Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Working Out Killing My Hourglass Physique

TheSacredFemme

One of the Regulars
Hello ladies!

I have a rather vain topic of discussion. A few weeks ago I hit a bit of a wall when I couldn't walk up 4 flights of stairs without feeling light headed so I've begun to run every other day and doing other cross training exercises on the off days. I feel miles better, those stairs have now been conquered and am even becoming interested in maybe running a race or two in the future.

However, while I'm loving my new "guns" (as I like to call them) I do worry about how this may affect my pride and joy of being a proper, little 90-60-90 cm hourglass.

What do you think of the vintage aesthetic on someone with hard curves rather than soft curves? The hubby is already dreading the loss of the much adored love handles.

I guess the question is whether I'd rather pump my self-esteem with bench pressing my weight or with looking snazzy in my vintage wear.

Anyone else have this "issue?"

Last edited:

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Well, I would say two things:

1. I think if you have an hourglass figure it is set somewhat genetically. I have large bony hips and ample mammary tissue, and even when I have been far too thin in the past I've maintained my hourglass shape. Granted, when I gain weight it tends to spread out evenly, so I maintain my ratio even when quite heavier (we're talking 60 pounds or so difference between my heaviest adult weight and my lightest).

2. Weight chances have to do with a simple formula of calories in and calories out. If you are running and expending more calories, you need to take more calories in to maintain your weight. You simply need to eat more. You want to try to do this in a healthy way, like adding more fruit or complex carbs or protein. There's also quick ways to add weight if necessary... the most famous of which is a milkshake made from whole milk, real ice cream, chocolate syrup, and peanut butter. But I'd recommend a piece of fruit over that.

You can calculate how many calories you are burning on various online calculators and then look up corresponding calories foods to see how much you need to replace. For instance, an apple is about 80 to 100 calories.

magnolia76

One of the Regulars
Respectfully, I disagree. I think you need to take in less calories than you were eating before. You mentioned you have only been doing this a few weeks, which is not enough time to judge what your new body will look like. Your body is getting "buffer" with the new muscle, but to slim it out, you have to diet as well. Don't worry, only for a few months! When you like what you see, start incorporating in more calories with fruits and whole grains. Kudos to you for choosing a healthy lifestyle!

Well, I would say two things:

1. I think if you have an hourglass figure it is set somewhat genetically. I have large bony hips and ample mammary tissue, and even when I have been far too thin in the past I've maintained my hourglass shape. Granted, when I gain weight it tends to spread out evenly, so I maintain my ratio even when quite heavier (we're talking 60 pounds or so difference between my heaviest adult weight and my lightest).

2. Weight chances have to do with a simple formula of calories in and calories out. If you are running and expending more calories, you need to take more calories in to maintain your weight. You simply need to eat more. You want to try to do this in a healthy way, like adding more fruit or complex carbs or protein. There's also quick ways to add weight if necessary... the most famous of which is a milkshake made from whole milk, real ice cream, chocolate syrup, and peanut butter. But I'd recommend a piece of fruit over that.

You can calculate how many calories you are burning on various online calculators and then look up corresponding calories foods to see how much you need to replace. For instance, an apple is about 80 to 100 calories.

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Respectfully, I disagree. I think you need to take in less calories than you were eating before. You mentioned you have only been doing this a few weeks, which is not enough time to judge what your new body will look like. Your body is getting "buffer" with the new muscle, but to slim it out, you have to diet as well. Don't worry, only for a few months! When you like what you see, start incorporating in more calories with fruits and whole grains. Kudos to you for choosing a healthy lifestyle!

My understanding was that she wanted to preserve her current figure (she mentioned keeping her love handles, for instance), not slim down, which is why I recommended she eat more. I could be wrong, however.

LaMedicine

One Too Many
The OP's a Brit, so her measurments are in centimeters, not inches.
90-60-90 translates to 36-24-36 in the US. Wow.

I don't think you'll really change much. It's more likely that the muscles will help hold the body parts up that tend to sag with age, and make you look perkier if anything, unless you lose weight as you train.
So, eat a well balanced diet to match your activities.
Also, have a health check that includes blood labs, just in case your lightheadedness is due to an underlying medical condition, especially if you are thinking seriously of competing in a race or two.

Matt Crunk

One Too Many
What do you think of the vintage aesthetic on someone with hard curves rather than soft curves?

Personally, from this man's perspective, I much prefer soft curves. I fail to understand why any man would want a "hardbody" woman. To me defined abs are very unattractive (on a woman). In fact just about any defined muscle group on a woman just makes her look masculine. Not at all attractive in my book. I much prefer a lady with a few extra pounds any day of the week, as long as she is healthy. Just my 2 cents.

Stray Cat

My Mail is Forwarded Here
pride and joy of being a proper, little 90-60-90 hourglass.
That is something to be proud of! :thumb:
(and this comes from someone wishing to be a "pear" shaped girl - as they like to call it in the fashion magazines)

Personally,
I've had a question of looks myself; however mine was related with weight loss and maintaining my derrière. :D My "problem" was (still is) - I'm rather masculine.. let's call it "athletic", so when I workout my body switches back to it's natural state:

body-frame-1.jpg

(...I the V-frame by nature)

As sheeplady previously stated: it is set somewhat genetically. It is a shape of our body and we can't change it.. much. Proper exercise routine and proper diet can help solve some of the "odd bits" that we dislike (like my waist for instance).
It takes 4 weeks for you to notice some changes.
It takes about 8 weeks for you friends & family to spot the difference.
It takes 12 weeks for everyone else to see it.
Couple of weeks is TOO SHORT to see any change (muscle burn aside!) ;)
No worries - if you don't like the end result - you can always STOP EVERYTHING and your body will return to it's natural state. :D

vintageTink

One Too Many
Personally, from this man's perspective, I much prefer soft curves. I fail to understand why any man would want a "hardbody" woman. To me defined abs are very unattractive (on a woman). In fact just about any defined muscle group on a woman just makes her look masculine. Not at all attractive in my book. I much prefer a lady with a few extra pounds any day of the week, as long as she is healthy. Just my 2 cents.
My husband thinks the same way.

magnolia76

One of the Regulars
My understanding was that she wanted to preserve her current figure (she mentioned keeping her love handles, for instance), not slim down, which is why I recommended she eat more. I could be wrong, however.

Definitely to each their own body. I know that when I exercise without dieting, I turn more into a straight line, rather than an hourglass. If I diet and exercise, I get my hourglass back, just a smaller hourglass than I had before. :)

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Definitely to each their own body. I know that when I exercise without dieting, I turn more into a straight line, rather than an hourglass. If I diet and exercise, I get my hourglass back, just a smaller hourglass than I had before. :)

Ah... I'm totally different- dieting or exercise makes no difference on me. It's amazing isn't it how different we all are, isn't it?

TheSacredFemme

One of the Regulars
Thank you so much for all your help and advice, everyone!

At the end of the day, I think you guys are probably right- I'm not going to not be a curvy hourglass any more, probably just a bit of a tighter, smaller one!

As for the gentleman discussing the merits and non-merits of a "hard, muscular" body I gotta say that while I feel the same way when I look at women I can't knock the fact that feeling what my body is capable of doing within just a few weeks of exercise far outweighs any male praise in that department. Of course, my vanity will prevail and I enjoy being told that I'm attractive, but it has been exhilarating to see what bodies are "made for" and capable of.

Stray Cat

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I agree on this one.
If I don't eat well.. my workout bulks me up - end result NOT being what I aim for.
If I take care of what enters my mouth (and try not to over-work my shoulders) I get to keep my backside. :D

Grant Fan

Practically Family
I too am an hour glass and all working put has done is make me thinner and things are tighter and don't wiggle anymore. It don't ruin my vintage look it just made my clothes look nicer on my firmer form. I have lost 2 inches from my bust, 3 from my waist, about 1.5 from my hips and 2 from each thigh. So now I am at 36 or 37 depending on my bra, 26 in the waist, and 40 in the hips. So I think you have nothing to worry about. Also my bum is still round but it is firmer and sits higher. No mor saddle bags or love handles. I have done this since early February. Also to go off of what the other girls are saying I am a very healthy eater, so that probably helps maintain my hourglass.

LisaSmuts

New in Town
Marilyn Monroe was a pretty hard hourglass, believe it or not. That girl lifted weights and ran regularly - she just didn't have as little body fat as the Jillian Michaels types we might be used to seeing. Say 20-25% rather than 15%. There was good hard muscle under a medium level of padding - healthy and "womanly"

Working out the right way can really accentuate an hourglass figure - if you build up your lats and glutes and avoid working your obliques you can sculpt a more feminine shape. It's certainly working for me. AT LAST.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ