Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wool/Fur Blend

HamletJSD

A-List Customer
I guess I have beed under the mistaken assumption that wool and fur don't mix in hats ... but my dad has a Bailey that very clearly says "80% Wool 20% Fur Felt" (or some such mixture).

Is there any difference on how to care for something like this? I steamed and reshaped it a bit before realizing it was mostly wool and it didn't seem to have any ill effects. I am guessing, though, that you shouldn't do that too much?

Any thoughts?

deanglen

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I am convinced the BCF fedoras are wool/fur blends, and basing this opinion on them, the result is a hat that is not as rough as pure wool, nor as smooth as fur alone, and in any event not as sought after as vintage fur. They shape fine with steam and offer similar water and heat transference characteristics. I don't mind them.

dean

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
Wool and fur blends have been used in hatmaking, for a long time. This site

http://1confederate.stores.yahoo.net/clothing-hats-and-caps.html

seems to make the claim that , during the Civil War, both sides used "slouch hats" that were 85% wool and 10% fur (5% unknown?).

More recently, "Dynafelt" was a designation for a wool/fur blend. It's really not a bad deal. You get a durable, inexpensive, decent looking hat, for a moderate price.

HamletJSD

A-List Customer
Thanks guys, that all makes sense ... and it accurately describes his hat: a bit rough, but not too bad for the price.

I think I might still tell him to choose something else while it's raining though, I've got to think it'll start shrinking at some point ;)

Edward

Bartender
Does the fur content give the hat a much greater degree of shapeability than would be the case with pure wool? A hybrid that would hold its shape like fur but was crushable like wool, and cheap to buy to boot, would be a very attractive option for a travel hat...

deanglen

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Edward said:
Does the fur content give the hat a much greater degree of shapeability than would be the case with pure wool? A hybrid that would hold its shape like fur but was crushable like wool, and cheap to buy to boot, would be a very attractive option for a travel hat...

Yes. The fur content gives the felt a boost in all areas, so to speak, Ed. I think you can see why I liked the BCF hats so much. For the price, they performed pretty well not looked not half bad. Crushable? Have you ever seen the thread about a rollable fur felt fedora? Apparently a tope of the line fur felt can be rolled up from the sides and returned to original shape without undue damage. Didn't believe it myself until I saw the thread.
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=1915&highlight=roll+hat

dean

Edward

Bartender
deanglen said:
Have you ever seen the thread about a rollable fur felt fedora? Apparently a tope of the line fur felt can be rolled up from the sides and returned to original shape without undue damage. Didn't believe it myself until I saw the thread.

Yeah - alas that level of hat is beyond my budget, but they would be ideal. Short hops aren't so bad, but looking after a fedora on a long haul could be a pain.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy