Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

WWII Jeep in a Crate? Apocryphal? True?

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
At $50.00 a pop, I buy my Jeeps by the carload! lol

army_jeep_for_sale3.jpg

-dixon 'GP' cannon

MPicciotto

Practically Family
Dixon Cannon said:
At $50.00 a pop, I buy my Jeeps by the carload! lol

army_jeep_for_sale3.jpg

-dixon 'GP' cannon

Was additional bracing used when shipped this way? I find it hard to believe that the front fenders would support a Jeep. I know they weren't that heavy, but still the tire is a pretty small contact point for several hundred pounds on what I don't see as terribly sturdy fenders, I mean decent, but not that strong. Same for the rear too, I would think there would be something in there otherwise none of those toolboxes would open again.

Matt

C

csmiller

Bracing

MPicciotto said:
Was additional bracing used when shipped this way? I find it hard to believe that the front fenders would support a Jeep. I know they weren't that heavy, but still the tire is a pretty small contact point for several hundred pounds on what I don't see as terribly sturdy fenders, I mean decent, but not that strong. Same for the rear too, I would think there would be something in there otherwise none of those toolboxes would open again.

Matt

Hi Matt,

Where the finger is pointing looks like maybe it might be a brace of some kind, but I am not sure. I agree with you. Just doesn't seem right that one jeep could sit on top of another without damage - especially being strapped down as they were.

army_jeep_for_sale3_pointing.jpg

Craig

Dudleydoright

A-List Customer
I can recall while working heli-borne seismic surveying a good few years back stopping off at an old Alaska Highways base that had old, tumble-down buildings and in those were creates of all sorts of things: jeep parts, generators and all sorts of other stuff like food and clothing, in various states of ruin. Many of the parts were still in crates and cosmoline.
Must've been an early scouting base or some such as it was a good ways from the highway itself where it now runs.

I also saw a WW2 bomber in Northern canada that was sitting at the bottom of a lake. It looked like a Wimpy / Wellington. The water was cold and clear and the plane shone.

Dave

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
KingTigerII said:
I'd buy a Jeep in a crate in a heartbeat XD
A little off topic but would anyone be interested in buying some beach front property I have in Nevada?
I'll trade you for my prime ocean front property in Kansas!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran