Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

WWII Army Officers Dress Shoes

If you're "black-shoe", there are some decent-looking ones in the current Sears Leather Connection catalog if you're on a tight budget.

For the rest of us, any chance on getting some life-expectancy reports? I need something, that while looking like this, can handle a couple miles or so walking every day for a year minimum...

Doug C

Practically Family
I had the WPG ones for a short examination period.. I sent them back because I figured I could do better. I understand that most folk are ok with close enough and also that many officers bought their shoes off site and for that reason they were all over the place on design. BUT, to me there is only one deign that will do.. they should have 6 eyelets with metal reinforcement on the inside only, and those six eyelets cause the laced section of the shoe to be a little longer than most shoes you'll find. The toe box should be slightly bubbled, well not flat but a slightly raised round toe (the correct last). They need to have the correct double stitching outlining the upper blucher area and a single stitch next to the eyelet holes. They should have leather soles and the correct type heal, not too tall and chunky and not sticking out around the perimeter like modern shoes do. Lastly the leather has to be correct, I think it's generally a thicker leather than we find nowadays, it's was probably vegetable tanned too.. which would be hard to get in a repro - though I imagine that's howthe Ricksons are. The perfect brown russet is a must too. Regarding the WPG shoes, my opinion is this: I am totally split on them. On the one hand they are wonderfull and would be awesome for the person that doesn't need exacting details. They have the right last shape (toe box) and that goes along ways toward giving them the right look. The leather sole is nice and the heal had the right shape and design. What let me down about them? Firstly they only had 5 eyelet and so the upper blucher area was short too. Also the upper blutcher area was somewhat uneven, so the laces didn't exactly match up even with the ones across from them. Then there's the leather, it's so different than what we see on originals. The color was right, actually really good but the leather finish was smooth, hard and shiney and well just different compared to my original dark brown Marines version. With that said, I still contemplate ordering them again from time to time. But I know I'd be more happy with the ricksons or a pair of originals (russet).

Doug C

240z

New in Town
I found 2 or 3 decent stunt doubles just at Kohl's.

I bought the Dockers in Cordovan, and my particular pair had a brighter more russet color than shown here. Incorrect toe and eyelets, but decently close and plausible as an officer "personal purchase."

985-19142-p.jpg

They also had these:

0027e66d_360x360.jpg

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
The fighter pilot boots look a lot like WPG's Model 1904 Marching Shoes. One less eyelet, and the ankle ends at the straight edge stitching (in fact the ankle looks inset into the upper). But all leather soles and (apparently) ditto heels.
M1904%20Marching%20Shoe2.jpg

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
These Dexter welted "gunboats" just arrived from an eBay seller ($30 used but not abused).
2969215945_07976e420d.jpg

This is a style not seen much in popular-priced shoes since the early 90s, when the rubber-soled comfort-tech thing started catching on. These are leather-soled and very like LQs except pebble-grained and faux-antique orangey-tan in color. They're also hella stiff.

Wonder if the graining would respond to the back-of-a-hot-spoon treatment...

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
240z said:
I found 2 or 3 decent stunt doubles just at Kohl's.

I bought the Dockers in Cordovan, and my particular pair had a brighter more russet color than shown here. Incorrect toe and eyelets, but decently close and plausible as an officer "personal purchase."

985-19142-p.jpg

Funny, that's what I wear every day. I also have a pair in black, both with flat laces from Rite Aid. Comfortable, hard wearing shoe for the price. I also polish with oxblood polish, which gives the shoe a more "russet" color every time.

-Dave

stanier

New in Town
Hi all,

I'd like to order a pair of the WWII Impressions Russet service shoes, but especially afer some recent experiences with Red Wing and Lone Wolf boots I'm mystified on sizing.

Do the WWII Impressions Russet service shoes run large, or small etc anyone know? Is an EE width the same as E? And how much difference with D width?

Any info from other buyers experiences gratefull appreciated.

For info in the UK I'd typically take a size 8.5 boot, which should be US 9.5, but my experience to date (Red Wing and Lone Wolf) is certainly a US 9, or maybe even 8.5 would be better and it leaves me very confused. The Buzz Rickson low quarters I have are a US 9.5 and fit me perfectly!

filfoster

One Too Many
Military shoes

The What Price Glory site has good, wearable miiltary shoes, British and US. WWII Impressions does also as does At the Front but sizing can be a problem.

German officers, for 'walking out dress' often wore pull on ankle boots that looked a lot like Beatle boots with a rounded toe and lower heel. Don't know who might make those.

stanier

New in Town
Thanks for the info filfoster, and apologies for not being clearer, but I would like the WWII Impressions Service shoe and would like some info on how specifically they fit.

A perfect answer would be if someone maybe has Redwing Gentleman Travellers in a size and the matching size in the service shoes is whatever. Or, maybe even better if someone has Buzz Rickson Low quarters in US size 9.5 what the corresponding size for the WWII Impressions Service shoe is.

But its definatley the WWII Impressions Service shoe that I want.

Cheers all, and any help very gratefully received.

Doug C

Practically Family
Just wanted to let you guys know that I've just posted a really nice pair of original Officer's Low Quarter dress shoes on ebay, size 10.5, auction will end monday feb 2nd. They have all the classic details and are in great condition. I'll discount the shipping if someone from Fedora Lounge gets them.
EDITED* oops, they're gone.

Doug C

Atterbury Dodd

One Too Many
WWII Impressions boots, are they really made in USA?

Hi,

Does anyone know if WWII Impressions boots are really made in the USA?

I just want to make sure as I have heard some confusing things about there boots which they claim are made by Corcoran.

I did search the lounge to find out more about this and didn't find anything conclusive, so sorry if this was already covered.

Doug C

Practically Family
I'm not sure, but I could have sworn I read on this forum somewhere that their boots are still made by corcoran which is still located in .... oh, I can't remember exactly, somewhere in the carolinas or the ozark region of the US [huh] , sorry I know that's not a whole lot of help.

Doug C

I don't have the exact lowdown but there are levels of "Made in USA."
There are questions as to whether ALL of the components were made in the US, only Some, and then there is what portion of Assembled in the USA can carry the moniker of MADE IN THE USA.

However the Feds are really big on listing where something was made and tend to insist the country of origin is listed correctly with fines and such for being incorrect on the box, bag or lable.

My Nissan Pickup was made in Georgia (US) but like most US vehicles components come from all around the globe.

No help, but more questions to follow.

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Hope you do not mind me asking, but why is it so important where the boots are made - isn't it more important if they are historical correct.
And the right size of course.;)

Over here we have found that the quality often suffers when the manufacturing is moved to a thrid world country. Manufacturing and production in places like China requires constant overseeing to mantain quality control. While many places are improving the bitter taste of buying bad stuff in the past tends to keep us very wary.

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
Doug C said:
I'm not sure, but I could have sworn I read on this forum somewhere that their boots are still made by corcoran which is still located in .... oh, I can't remember exactly, somewhere in the carolinas or the ozark region of the US [huh] , sorry I know that's not a whole lot of help.

Doug C

Corcorans were originally made in Massachusetts, the present versions are made by COVE in pennsylvania.
http://www.corcoranandmatterhorn.com/aboutcove.asp

Im not sure if WWIIImpressions still use Corcoran as the manufacturer, but they do recommend Corcoran's exclusive service agent for repairs:
http://www.resole.com/

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner