Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

WWII Peacoat Acquisition

Philalethes

A-List Customer
I was never a peacoat guy. I never understood the baggy black coats my friends would wear. And why did they have anchor buttons? They just didn't seem right to me.

Then a few months ago I tried on my father-in-law's peacoat - probably from the 60s or so. It was warm and comfortable. I liked the lapels. I didn't even mind the anchor buttons.

So I started browsing Ebay for a deal - anything with corduroy pockets. I became fascinated with the idea of the throat closure, so I kept an eye out for a WWII coat. A few weeks ago, I found one.

It is one of the best jackets I own. I usually do not like navy blue, but the midnight blue of the peacoats, which doesn't really come across in pictures, is superb. The coat is heavier than many knee-length overcoats I have worn. It is warm. I haven't worn it in rain yet, but it laughs off wind. And the throat closure is fantastic. While it isn't quite as warm as a scarf, since it doesn't sit right on the neck, it is adequate - and fun, since few wool jackets have that option. The corduroy-lined pockets are great. And the fact that the jacket is truly double-breasted - buttons up on both sides - is a detail I appreciate, even if I don't want to button up on the left like a girl. It just seems right that those buttons could be put to use, if I wanted them to.

Is there anything wrong with the coat? No, put it might be worth mentioning that a WWII peacoat is a very snug fit. My peacoat measures 20" underarm-to-underarm. My chest measures 37" (38"+ with layering), and the fit is slightly tight in the chest and restricting in the arms. If one likes a looser fit, one should either consider a later-era peacoat or go up one size - although the latter will not be an option for most of us: the largest WWII peacoat I have seen is size 42. Most for sale seem to be either 36, 38, or 40.

Last edited:

Dave E

One of the Regulars
Very nice indeed.

Having picked up a Peacoat this winter I must admit I'm very tempted to look for a WW2 version before next winter comes around. I really like the difference in line the extra buttons give.

Dodo

Familiar Face
really nice acquisition!! I like the snug fit of your peacoat!! can you tell us which size is it? even if it is 20" pit to pit it should be a 38? or am I wrong?

CR141

Familiar Face
Pictures in which I reveal my identity (and the stupidest face I have ever made in my life).

With the jacket open:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

In action:

Collar up:

Thanks to Peacoat for all his help, and for Grayland's recent thread on peacoats, which inspired me to finally put this up.

Great looking peacoat and it fits you perfectly. Would you mind if I asked where in upstate NY you live? I'm in western NY(Niagara Falls to be exact).

Philalethes

A-List Customer
Thanks for all the kind words.

Very nice indeed.

Having picked up a Peacoat this winter I must admit I'm very tempted to look for a WW2 version before next winter comes around. I really like the difference in line the extra buttons give.

Yes, do indeed pick one up if you can find one in your size. The primary purpose of my post is to convince others to acquire a WWII peacoat (or any kersey wool corduroy pocket peacoat, for that matter).

Philalethes

A-List Customer
really nice acquisition!! I like the snug fit of your peacoat!! can you tell us which size is it? even if it is 20" pit to pit it should be a 38? or am I wrong?

There is no size label in the coat, but if I am measuring the coat properly (according to the method Peacoat lays out in his sticky), then, yes, it should be a 38.

Philalethes

A-List Customer
Great looking peacoat and it fits you perfectly. Would you mind if I asked where in upstate NY you live? I'm in western NY(Niagara Falls to be exact).

I live not too far from Niagara, in the very pleasant city of Rochester. Alas, for family reasons I will be moving away this year to southeastern Pennsylvania. I will miss the snow, spectacular Springs (they call it the Flower City for a reason), mild summers, German festivals, and the Finger Lakes.

EmergencyIan

Practically Family
Great looking WWII Pea Coat!

I own a near mint WWII era USN Pea Coat with the size tag still attached below the inside of the collar. It's a size 38 and measures (with the coat buttoned) 20 1/4 inches from armpit to armpit. I measured 3 times to be certain.

- Ian

Peacoat

Bartender
And 20 1/4 is just about what I would expect for the WWII peacoat in a size 38. Philalethes has a snug 38. Glad you guys are enjoying the really vintage peacoats. Hard to beat them.

JanSolo

Practically Family
Wow!!! Ehm, in fact double wow!! Great coat, excellent fit and a stylish fellow. I really like the pictures... you wear it well! I envy you! I wish I'd gotten one of those really old ones in mint shape at a good price...
Enjoy yours!

Spoonbelly

One of the Regulars
I found a WWII pea coat this past winter on ebay. It is a size 46 (armpit to armpit = 24 inches). I don't know if they made 48s back then. It is just about, if not, in new condition. The buttons were even a little tight to close and open. The lengths of WWII pea coats I think are approx. 1 inch shorter then the post war coats. The collars are also a bit wider. I'm assuming to make up for the chin strap. I'm lucky that this one had the sleeves lengthen a bit, as I think the sleeve length of WWII coats might be a tinch shorter (half inch maybe?) then the post WWII counter parts. I was very lucky to find this coat in the size and condition that it is in. I also have 5 other post WWII coats in size 46, and a black one ( modern day) in 46XL. I'm crazy about the WWII coats, but I think I prefer the post war ones. I'm in Hopewell Jct. (Dutchess Co. N.Y.).

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Great fit, Philalethes! There's really nothing more flattering than a properly fitting peacoat. And that is the charming smile of delighted man!

Philalethes

A-List Customer
Wow!!! Ehm, in fact double wow!! Great coat, excellent fit and a stylish fellow. I really like the pictures... you wear it well! I envy you! I wish I'd gotten one of those really old ones in mint shape at a good price...
Enjoy yours!

Thanks for the very kind compliments, Jan. It is possible to obtain a WWII peacoat for a good price: mine cost $50, and I have seen them sell for as low as $20. I think it helps to be a smaller size (38 or below), for which presumably there is less demand. It may help also to be not only a smaller size but a short size: these seem to sell for the least.

I have seen just as many vintage peacoats with tears, etc. as ones in good shape. I double-checked with the seller of mine that it had no major problems, and I lucked out: the only wear to mine is on some of the button holes (which seems easily repairable with some stitching) and a small part of the lining has worn through.

Last edited:

Philalethes

A-List Customer
I found a WWII pea coat this past winter on ebay. It is a size 46 (armpit to armpit = 24 inches). I don't know if they made 48s back then. It is just about, if not, in new condition. The buttons were even a little tight to close and open. The lengths of WWII pea coats I think are approx. 1 inch shorter then the post war coats. The collars are also a bit wider. I'm assuming to make up for the chin strap. I'm lucky that this one had the sleeves lengthen a bit, as I think the sleeve length of WWII coats might be a tinch shorter (half inch maybe?) then the post WWII counter parts. I was very lucky to find this coat in the size and condition that it is in. I also have 5 other post WWII coats in size 46, and a black one ( modern day) in 46XL. I'm crazy about the WWII coats, but I think I prefer the post war ones. I'm in Hopewell Jct. (Dutchess Co. N.Y.).

Wow, 46 is huge for a WWII peacoat, at least from what I have seen: that is a rare find. The collars of WWII peacoats do appear a little larger, though I have no others peacoats to compare mine to. I could see how someone might prefer the open lapels of the post war coats: as Peacoat says, they have a "neater presentation", and they probably make it easier to wear with a scarf. In addition, my WWII coat can ride up a little when seated, especially with all the buttons closed. I take these as trade-offs for the versatility of a WWII coat.

Last edited:

Pea Felix

New in Town
Bump.

Hello to the Lounge. I'm the happy possessor of a nice 1966 peacoat, found on eBay thanks to the marvelous tips from Mr.Peacoat.
It's 19'' p2p (measured Mr.Peacoat style), 17,7'' shoulder seam to shoulder seam, 25'' from shoulder seam to end of the cuff, and it fits well to my chest circumference of 36'', leaving room for some layering.
I love it, but I find it to be slightly baggy (maybe it's a little deformed from use):

r8z40w.jpg

v2tslx.jpg

6savyq.jpg

Looking for a snugger fit (particularly around the waist), I spotted a WWII peacoat with a p2p of 18,5'', shoulders 17,5'', arms 24''. On paper it looks spot-on, since the WWII shape appears to be more kind of slim-fit, but this quote from you put me on alarm:
Is there anything wrong with the coat? No, put it might be worth mentioning that a WWII peacoat is a very snug fit. My peacoat measures 20" underarm-to-underarm. My chest measures 37" (38"+ with layering), and the fit is slightly tight in the chest and restricting in the arms.
In a post-war peacoat a p2p of 20'' should be quite comfortable for a 37'' chest. Maybe it's a matter of armholes position? I have no idea.
Now I'm wondering if with a WWII coat I should stick to a p2p of 19'', nothing less.
Doubt, doubts, doubts. Lately, I think too much about peacoats, and too little about the rest of my life.
Could you kind Loungers help me to move away from this impasse?
Best Regards,

Felix

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy