Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wrangler Cowboy Cut Relaxed (and Original) Fit Jeans

• Thread starter Deleted member 16736
  • Start date

Renault

One Too Many
Suppose I've been wearing 13MWZ's for 30 years. Wally World everyday price is like $19.95. Wash and hang dry. I've noticed lately the bottoms wear out in em quicker! Wouldn't be because I am setting to much at my workbench!! ;)

andy b.

One of the Regulars
Yup, I also like the 13MWZ jeans. They are close to 14oz denim, which is about the heaviest you can buy short of going for the heavy raw denims. I figured all the Loungers would be wearing these because of the higher rise. :D I don't notice the blueberry color. After several washes they look like regular old jeans.

On another note, they are broken twill so the legs don't twist, and they have a smoother texture than the usual jeans you find.

The 13MWZ is the only jeans I'll buy other than raw denim.

Last edited:
Update...checked the website today and Academy sports and outdoors had the original 13mwz on sale for $14.99. I think it said orders over $39 shipped free.

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

D

Deleted member 16736

I received a reply today from Wranglers. It read in part:

"Thank you for taking the time to write and for your interest in Wrangler.

The front rise in the Original fit size 36 waist is 12 5/8 for a 29" inseam, 12 7/8 for a 30-31" inseam, 13 1/8 for 32-33" inseam, 13 3/8 for a 34" inseam and 13 5/8 for 36-40" inseam."

So the original fit jean has a long front rise. If you buy the longest inseam and cuff them, you'll have a 13 5/8" front rise. I'll be buying a pair soon. BTW, I'm not sure Academy sells the rigid version of the original jean for that discounted price.

In the store, the rigid version is the lowest priced option. Don't know about online, but assume it would be the same.

Wranglers have long been the go-to jeans for anyone who rides horseback regularly, because of the taped seams, specifically made to reduce friction and saddle sores. They also seemed to last longer than my Levi's, so Wranglers are all I have as far as jeans. Can't really tell if the modern ones are as well made as my oldies. Frank

:arated: I get the 13MWZPW prewashed indigo. I typically pay about $24.99 & find the odd waist size = 37.
Lots of places have even sizes 32, 34, 36, 38 but some have 33, 35, 37....
I turn them inside out, wash in cold, tumble dry low...they last & last even with riding & ranch work.
They are fairly true to size to me.

Supply and demand I guess. They're gougin' you Texans cuz they know you like 'em. Last pair I got down here were $19.99, regular - not sale price.

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Does anyone know if the waist sizes are similar to Levi's or "mall" jeans? The reason I ask is because the last pair I got were from Gustin, and with them you have to measure your real size as opposed to what they call "vanity" sizing. When I measured an old pair of jeans, I was surprised to see that I was actually a couple of inches larger than the sizes indicated of the ones I've been buying. How is Cabella's with returns?

I wear the same size in Wrangler as I do in Levis. The 13MWZ fit a little snugger than 501 or 505 Levis do.

Just a little history - Wrangler jeans were first made in 1947 by Blue Bell manufacturing. They were a collaboration with Rodeo Ben, of Philadelphia, one of the first big names in fancy western tailoring (think Nudie or Manuel). It was in the post war years that blue jeans began to rise in popularity, with the "big 3" being Levis, Wrangler, and Lee. The 13MWZ designation stands for the 13th pattern developed, men's with zipper. In the late 40s the 11MWZ was also marketed.
While not to the level as vintage Levis, the old blue bell wranglers are still sought after by vintage collectors.

A book called "How the West Was Worn" by Holly George-Warren and Michelle Freedman is worth checking out if you can find a copy.

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
A book called "How the West Was Worn" by Holly George-Warren and Michelle Freedman is worth checking out if you can find a copy.
I'll search for it. Hope it will not be as heavy as "The Winchester Book"... got a copy for $50 and it costed me more $50 to ship it from USA to Portugal :S $100 for a book... I was not thinking strait that time.

I wear both, but the Levis definitely always look like a family of gypsies just moved out of the seat.
The Wranglers are cut a little closer in the legs (as are Lee I'm told, but I've never had a pair) and I prefer them with western boots. The Levis seem too big and floppy in the legs with cowboy boots. They are fine with lace up boots or Chuck Taylors. I usually wear a style of shirt that doesn't need tucking (like a hawaiian or bowling shirt) with Levis, that way the shirt tail kind of camouflages the abandoned camp look in back.

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
Wranglers have more "crotch room" according to the labels on the ones I have purchased for Daniel over the years. You cannot beat them for the money...

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Thank to this discussion I've sourced a non optical brightening make of laundry detergent and have now washed my Wranglers. Slightly less intensely blue but they are still a kind of blueberry hue. So much bluer than any jeans I've ever owned but maybe I just need to forget that part and enjoy the quality. Heck, at my age why should I care what shade they are? Can't argue with the value? Does anyone know if the black ones fade quickly?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner