Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Would you help ID this Cafe Racer which is not a Buco J 100 ?

RapidReaper

Familiar Face
6.jpg
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
View attachment 43380

So I picked up this mystery jacket the other day. There's so many things that intrigue me about it. All zippers appear replaced (Conmars and Talons), the arm panels to which the zippers are attached are cowhide it seems. That Patch next to the right arm zipper - was it a pocket at one point? The lining has been replaced throughout the jacket. There are no markings on the collar button. Any ideas?

technovox

One Too Many
I suspect that what you found is a Harley Davidson Sportster "One Pocket" cafe racer. I'm basing it on the plain "no-action" back, the Diamond pull on the chest pocket (looks original), and the Conmar zip (the Talon was probably a replacement- these originally came with either Conmar or Scoville zips on sleeves.) Both of the ones I own have nickel Conmar for the main zips.
Some of the earlier ones with the white "Worksmanship" label were often thought to be horsehide, although none of the jackets I've ever found were labeled as to the type of leather. But whether it's horsehide or cowhide, these earlier Sporsters can develop some of the most beautiful grainy leather and character.
Great score!

Last edited:

RapidReaper

Familiar Face
I suspect that what you found is a Harley Davidson Sportster "One Pocket" cafe racer. I'm basing it on the plain "no-action" back, the Diamond pull on the chest pocket (looks original), and the Conmar zip (the Talon was probably a replacement- these originally came with either Conmar or Scoville zips on sleeves.) Typically I've found them to have a nickel Conmar main zip.
Some of the earlier ones with the white "Worksmanship" label were often thought to be horsehide, although none of the jackets I've ever found were labeled as to the type of leather. But whether it's horsehide or cowhide, these earlier Sporsters can develop some of the most beautiful grainy leather and character. Great score!
Awesome technovox thanks!

technovox

One Too Many
BTW - Another indicator of the age is the chest pocket chain pull. The later AMF versions usually have a ring pull on the chest pocket instead of the diamond pull. Personally I don't find the AMF versions as desirable or well made, IMHO.
But, based on the diamond pull on yours, it looks like you might have found one of the rarer earlier ones!

RapidReaper

Familiar Face
I'm crosschecking the Best of Vintage (wearekoalas) site and you're right, the example they have is identical. There's another on ebay now for $725, in much better condition of course. This is a keeper I think. Cheers!

technovox

One Too Many
I'm crosschecking the Best of Vintage (wearekoalas) site and you're right, the example they have is identical. There's another on ebay now for $725, in much better condition of course. This is a keeper I think. Cheers!
Over the years, I've had my hands on about 8 or 9 of them, in various versions, conditions and sizes. And I love the design of these Harley One Pockets, and especially the leather on the earlier ones. One of my all time favorite style of the cafe racers I've owned. I finally managed to end up with a couple of earlier ones that are my size. I've found that size 44 is especially hard to find. Definitely a keeper if it fits you. Enjoy!

I agree with technovox - my money on it being a H-D leather shirt, too. It's beautiful! These always go for a lot of $ but I agree you should keep it. You won't find something like that any time soon. The patch next to the zipper is simply a repair, there was probably a tear in the leather or something but in any case, IMO it just adds even more character to it - if that's even possible.

RapidReaper

Familiar Face
It needs some work- both armpits need re-stitching and one arm too. It's well worn. Easy enough to repair but I'm not the guy to do it. If anyone is interested in making an offer I can take measurements...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner