Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

World War II history buff dies

Hondo

One Too Many
During my lunch today I opened the S.F. Chronicle newspaper, I'm always interested of those who served and lead an interesting life, and found this in the obituaries section, this is not just "news" but WWII related, I hope its alright to post here, there are times I wish I had done more research on people like Lt. Col. Hudson, for they lead a far better life.
God Bless lt. Col. Denis Saxon Hudson, Rest in Peace Sir :cry:

Retired Lt. Col. Denis Saxon Hudson, a longtime military officer whose love of World War II history inspired him to lead a D-Day tour of England and France, has died. He was 71.

Lt. Col. Hudson, a resident of Hillsborough and San Francisco for many years, died June 20 in Walnut Creek, where he had been living since January.
accepted at UC Berkeley, where he earned his undergraduate degree in 1956
He was born in 1934 in Shanghai and he and his family spent four years interned at a Japanese prisoner of war camp. He was liberated in 1945 and during his teenage years attended a boarding school in England. He was .

In 1958, he met his future wife Patricia, who worked on a military base in Lisbon, Portugal. They were married for 35 years, and raised their children in Hillsborough, before divorcing. Their youngest son, Leonard, died serving in the Vietnam War. Lt. Col. Hudson moved to San Francisco in 1990.

He served nearly 40 years with the U. S. Air Force in active and reserve status as a pilot, intelligence officer and historian.

In 1964, he flew a mission to Congo to help rescue Belgian settlers during an insurgency in the first republic. In 1981, he was awarded the Air Force Commendation Medal.

In 1994, his love of history led him to organize a trip of 50 people, many of them military veterans, through a World War II tour of England and Normandy, and the scene of the famed Battle of the Bulge.

He was active in various organizations, including The Fort Point Presidio Historical Association, the British American Chamber of Commerce, the San Francisco-Shanghai Sister City Committee and the World Affairs Council.

Lt. Col. Hudson is survived by his fiancee, Mary Miick of Pleasanton; his daughters, Marian of Redwood City and Denise of Los Angeles; and three grandchildren.

A memorial service has been held, followed by a military burial at Golden Gate National Cemetery in San Bruno.

The family asks that any memorial donations be sent to the Fort Point Presidio Historical Association.

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2006/07/17/BAGOLK0C3P1.DTL

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy