacted-unit-that-could, we are actually a well-seasoned, hard-working, fun-loving, well-oiled machine of re-enacted Army Nurse Corps loveliness!
-Jessica (thank-you Danny and Dave for your compliments! Jenny, I look forward to meeting you at Ft. Mac. Everyone who wishes to join our impression there needs to contact our unit! See the link that Jenny posted).
PS We love us the flaskin' (yes, "to flask" is a verb),ciggie-smokin',and dancin', but AFTER HOURS, because part of trying to be historically accurate means showing respect to the great women that we are portraying.

Davep

One of the Regulars
Here they are at the Huntington Beach 4th of July Parade. What is interesting is they are here, and many of the "men" units are missing.

IMG_0005.JPG

CHG_Parade_20071.jpg

jtwisher

New in Town
It has always been imperative to me to teach others, otherwise re-enacting just feels grizzly to me. Was that last year or the year before? I forgot that they did the whites! I missed both years, because two years ago I was newly pregnant and needing to be careful, and last year I was still post-partum (that weight comes of MUCH more slowlly after the third child!) and not exactly fitting the uniforms!
Those are fantastic pictures. And I love the super old-school ones you posted (I haven't seen a couple of those ladies in years).
The 45th LOVES Living History. Please, those who are in SoCal, come to Ft. Mac this year. And go to Marching Through History, the 45th's "big dance".

FinalVestige79

Practically Family
I didn't mean any disrespect ma'am, I knew the 45th was the first and only female unit for a long time...and frankly any group of gals that can carry my butt 25 yards is a marvel to me. I've always liked the 45th...and whenever I meet a girl that wants to reenact I always direct them to the 45th. Whether the girl follows through is another story...lol.

Davep

One of the Regulars
jtwisher said:
Was that last year or the year before? I forgot that they did the whites!

Those are fantastic pictures. And I love the super old-school ones you posted (I haven't seen a couple of those ladies in years).
The 45th LOVES Living History. Please, those who are in SoCal, come to Ft. Mac this year. And go to Marching Through History, the 45th's "big dance".

That was the 2007 Parade. As for the Ft Mac photos those are also from 2007. I'm always looking for photos to provide examples of what all the CHG units do. I found those pictures on Flickr.com Many times non-reenactors take a lot of photos and post them there

http://www.flickr.com/photos/shutterbec/2689417216/
You'll find a lot more of your unit than I posted. You can download large version of the photos and add them to your unit's "picasa slideshow"

Same goes for videos, go to Google and click videos and search for them there
[YOUTUBE]PmHs8CJU5BI[/YOUTUBE]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner