Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wow, someone REALLY wanted this Stetson!

Canadave

One Too Many
I'm not sure I'd agree with that. I'd have to see the hat first. You're right in that they are VERY few and far between on eBay, but it still seems a bit steep to me.

David

Razzman

One Too Many
I have to agree with BK. That Stetson OR in that size is a bargain at $100.
You rarely see a hat of that size up for auction.

Snrbfshn

A-List Customer
I agree, too...

Finding any vintage OR in 7 7/8 is rare, and this one looks to be in very good shape. You can tell it was never/hardly ever worn because the original paper price tag ($22.50) on the sweatband is unsullied:
click_enlarge1.php

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Razzman said:
I have to agree with BK. That Stetson OR in that size is a bargain at $100.
You rarely see a hat of that size up for auction.

Pre Fedora Lounge, they were cheap as paper towels. We drive the market. :)

Bud-n-Texas

Practically Family
scotrace said:
Pre Fedora Lounge, they were cheap as paper towels. We drive the market. :)

Scot I do not know if all the blame for price increases can be attributed to the lounge, but you are correct to some extent. The horse is now out of the barn, so we must all cope with the current prices.

Canadave

One Too Many
The 7 7/8 Stetson Open Road (5X) that I bought on eBay in November 2004 sold for 29.88. It may have been a little newer, but it is in great shape.

David

Tony in Tarzana

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Bud-n-Texas said:
Scot I do not know if all the blame for price increases can be attributed to the lounge, but you are correct to some extent. The horse is now out of the barn, so we must all cope with the current prices.

And those higher prices may pry a few really nice lids out of the woodwork. :)

Or keep them out of a dumpster. :eek:

Mr. 'H'

Call Me a Cab
I looked at that listing and I thought the condition was excellent.

However, I was put off because I thinks it's from the 60s (price, box, sweat color).

Please, correct me if I am wrong.

Canadave

One Too Many
Canadave said:
The 7 7/8 Stetson Open Road (5X) that I bought on eBay in November 2004 sold for 29.88. It may have been a little newer, but it is in great shape.

David

I should clarify. I BOUGHT the hat on eBay for 29.88 in 2004...this wasn't the original selling price.

David

Bud-n-Texas

Practically Family
Dave, you are right, I think we all know that the prices have jumped. What remains to be seen is IF they maintain their value. There is a big vintage boom going on now, how long it will last is anyones guess. Hat should be enjoyed for what they are, period. I do not buy hats for an anticipated return, but to wear. One looking for an investment should look elsewhere for a better chance at a high return on their money. JMHO

DOUGLAS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I remember ten or twenty years ago I could get a really beautiful hat at a flea market or antique store for as little as 10 dollars. There seemed to be more hats in good condition then. I see hats now go for 75 to 100 dollars at the markets now and there are not so many. I don't think it is just a boom that is spiking prices. More people are wearing hats and and those who sell them know that.
You can still get good deals on line though, my last Stetson was less than 40.00 and it is in perfect condition.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran