Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Would you ladies wear these shoos?

Joie DeVive

One Too Many
No, I don't wear shoos, only shoes.... ;)

Actually, the C&J penny loafers aren't half bad, and if I were still in the classroom, the 2 tone Vass might be something I would look at.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I wear Sensible Oxfords maybe 90 percent of the time, but they don't look quite as brawny as these. The big difference is the heel --- that big full-width heel is very masculine-looking, and that makes the whole shoe look that way. Put a smaller, slightly higher heel on some of these and you'd have a pretty good everyday shoe.

ShoreRoadLady

Practically Family
No. Too clunky to be feminine (though for masculine shoes, they're decently streamlined). The heels are wide and broad, the sole extends beyond the shoe itself, and the style gives the effect of a straight and boxy foot, instead of a small and shapely one. The only possibility might be the Naseby, *if* I wore that type of shoe; it's not my preferred style. One of the boots could be OK, if I were being purely practical.

Vintage Betty

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I'd consider the Barnwell, depending on the heel. And more specifically, I would buy it if it had a Louis heel to show off the boot.

The problems I see are multifold:
1) The flats shown are typically worn by older, more traditional women. I don't see any feminine colors or heels in there to bring in the younger women you are asking here on the Lounge.
2) The boots and full-on shoes are styled exactly like men's shoes, just smaller. I, like other ladies mentioned, would prefer a different heel and toe. Choices of more feminine colors or tooled leather too; currently punch out patterns in leather before assembling would bring in a more feminine look.
3) I actually have two identical pairs to your Vass oxford (2nd one down in the vertical grouping). They are pink and white suede, and green and white suede. Due to the exact same toe finish as your shoe, they make me look short and fat when I wear pants. So, though they are great shoes and I've had them for over 20 years, I think I've worn them less than a dozen times each pair.

I might also mention that your shoe insert didn't work for me either; I'd like to see a more feminine shoe insert in the shoe itself. It seemed a clunky way of showing off a ladies shoe.

Vintage Betty

Lovely Leah

Familiar Face
No way would I wear them!

Due to an orthopedic condition, I wear what Lizzie Maine calls "Sensible Oxfords" and must wear them 100% of the time. The shoes I wear are appropriate with dresses or suits, either contemporary or vintage. Some people may consider my shoes matronly, but they are unmistakeably feminine. The shoes at the top of the thread, in my opinion, are too masculine for skirts or dresses.

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
The only ones I'd consider wearing are the "Naseby" and the "Jodhpur", as a matter of fact I own a pair of ankle boots that look exactly like the "Jodhpur", in winter, I often wear them with jeans.

Many stars of the 1930s , like Greta Garbo, used to favor that type of shoe for casual wear sometimes. [huh]
2992533606_3ee6b8dab2.jpg

Laura Chase

One Too Many
I have shoes that look a lot like men's shoes, but the heel is always a bit smaller, more feminine, exactly like LizzieMaine said! Here's the pair I have that are most like men's shoes, but still with a feminine heel (although I would prefer a more shaped heel, in stead of a square block like these):

3230201384_ab60af1d88.jpg

3229351001_9aa0cdf3a2.jpg

I do really miss a pair of good boots without too much nonsense, something like the Barnwell model, just plain good quality leather, with laces, no zipper, a nice comfortable heel.

Esme

One of the Regulars
I have a seriously bad back (spinal stenosis) and I do not wear heels at all anymore, but I don't care for most of those. The Nasby isn't all that bad, but a different heel would certainly improve it. I agree with what most of the ladies here have said.
I WOULD WEAR those Doc Marten wingtips, those are hot and I know Docs are ever so comfortable.

La Julia

One of the Regulars
Laura Chase said:
I have shoes that look a lot like men's shoes, but the heel is always a bit smaller, more feminine, exactly like LizzieMaine said! Here's the pair I have that are most like men's shoes, but still with a feminine heel (although I would prefer a more shaped heel, in stead of a square block like these):

3230201384_ab60af1d88.jpg

3229351001_9aa0cdf3a2.jpg

I do really miss a pair of good boots without too much nonsense, something like the Barnwell model, just plain good quality leather, with laces, no zipper, a nice comfortable heel.

I like those

just_me

Practically Family
Laura Chase said:

Check out paddock boots on any tack store website (for example, doversaddlery.com). They're pretty common among riders.

The Shooman

Practically Family
just_me said:
I'd definitely wear the jodhpur, gresham, barnwell, and the two-toned Vass shoe. I never wear dresses, so all of those shoes would go well with pants.

Vass-femalecaptoe.jpg

Yes, l think that shoo would go really nice with an appropiate dress or a pair of trousers, it looks really smart and classic. My grandmother used to wear high fronted shoos too.

Brooksie

One Too Many
Opinion from another girly girl here - would not wear any of them but you are talking to woman here who has three older brothers and had to wear some of their hand me downs when I was a child. I think because of this I am traumatized (half joking here) and really can not stand masculine clothing on myself.

Brooksie

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails