Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Women Reenactors?

Davep

One of the Regulars
Yeah one person's farbee is another person authenticity. But even those claiming to be authentic cut corners, push things, or rationalize why they can do something. Whether it be post war plastic helmet liners, aviator sunglasses, over the top mustaches, facial hair label as 5 days worth of growth, sideburns, french ranger boots, borrowed rifles, captured rifles, etc.

Anyone can be 100% authentic with no standards be judged by or worse armed with a photograph as your proof.

FinalVestige79

Practically Family
Davep said:
Yeah one person's farbee is another person authenticity. But even those claiming to be authentic cut corners, push things, or rationalize why they can do something. Whether it be post war plastic helmet liners, aviator sunglasses, over the top mustaches, facial hair label as 5 days worth of growth, sideburns, french ranger boots, borrowed rifles, captured rifles, etc.

Anyone can be 100% authentic with no standards be judged by or worse armed with a photograph as your proof.

Like this?

IMG_0002.jpg

Davep

One of the Regulars
Exactly like that.

Even when it's in my own unit. I don't rationalize or make excuses, even if it's in my own unit. Whether it be a new guy or someone with experience.

MissJeanavive

One of the Regulars
Though the above ladies may not have it correct...I am impressed with the seersucker since they aren't the easiest thing to find in good condition, as well the Civilian nurse aid uniforms...in 1945 there were only 1000 nurses' aides...If they aren't vintage uniforms they got the patterns down overseas!

Here is a recent photo of me; I didn't have time to throw my hair up...

3764331905_0da52fd9ce.jpg

Viola

Call Me a Cab
Bumping this to ask if there's a site or guidelines for getting started? Or do I just try to dig up a local group and harrass them about it? What is the baseline of a getting started sort of kit?

Oh, oh, and I cannot do an Axis impression. I know someone has to, but I can't.

Story

I'll Lock Up
They even have a Yahoo group

http://www.angelfire.com/ma3/PaperDolls/

We portray women from all walks of life who each served their countries in their own unique way, from the hometown sweetheart to French Partisans. Some impressions include American Red Cross volunteers, Army and Nav Nurses, women soldiers in the ATS, WAAF, USMC, WAC, CWAC and WAVE, German DRK Nurses and Helferin, as well as the women pilots, and even Russian snipers and infantry women. We have impressions for almost every wartime nation. We do it all, and we are proud to do it well.

Viola

Call Me a Cab
My family was already in the US by that point but we're out of Russia; I definitely have the build/look for it. :)

Davep

One of the Regulars
If your interested in reenacting you have to find a unit and/or organization where you live. So in order for anyone to direct you... what area of the country or the world do you live?

p51

One Too Many
Davep said:
Look at what the “wounded soldier” is resting on. ARRRRGH! It's attack of the postwar Mermite Cans! :eusa_doh: Sorry, it drives me nuts to see postwar mermites used even though SO many people use them because they’re easier to find than the round ones which are correct for WW2. Someone will probably argue this point like they’ll often do at events, but those square mermite cans were never used in WW2…

Davep

One of the Regulars
image030.jpg

Unfortunatley they didn't get into the theater. Much the same as reenactors who use swivel bale, rear seam helmets, French Boots used as American Combat Boots (Double Buckle), etc It's all about degree of authenticity, everything is up for grabs

As you pointed out these are the only ones to make it into the theater
image001.jpg

p51

One Too Many
Davep said:
Yeah, I know, people pull that page out all the time, saying it’s a WW2 PATTERN. But like bayonet lugs on carbines, M3-A1 grease guns and other items, there were all kinds of things that were on paper near the end of the war that never made it there. The square mermites are a good example. You’ll never, EVER find an example that is WW2 dated anywhere. Nor will you ever find a photo of them being used at any point in WW2.

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
cco23i said:
It's too bad more women don't want to portray WAAC mechanics. After portraying a WW2 ground crewman for a couple years now it would be kinda neat to see some female mechanics working on an airplane.

Scott

LOL you mean like this?
4tqk5rl.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana