Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

WTB: Dark blue SB suit 38R (preferably 1950s)

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
I'm looking for a continental style suit to complete my suit collection. I'd prefer something in plain blue or with a very subtle pattern so that it looks nice and understated.

I wear a 31" waist with a 32" inside leg (I don't mind losing cuffs if it's necessary for the extra length).

Last edited:

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
Thanks. 38R as it says in the title. I'm hoping this won't be too difficult to find. There are at least two or three suits which fit my criteria on US ebay but they're too close to $200 for my liking.

repeatclicks

Practically Family
$200 is nothing for a suit, especially since you live in the UK. Even with shipping ($35 for a suit), at the current exchange rate, you're getting a superb quality suit that is very hard to find these days (think of how often a plain blue suit would have been worn in the 50s. Every, single, day).

The cost to you would be £150. Not being funny, but you can't even go into M&S and get a half decent off the rack suit for that. :eusa_doh:

The 1950s suits in my wardrobe cost anywhere from $100- 200, and while I have had some great bargains, sometimes its just worth shelling out the extra bit so you can have it.

repeatclicks

Practically Family
P.S. - It took me 2 years before I found a blue 50s suit in my size! And I was really looking too...

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
$200 is nothing for a suit, especially since you live in the UK. Even with shipping ($35 for a suit), at the current exchange rate, you're getting a superb quality suit that is very hard to find these days (think of how often a plain blue suit would have been worn in the 50s. Every, single, day).

The cost to you would be £150. Not being funny, but you can't even go into M&S and get a half decent off the rack suit for that. :eusa_doh:

The 1950s suits in my wardrobe cost anywhere from $100- 200, and while I have had some great bargains, sometimes its just worth shelling out the extra bit so you can have it.

Given that there are 50s suits on US ebay right now in my size (but not the colour I'm looking for) with a buy it now price of less than $100 I find $200 a little bit much. For a rare 30s three piece double breasted suit with a belted back I'd understand that $200 would be quite cheap, but for a simple 50s two piece in a fairly regular size which is not particularly rare or sought after I find $200 too much.

Of course compared to modern off the rack suits that is a good price, but I don't compare any of my vintage suits to modern ones on price because it would cost me several thousand pounds to buy modern suits of the same quality as my vintage ones. At the same time I live on a tight budget and I don't really need a blue 50s suit (I just want it to replace a modern blue two piece I have), so I don't want to pay more than £100 (including shipping).

I was just hoping someone on here might have such a suit that they're willing to sell. I know thunderw21 had one a couple of months ago but his had too much black in it for my liking.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn