Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

WWII P-38 Fighter Discovered in Wales

Story

I'll Lock Up
Four men in Casco Township, Mich., have unearthed pieces of what they say is a World War II-era fighter plane that crashed 71 years ago in a southeastern Michigan farm field.

According to news reports, Jim Clary, his brother, Ben – an 88-year-old WWII veteran – and two other men used metal detectors to make the find earlier this month in St. Clair County. There they uncovered several shards of the plane about 8 inches down in the dirt.

The recovered fragments are from a P-38D Lightning that was piloted by 2nd Lt. Al Voss, a native of Elgin, Ill., assigned to the 94th Pursuit Squadron stationed at Selfridge air base in Michigan, Jim Clary told the Times Herald of Port Huron. Voss was killed trying to parachute from the diving plane on Oct. 15, 1941, the Daily Tribune of Royal Oak reported.

http://www.militarytrader.com/milit...-wwii-fighter-plane?et_mid=590033&rid=3365091

fashion frank

One Too Many
This story also reminds me of all the planes they have been finding in the infamious "bermuda triangle " area .
I was watching a show on this topic and there are tons of them in water that at times is no more than six feet deep, its just that they are sitting out in remote places and no one is out there to stumble across them.

All the Best, Fashion Frank

Dudleydoright

A-List Customer
A full restoration to fly again ??????? C'mon folks, that's a bit too whimsical. 65+ years submerged in SALT water....... the only original piece would be the brass data plate.

any word on the Burmese Spitfires ? It's all gone real quiet since they were supposed to start digging at the end of October .....

Whithead

Familiar Face
P-38 Restoration

Was at the NATIONAL WORLD WAR II AIR MUSEUM in Colorado Springs last weekend. It has only been open a couple weeks.

The tour includes a tour of the WesPac Restoration hanger where they are working on TWO P-38 restorations to flying condition...they had been buried in a pit in the Pacific and were only recently uncovered.

If you get to Colorado Springs, I highly recommend the new Museum.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran