Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wuthering Heights (2009)

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
I caught the first part of this new adaptation and I wondered if anyone else was watching?

I think the leads are too old but Charlotte Riley looks exactly the way I'd pictured Catherine and though I go back and forth on Tom Hardy overall I'd say he's very good. I love the score, the setting and how they've preserved the darkness of the original story; the characters really are twisted and horrible to each other and it's nice to see that unvarnished instead of romanticized for a change. In fact, I was really rather depressed at the end of part one. Still, I'm looking forward to part two.

Also, Monty Python has ruined the title for me; I can never hear it without thinking of The Semaphore Version of Wuthering Heights!

BeBopBaby

One Too Many
Hubby and I did the same thing while watching Wuthering Heights.

"And now for the very first time on the silver screen comes the film from two books which once shocked a generation. From Emily Brontë's 'Wuthering Heights' and from the 'International Guide to Semaphore Code'. Twentieth Century Vole presents 'The Semaphore Version of Wuthering Heights'."

This review of Wuthering Heights was amusing:

http://janeaustensworld.wordpress.c...heights-review-one-bats-in-heathcliffs-belfry

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
Bwah! That was very entertaining--I especially liked "He is as nuts as they come and I write these words with awe and respect." I also chuckled at "It would have been better if he had hooked up with Tess of the D’urbervilles. Now there’s a woman whose miserable experiences and continual bad luck could have coaxed him out of his self-pity..."

I find it rather odd that WH was voted the #1 love story a few years back. I've never been able to accept WH as a romance. There's obsession yes, no question, but obsession does not equal romance.

BeBopBaby said:
Hubby and I did the same thing while watching Wuthering Heights.

"And now for the very first time on the silver screen comes the film from two books which once shocked a generation. From Emily Brontë's 'Wuthering Heights' and from the 'International Guide to Semaphore Code'. Twentieth Century Vole presents 'The Semaphore Version of Wuthering Heights'."

This review of Wuthering Heights was amusing:

http://janeaustensworld.wordpress.c...heights-review-one-bats-in-heathcliffs-belfry

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
I saw it too and enjoyed it. I thought Catherine looked very modern while she was seeing Heathcliff, as if she had stepped right out of a J. Jill catalog, but the actress seems good in the role. I'm looking forward to watching the rest of it.

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
I can see what you mean--especially the outfit when they're looking at the horses, that bright red (cord?) jacket with the blue skirt. She'd fit right into Greenwich Village!

Paisley said:
I saw it too and enjoyed it. I thought Catherine looked very modern while she was seeing Heathcliff, as if she had stepped right out of a J. Jill catalog, but the actress seems good in the role. I'm looking forward to watching the rest of it.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
imoldfashioned said:
I find it rather odd that WH was voted the #1 love story a few years back. I've never been able to accept WH as a romance. There's obsession yes, no question, but obsession does not equal romance.

"If there is reason in passion, and passion in reason, gentlemen,
can you equate love in Romeo & Juliet; or, pray tell,
Wuthering Heights? Did Romeo love Juliet, and was that
ba***rd foundling Heathcliff merely obsessed with Catherine?"

---Brother Sloan, Eng 101

...ahh this brings back memories. ;)

Antje

One Too Many
I'm looking forward to this version, I don't now if it can beat the 1992 version,
I totally adored that heatcliff, in that version he is sweeter than in th book

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Antje said:
I totally adored that heatcliff, in that version he is sweeter than in th book

Heathcliff and Catherine are tragically flawed personalities; both arguably
beyond redemption and romance, however, Hareton and Catherine redeem
themselves in love-and to some extent the novel itself.

...but Heathcliff remains the more complex for all of this, if not the
more convincing, a shadow of doubt cast on madness.

cecil

A-List Customer
Ethan Bentley said:
Maybe Kate Bush will do the theme tune?

On a serious note that song is why I decided to read the book in the first place and I did enjoy it.

Same! Did you know that she wrote the song before she read the book? Hahaha. I love Kate.

cecil

A-List Customer
imoldfashioned said:
I think the leads are too old but Charlotte Riley looks exactly the way I'd pictured Catherine and though I go back and forth on Tom Hardy overall I'd say he's very good.

Really? Googled it and I always pictured both characters as cupid-lipped blondes. Funny how different people's interpretations are! :D

maggiethespy

A-List Customer
I absolutely adore the part where Heathcliff exhumes Catherine's body. I thought it was wonderfully done-- gave me chills! It was my favorite part!

Also, I can't not associate Emily Bronte and Semaphore.

Antje

One Too Many
Ethan Bentley said:
Maybe Kate Bush will do the theme tune?

On a serious note that song is why I decided to read the book in the first place and I did enjoy it.

You did, me too, and now it is one of my favorite books ever.

Anyways the new version of WH was on belgium tv a couple of weeks ago.
I totally loved this version
I do still think I love the 1992 better but this one was really good.
I can't help it I just always feel so sorry for Heatcliff sigh

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy