Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

wwII Crusher hat restoration?

Ken"Hollywood"

New in Town
I bought an USAAF Crusher today. I would like to have it restored. are there any sites that explain how to do this, or buy parts for it? Is there anyone in the Houston, Texas area that you know who can do this? It has a small moth hole on the top, the sweatband is toast and the liner the rest looks good! :eusa_clap Or is there anyone that wants to trade for a reproduction the Darker version?

hat3.jpg

hat2.jpg

hat1.jpg

Hondo

One Too Many
Things you should have thought of before buying, ask your self why you bought it and is it worth the trouble? any restoring is going to be costly; I’d leave it as is. Just an opinion.

Ken"Hollywood"

New in Town
lol :rolleyes: And you posted on my thread, Why? When posting on a Forum you must ask your self some questions first.
1. Do I have the knowledge to help.
2. Is what I say offending anyone.
3. Can I read?
4. Can I comprehend?, (Is the message I am reading, the message I have recieved)
Now I must say your post Is not benificial to me, or to the questions that I asked this forum. Do you perceive that I am without funds or concerned about the cost? No, this must be of your concern, not mine. Thank you, for wasting your time, but unless you can help dont waist mine. :p

J. M. Stovall

Call Me a Cab
Ken"Hollywood" said:
lol :rolleyes: And you posted on my thread, Why? When posting on a Forum you must ask your self some questions first.
1. Do I have the knowledge to help.
2. Is what I say offending anyone.
3. Can I read?
4. Can I comprehend?, (Is the message I am reading, the message I have recieved)
Now I must say your post Is not benificial to me, or to the questions that I asked this forum. Do you perceive that I am without funds or concerned about the cost? No, this must be of your concern, not mine. Thank you, for wasting your time, but unless you can help dont waist mine. :p

I would like to think that us Texians are a little friendlier than that.

Ken"Hollywood"

New in Town
Hondo, I accept your apoligy. Thank you for the Pm. It rubbed me the wrong way this morning while I was having my first cup of coffee. I also apoligise for the response. ;)

Jabos

A-List Customer
Look up the Diamond Hat Co. out of Tulsa on the web. They might help with parts. They are making some super reproduction crushers.

filfoster

One Too Many
crusher restoration

Jabos said:
Look up the Diamond Hat Co. out of Tulsa on the web. They might help with parts. They are making some super reproduction crushers.
Thanks for the tip on this maker. A few years ago, there were several decent sources of reasonable reproductions, that didn't have the plastic inside bands, etc., for example NCHS, Inc. of Springfield Va, and Garcia, and even WWII Impressions. Now these are hit or miss, spotty sizes.

Jabos

A-List Customer
Diamond seems to really be coming out with what seems to be a "definitive" copy of the Bancroft Flighter. I haven't seen one in person, but hope to meet the owner of Diamond soon in Tulsa and order one. I think he has really captured the nuances of the Flighter, at least from the photos on the website. I'm anxious to compare it to the two Flighters in my avitar, both from my grandfather. The one I'm wearing is in excellent shape because he hardly wore it. He "found" the one my son is wearing when he first got to England and started wearing it all the time because it was already more beaten up.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
I got to hold one of the Diamond caps - really, really fine, very well made, and quite authentic. Without doubt the best reproduction available.
There was some debate about the absolute correctness of the fabric weave, but it wouldn't put me off at all.

Pip

A-List Customer
http://www.diamondcapco.com/

I really can't recommend them enough. The owner is a pleasure to deal with and knows his stuff.

The crusher I bought (one of the original $300 ones) really is awe inspiringly excellent, in comparison to my original its spot on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner