Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

WTB: Hat Brim Trimmer

Edward

Bartender
So, I'm looking for a hat brim trimmer in order to sort out a Fed III I've not been able to wear for a long time, amongst other projects. Been looking for something like this:

brimcutter.jpg

No luck finding anything in the UK. I did try ordering from Hawkeye Tack, but keep coming up against the same problem - their website won't let me proceed without selecting a shipping method, but it also won't offer me anything to select on that front. Tried emailling them, but never got a reply. Does anyone have something along these lines for sale? I'm not looking to spend a fortune (most of the other options I can find online are really aimed at hat makers and cost more than a new hat...), but I was happy to spend what this cost. Size-wise, I'd be grand with anything that will take off between an eighth of an inch and half an inch.

Hoping someone can help here, I'm sick of not being able to wear that hat....!

mattface

Practically Family
What about a single edge razor blade, and an edge guide fashioned from wire?run the wire through the hole in the blade, then wrap around so it holds the blade, then just bend the wire down at a 90º angle at the specified length, then just run the wire around the edge of the brim as you cut? I'm hinking that should work pretty well for the cost of a razor blade and a paper clip.

Joeffrey Herra

New in Town
I had the same problem couple months ago i need just to trim off a 1/8 of an inch couldn't find a cutter and wasn't willing to pay over 50$. I took my lid to a hat store and did it for 7$. If you only need one hat trimmed down, they can do it for you at Haberdashery /millinery store there's more of those out in in the UK than in California.

Memo

Familiar Face
What hat store did you go to Joeffrey? I have a hat that needs a brim trim.
Thanks,
Memo

Corky

Practically Family
You don't need a Hat Brim Trimmer

You don't need a hat brim trimmer to make the cut you desire. Just a compass, some tape, a big, sharp scissors, a big flat surface or tabletop, some medium sandpaper, and a steady hand.

Get a an adjustable compass (with pencil) and a fairly large sharp scissors (I prefer a Fiskars) at any stationery store.

NOTE: You might want to practice on an old cowboy hat with an over-sized brim, or that old beater up in the top of your closet that you haven't worn in years. If you're practicing on a cowboy hat with say a 4 and a half inch brim, try taking a quarter inch off the edge of the brim at a time. By the time you have cut the brim down to three or three and a half inches, you will be completely confident in your new skill.

You can set the compass to the width of the brim that you want to end up with. Then use plenty of tape to hold the compass' legs in position so that they don't slip and screw up your measurement when you are rotating the hat. Then hold the compass to trace a specific distance from the bottom of the hatband and rotate the hat. Sometimes it helps to have an assistant to rotate the hat while you keep the compass steady to insure an even cut.

You can alternatively put the compass on the outer edge of the brim and rotate the hat to mark off the part of the outer edge which you want to remove. Take your time and be sure you have the pencil line exactly where you want the cut to be.

Then take the big scissors and cut down the center of the pencil line. Take your time and don't rush.

When the cut is finished, smooth off the cut edge with some medium sandpaper. Be careful to do this step outdoors and DON'T INHALE THE DUST!

I have trimmed the brims on half a dozen hats using these methods with great results each time.

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
Thank,s folks. I'd be prepared to tackle it myself if I could find a decent deal on a specific tool, but I'm not prepared to trust my own eye / hand any other way. I'll have a look into some hat shops in London, though, that's an idea... providing they give me the offcut back.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy