Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

WWII Jacket Accessories - Bells, Whistles & Tags

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Ever wondered what little extras on your A-2 would lift it above the run-of-the-mill Mall jacket? Well if you don't want to have squadron/groups patches stitched all over it, how about one of these?

These accessories were worn for chic, luck, and just plain common sense. You can now get these as reproductions to adorn your favourite 40 mission A-2. But, if you keep an eye out, things like the 'lucky charm' Capri Bell from Italy, the RAF aircrew survival whistle (attached to the throat hook, just as the bell would be) can still be found occasionally on Ebay and at militaria meetings.

The Aerial bomb tags (in brass), are just like finding the Holy Grail now, as they were replaced earlier on in the war with card-board tags, to save metal for munitions. So if you can get one, keep it!!

Anyway, here we go...

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Whistles...

RAF brass survival whistle with AM (Air Ministry) stamp and numbered. Commonly worn on the A-2 throat hook, in case you had to ditch in the grimey!

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Capri Bell

When AAF aircrew were on R&R on the island of Capri, they often bought these 'good luck' bells and attached them to the throat hook of their flight jacket.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Brass aerial bomb tag

These were taken off when the bombs were armed, prior to dropping. Often the 'fashion conscious' airman, popped one on his Talon/Crown/Conmar zipper to both look cool, but also to operate the zip when wearing large flight gloves. These are like hen's teeth to get hold of now guys, as the cardboard ones became more common as the war progressed.

PrettyBigGuy

A-List Customer
I'll 2nd that! I've been on a BIG WWII kick lately (it's starting to get on my fianc?ɬ©'s nerves!). so your posts have been a lot of fun.
I remeber seeing a nickel plated whistle hanging from the neck eyelet of an A-2 worn by Captain Yossarian aboard the Queen Mary last year and I thought it was a nice addition.

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Just whistle

The Acme Thunderer Whistle, I have one in brass and nickle.....they are still issue for the boys in blue, Boy Scouts, and many of the women joggers using our local parks carry them ("rape whistles").

I have not seen ones stamped with that logo....interesting. Paddy, you have boosted this thread!

Nathan Flowers

Head Bartender
Staff member
High quality...hmm...Are you sure, Dave?

I've seen ACME products blow up in the face of countless coyotes. Please be careful. ;)

STHill

One of the Regulars
Good point, Zohar. I believe ACME had some quality control issues in the '60s, especially with their TNT and dynamite-related products.

Bogie1943

Practically Family
See this is the kind of stuff I love about the AAF, just these little details and good luck charms, they were interesting lads no doubt. I knew about the whistles PADDY, but I never knew about the bomb tags or the bells. I always thought a rabbits foot would be something they would have attached to their A-2's. When you take into account all the wild jacket art and patch work they put all over their jackets, anything is possible.

The Wingnut

One Too Many
The capri bells are a bit hard to get, but the bomb tags and whistles can be had from Aero Leather of Scotland.

http://www.aeroleatherclothing.com/

I've got a pair of their RAF '36 pattern flight boots, one of their whistles, and I'm contemplating getting a bomb tag should I ever be able to justify the price.

Bogie1943

Practically Family
Thanks a ton Wingnut, I will deck my A-2 put with a whistle and bomb tag thanks to you. I have been looking for a whistle forever, a proper whistle that is, I knew of Aero, just never knew they had these items.

Forrestal

One of the Regulars
Here?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s a little bit of useless information concerning the Acme Thunderer Whistle.
It is the whistle used by National Hockey League referees and linesman.

Aren?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢t you all glad I shared this with you?
Regards,
Forrestal

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Repro Capri Bells (inside info...)

Originally posted by The Wingnut
The capri bells are a bit hard to get, but the bomb tags and whistles can be had from Aero Leather of Scotland.

When you contact AERO in Scotland, drop my name to them, and ask that they set aside one of their new Capri Bells (repros) for your A-2 They will be selling them very soon (but keep that under your 40 mission crusher!!).

Hope that is useful :)

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Just reminded of the dice on the A2 zip!

Another little piece of personal decor on the A-2 flying jacket, was a drilled dice that was then attached to the zip, as a puller (easier to hold with large flying gloves on).

Functional, yet very 'chic,' just like the aerial bomb tag on the zip!

I suppose the dice, was a play on Lady Luck and Luck of the Throw..etc.

Well I am thinking of putting my A-2 to bed for the winter and getting the Irvin or B10 out of mothballs for the winter as temperatures drop in Western Europe.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael