Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Writing / logos on clothing.

Pinhead

One of the Regulars
Those other threads piqued my curiosity.

I refuse to wear clothing with visible tags or logos. ESPECIALLY writing or graphics. If the tag or label can be removed, I will. Otherwise, it will be worn as an undergarment. I have become adept with a seam picker and will laboriously use it.

Am I in a tiny, tiny minority here?

Edward

Bartender
I think of myself as somebody who doesn't like logos, though I spent my teens and twenties in a lot of band t-shirts. My Barbour international has a logo patch on it which has never bothered me enough to think about removing. Various of my flight jackets have USAF or AAF roundels on them, or squadron artwork. Does that count? I'm not American, to me they're just art, so I suppose maybe it's not that different than someone buying a t-shirt with a brand logo they like for whatever reason. Otherwise, yes, given the choice of two identical garments, I'd go logo-free every time. I often wodner why someone woud pay the big money for a very ordinary hoody / t-shirt / w.h.y. with a big logo on it, but I suppose it's about acceptance, fitting in. If that's what is the fashionable thing in your tribe... Often I think there's an element if insecurity to it: this shirt must be acceptable, because it has that logo. This is a good logo, therefore it's a good shirt, and looks good on me. That kind of thinking. Or non-thinking...

In short, though, I tyruly doubt you are alone in these parts!

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
You're probably in the majority around here. Personally, I put up with some logos on athletic wear but all else is as clean as possible.

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
Yep. I’m sure I wear logos all the time and usually don't even know I'm doing it. I wore a knit shirt to work the other day and noticed, for the first time, that had "Cabalas" embroidered on the sleeve. I've been wearing that shirt for over a year and never knew it had a visible logo. I’m wearing Dockers right now and I’m sure there's a little Dockers logo on the pocket. My tennis shoes have a “Converse” logo on the side.

Its not that I like to wear stuff emblazoned with logos. I’m actually logo indifferent. I buy stuff I like and if it has a logo, so be it. As long as the logo doesn’t interfere with the functioning of what I’ve bought I could care less if the logo is there or not.

AF

Nigel

One of the Regulars
I don't tend to display logos, at least not because they are the must have logo. My Carhartt gear has their logo on but it is small and Carhartt is my go to workwear and I choose it because it is the best workwear for me and the cattle don't really care what I wear as long as I do my job. Other that that I don't think any of my other clothing has logos.

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
Interesting thread. My initial reaction was “no, I hate logos!” But I realized that’s not true. While I did just remove the Carhartt logo from my dad’s old Ike jacket, I was considering stitching an aircraft- or automotive-related patch in that spot if the shadow in the fading doesn’t disappear after laundering.

Further, I’ve stitched vintage Ford, Chevrolet, and Pontiac badges to otherwise plain baseball caps in the past. And I have a real weakness for vintage advertising logos on t-shirts.

What does bug me are prominent logos on business wear. I find them crass and unprofessional.

So I guess the answer is that I’m very picky about my logos.

Missouri Mason

Familiar Face
Most of what I wear has at least a small logo, somewhere. I rarely wear suits, but I make good use of polo shirts/button downs and either jeans or slacks. Virtually all polos have logos, same with jeans. If manufacturers offered no logo shirts and pants that are otherwise identical, I would buy them.

Bruce Wayne

My Mail is Forwarded Here
anything bigger than the small Levis red tag on a shirt pocket is a no no for me luckily the leather waistband tag on jeans in handily covered by a nice wide jeans belt!

Same here. Back I school I was made fune of for anything & everything. It got to a point around 7th grade that I didn't wear anything on it. Just a plain shirt & jeans. No name tag, no emblem, nothing.

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
The only outside writing/logo/emblems on my clothes are on buttons or zippers.

Regarding garments with stitched brands or logos... some like the clothes and have to put up with these small logos. Big deal. I don't see an issue with that.
It's something different if someone wears certain clothes primarily or exclusively because of some logo or attaches significance to it. It's tacky and ridiculous.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I don't like logos where they don't belong, like on a sweater or a dress shirt for instance. No polo ponies for me.

However, logos on a polo shirt don't bother me. A crocodile here or there or even a polo pony wouldn't bother me there.

So, on casual clothes it's ok, but on more formal items, forget about it.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
He's probably off doing some high level growling under a bridge somewhere. :D As far as logos go, only if it's subtle and small, and perhaps done with a bit of humour - Westwood for instance - it's fine with me. Ede and Ravenscroft have a fine way of doing labels on their made to measure stuff: they stitch them to the inside of the inside pocket, so you have to literally turn it inside out to even get a look at it. Now that's subtle!

Pinhead

One of the Regulars
I've never considered buttons and snaps. They don't seem to bother me at all.

I'm not sure how my affliction started, but it has been around for a long time. Thirty years ago, I was the only guy out of millions to ride a Harley while wearing a plain white t-shirt. I think it came from the "No, YOU pay ME to advertise your stuff" camp.

And, I was caught in a lie. I do have an M-51 field jacket with the US ARMY patch and an arm patch on it. I would have removed the patch if it were a hard-earned fighting badge, but it signifies an administrative assistant (which is probably why my jacket is in mint condition).

And I do have many hockey sweaters from teams I played with. I don't wear professional sports jerseys because I'm NOT ON THE TEAM(!).

Yeah, I'm a bit weird.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I grew up in a family where all the men wore green uniforms with a Texaco insignia over the left shirt pocket (except my father, who wore a jacket with "Cushman Baking Company" stitched on the back). So when I see an insignia worn on clothing today, my first instinctive thought is that it denotes a worker engaged in selling a product.

I can't understand the mentality of wearing workers' clothes ironically, such as some underweight kid named Ethyn walking around in a too-big work jacket with "Biff" over the pocket. Wow, that's original. But my cousin Biff is wondering where you got his jacket.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner