Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Would you marry Don Draper?

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Was watching mad men and got to thinking. There is no denying that many women find Don Draper attractive. firstly, I am sure the ladies around here appreciate the well dressed classic style. Secondly, he is obviously a good looking guy. And thirdly, he has a manly attitude that I am sure women find irresistable.

But then i got to thinking about how taciturn and non communicative he is. And I wondered how many of you modern women would actually like to be married to a man like him.

then, of course, there is the philandering. But maybe set that aside. That is an easy objection. But I am more curious about his actual personality. So, let's assume he is faithful.

As sexy as the manly attitude is, do modern women really want a guy like that?

Helysoune

One of the Regulars
Married to a philandering cur like that? Absolutely not. My mister has most of the qualities I have always wanted: Funny, sensible, Catholic, family-oriented, understanding, quirky, protective and tough yet sensitive. I'll happily continue enjoying him and let someone else have the cheating rats.

Wire9Vintage

A-List Customer
Oh, but isn't Don that bad boy with the deep wounds that so many women think they can nurse/mother into being a good boy for them?

Of course, I like to think I'd be more like Peggy (sans icky Pete!!) and have a mutual admiration thing with Don. Or like Joan's relationship with Don. I think that's why the character is so dang fascinating, there are so many levels there. But as for marrying him... well, it depends on what you want in life, doesn't it?

I would want more emotionally than a Don Draper could offer. But I'd like to work for/with him! Of course... that didn't work out so well for poor Sal, did it?

How much longer till season 4????

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
reetpleat said:
then, of course, there is the philandering. But maybe set that aside.
That's pretty hard to do. Kinda like.... what do you think of Hitler....if he wasn't a Nazi.

Mr Vim

One Too Many
The problem with the character, is that he barely is a character. He has faults that are all too real... in that Draper actually represents the shows theme...

Let us show you the glamorous early 60's (how everyone sees Draper on the surface) and now lets peel away the glamor (Draper's true emotions and actions)

Its really an interesting thing what they did,

I cannot wait to see what he does in the fourth season.

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
LizzieMaine said:
If we're considering sixties ad men, Darrin Stevens is twice the man Don is.

Hear hear.

Of course, considering he was played by two actors, you are quite right literally as well.

And both ad men too.

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Tomasso said:
That's pretty hard to do. Kinda like.... what do you think of Hitler....if he wasn't a Nazi.

Or, what do you think of Hitler besides the Jewish thing. His methods were pretty bad, but his aim of expanding empire would not have been so unusual thirty years prior. Of course, all empires villified the other empires every time they tried to expand, but they all did it. Now his aim of exterminating a lot of people, frowned upon in most quarters.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner