Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Would you ladies wear these shoos?

scarlett

One of the Regulars
I run the risk of sounding b***y, but why all this talk about men's shoes in the Powder Room? And no, I would never wear those shoes that started this thread.

Odalisque

A-List Customer
scarlett said:
I run the risk of sounding b***y, but why all this talk about men's shoes in the Powder Room? And no, I would never wear those shoes that started this thread.

I think that the actual shoes that started this thread are women's. Just more masculine than most ladies here would like.

I think the poor guy got his answer en masse.

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
OMG the hatred towards that shoe! :eek: lol lol lol and so many actresses during the 1930s wore them you wouldn't believe it! Bette Davis, Carole Lombard, and the list goes on.... hey ,it was just another shoe in your closet! [huh]

philadelphiastory4.jpg
Katherine Hepburn

balgal

New in Town
I'd say beauty does hurts. Once in a while I wear foam rollers to get my hair all curly. And I wear a corset when the occasion calls for it!

But we are women we suffer to be beautiful. Or in my case I go through pain to be beautiful!!!

I would not wear those shoes either! They look to uncomfortable to wear!!

MissAmelina

A-List Customer
Fletch said:
What's so "beautiful" about pointy elf shoes?

Most of the degrading things women do to their bodies are in the name of fashion, not beauty.

I concur...the last time I wore pointed shoes was in the 80s...when I was emulating "Ducky" from "Pretty In Pink".....And then I busted out the heels all thru the late 80s and 90s....and you know what? I have huge bunions under both my big toes from squeezing my poor feet into bad-for-you shoes for 15 years. Even if they were comfy at the time.

Don't get me wrong....I looked fantastic, but now that I am older I realize it ain't worth the price. I can't wear heels without being in serious, serious pain the next day.
If you can find something with a lower heel that still makes you feel gorgeous, wear those. Take it from me. Jees...am I an old lady at 35??? :eusa_doh:

I think Hepburn looks FANTASTIC in those flat boy's shoes, BTW...hot hot hot.

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
Fletch said:

I LOVE pointy toed shoes with all my shoe-loving heart! Here's why, I have very wide, very short feet, size 5 WW. Long, pointy toed shoes make me look like my feet actually match my body. I won't wear shoes with rounded toes because they make my feet look even more short and wide.

Barbigirl

Practically Family
just_me said:
Ah, but some of us don't feel like we have to be in pain to look good. :)

The phrase Beauty Hurts doesn't have to be just what you are wearing. I remember my mom french braiding my hair tightly so they stayed in well that made me cringe while the braids were going in. Getting the tangles combed out of your hair. When my girls were little I would tell them long hair = beauty hurts or you are getting a really short bob.

I spent 3.5 hours at the salon Saturday and while it didn't hurt I did get uncomfortable and impatient.

Sunny

One Too Many
But those shoes are not women's-style shoes. Flat-heeled shoes for women do not equal masculine style. The shoes at the beginning of the thread are completely masculine style, simply sized for women. The ones they actually wore were very different, most unmistakably feminine.

HadleyH said:
OMG the hatred towards that shoe! :eek: lol lol lol and so many actresses during the 1930s wore them you wouldn't believe it! Bette Davis, Carole Lombard, and the list goes on.... hey ,it was just another shoe in your closet! [huh]

philadelphiastory4.jpg
Katherine Hepburn

VintageVixie

kamikat said:
I LOVE pointy toed shoes with all my shoe-loving heart! Here's why, I have very wide, very short feet, size 5 WW. Long, pointy toed shoes make me look like my feet actually match my body. I won't wear shoes with rounded toes because they make my feet look even more short and wide.

I love pointy shoes too, but I'm a fairly narrow size 6. Pointy shoes never caused me any problems, and I find them more comfortable than round toes, but that might be because I wore them for so many years. I'm trying to get used to rounder toes, but I end up sore little piggies. I do however like that round toes make my feet look even smaller... which is so silly, but it's the truth!

But it helps that my saddle shoes have a rather larger toe area, they're not entirely traditional, and so I have lots of wiggle room. I just have to tie them tightly or they don't wear right.

Vintage Betty

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Fletch said:

Most of the degrading things women do to their bodies are in the name of fashion, not beauty.

I think you are lumping all brands and makes of shoes into one category. I own two pairs of pointy shoes and they are incredibly comfortable. One is pointy toed boots (think Wicked Witch of the West) which are absolutely cheap with no support and soft soft soft leather, flat heels.

The other pair is Stuart Weitzman dress shoes and I use them for my all-pupose shoes, including wearing standing in trade show booths for many hours at a time.

Both are comfortable, for different reasons and different price points. The beauty label comes after comfort in my shoe wardrobe.

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
Sunny said:
But those shoes are not women's-style shoes. Flat-heeled shoes for women do not equal masculine style. The shoes at the beginning of the thread are completely masculine style, simply sized for women. The ones they actually wore were very different, most unmistakably feminine.

If you go to the op, and scroll down to women's Vass, the third shoe, the black one, seems to me almost exactly like the shoe Hepburn is wearing. We need a close-up of Katherine's shoe ;) :)

Sunny

One Too Many
HadleyH said:
If you go to the op, and scroll down to women's Vass, the third shoe, the black one, seems to me almost exactly like the shoe Hepburn is wearing. We need a close-up of Katherine's shoe ;) :)
I think I see what you mean, but it's really too small and obscured to tell! I've been collecting pictures of women's oxfords and there's always something about the shape of the toe, the height and shape of the vamp, and particularly the height and shape of the heel that sets them apart from men's shoes. I would love to see a close-up. Surely there's a big high-res somewhere out there!

Vintage Betty

Sunny said:
I think I see what you mean, but it's really too small and obscured to tell! I've been collecting pictures of women's oxfords and there's always something about the shape of the toe, the height and shape of the vamp, and particularly the height and shape of the heel that sets them apart from men's shoes. I would love to see a close-up. Surely there's a big high-res somewhere out there!

What year is the photo? I could just check my catalogs and scan in images. ;)

Miss 1929

The Shooman said:
lol . When you wear heals, don't your little toes get all crushed in the ends of the shoos, especially with pointed toes?

"Glamour and Agony are spelled with several of the same letters." - Mark Jones

Miss 1929

kamikat said:
Our feet were separated at birth. 6.5 EEE!

Lareesie Ladavi

One of the Regulars
Vintage Betty said:
I think you are lumping all brands and makes of shoes into one category. I own two pairs of pointy shoes and they are incredibly comfortable. One is pointy toed boots (think Wicked Witch of the West) which are absolutely cheap with no support and soft soft soft leather, flat heels.

The other pair is Stuart Weitzman dress shoes and I use them for my all-pupose shoes, including wearing standing in trade show booths for many hours at a time.

Both are comfortable, for different reasons and different price points. The beauty label comes after comfort in my shoe wardrobe.

Right on, sister....I have just started collecting some pointies again....
Makes me miss my skull buckle/patent leather witch boots (alah edward scissor hands). ;)

I'm soo glad chunky heels are comming back...omg I'm in heaven! :p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCRider